Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - onalark page 11

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    My legs are protesting yesterday's workout. This is good!

I have meals for the rest of the week and that is also good. My biggest problem with the no-nightshades/dairy/eggs dealio is it makes eating out hard, and you have to have food on hand. The closest I've come to a "quick" meal I can make in literally seconds from pantry staples is avocado, canned salmon, lemon juice, and olive oil. In fact, once my avocados ripen, that'll be my lunch sometime this week. Muy delicioso and it gets me my Omega-3s!

Still a bit sore, but it's on its way out. Weight went up a tick, but I expect that's because of water retention due to muscle blah blah blah.

I also ate around 1988 calories yesterday, give or take ~50.

Porkchops tonight. Avocado salmon salad for lunch. Waistline still going down. I really hope the Body by Science approach works, because holy jeez, guys, 12 minutes a week? How can you beat that?

The cycle of crap, and how I escaped it:

As a low-fat, high-fiber dieter, I learned that missing meals was DEATH. Okay, maybe not death...but it made me squirrely. Confused. Foggy. Angry. I hated it. I hated it so much, that I never missed a meal. Because if I did, I became a danger to myself and others. Also, it made my hands shake and gave me headaches. Keep those Fiber One bars on hands at all times, girls!

I remember trying to live on 1200 calories a day this way. It simply was not possible. I was a mess. So I ate to relieve the symptoms, and I didn't lose weight. Until I'd go through a month of self-hatred, measuring every bite that fit in my mouth, and then I'd drop two or three pounds and feel better...until I missed breakfast, and then I'd start gnawing on my work desk for sustenance.

As a high-fat, high-protein, low-carb...well, I don't really want to call it dieter. Let's call it food eater, I am only just now (just now!) coming to accept that I Can Get Away With This. I can skip lunch -- maybe eat a piece of fruit -- and it's not going to kill me. I can eat 1200 calories a day, and not be starved. In fact, it's what I naturally fall to if I don't over-fill my plate or have a ton of food to fall on.

This is something I just don't think most of my oh-so-slim doctors and friends ever "got". You really do not know this sense of panic and fear of hunger until you have lived it day in, day out for 10 years. The brain fog is scary. Really scary. Like, "I should not be driving cars" scary. Freeing my brain of that fear has taken -- literally! -- 10 months. 10 months. Really.

And I'm still working on it.

The next step is to be able to do a lunch with friends at a place that is wildly non-primaleo and not get any food. If I can do that, I'll know I've mastered this. I think I'm there.

Those are my thoughts for today. Smoked some beef ribs and two more tri-tips. Made a shit-ton of slow foods (brown butter, the aforementioned smoky meats, sourdough buckwheat pancakes, shrimp- and clam-stock) and I have a couple more to do tomorrow. We're thinking about doing a loooong walk tomorrow. Pray for sunshine!

We bought a freezer. Whoo!

Body by Science week two. Last week I felt it in my thighs. This week I feel it in my arms and back. The day after I always seem to gain about a pound, which I expect is my body flipping out and holding on to water. Also, my period starts today or tomorrow.

Liver for breakfast. I find I can take about 1/4 lb before my tastebuds revolt. I need to find a good pate recipe and start making it because pan-fried (even with bacon and onions) just ain't happening.

As of this morning I'm at my wedding day weight (152.7 lbs). I didn't measure my waist/hips, but I'll do that tomorrow (was at 31/35" on Thursday). Whoo!

So here are the things that are working for me, the chick with Hashimoto's and 25 more pounds to lose:
    • I'm counting calories. This is not for everyone, I know, but it's for me. I keep myself under 2000, mostly protein and fat, some carbs. I usually come in around 1400-1600 calories a day.
    • Carbs are at around 50-70g a day, usually from veggies, nuts, berries, chocolate. I rarely eat pieces of fruit like apples and pears, but do if I feel like it and they're handy. I eat starches like sweet potato about 2-3 times a week.
    • Following the autoimmune protocol. This means no eggs, dairy, nightshades, ibuprofen.
    • No hard exercise, except for Body by Science on Sundays. I do walk a lot at work. My job is technically sedentary, but I have to get up constantly to go to meetings and talk to people, so I'm not always sitting.

I'm a small woman (63 inches) and scaling back my portions has been the hardest thing for me to learn. This took almost a year to get to. I think it's working, though. Finally.
    Last edited by onalark; 01-21-2012 at 02:07 PM.

I have this beautiful long black skirt I wear occasionally with an elastic waistband. It was slipping off my hips all Saturday night. I am secretly pleased by this.

Patterns are patterns. The day after my Sunday workout, my weight is up .5 pounds. I like that my body is being predictable.

Final week of my 30-day avoidance of nightshades. Decided already that the first thing on the "reintroduce and see" list is going to be tomatoes, followed by chiles, followed by butter, followed by cheese, followed by eggs. Yes, eggs last. I really do NOT miss eggs. (But I miss them in baking.)

I started to post this in the Bulletproof Coffee thread, but then my moderator self piped up and mentioned that it would be better placed here. So without further adieu:

In case it wasn't obvious, I've been trying to crack my personal safe on losing weight with Hashimoto's. I've tried the leptin reset, I've tried Whole 30, I've tried beating myself up with Crossfit, I've tried switching myself to liothyroxine + levothyroxine (which I'm still on). I've had a year, so I've had a lot of time to collect data and twiddle with the dials.

What I'm doing right now is paleo with the autoimmune elimination (no dairy, eggs, nightshades) combined with calories in, calories out. I am not limiting myself strictly to 1200 calories, though that's what I strive for; my upper roof is 1600. I seem to have a threshold where I maintain, but it's higher than when I was high carb, low fat. I also try to get iodine NATURALLY (I eat seaweed) and selenium NATURALLY (soaked and dried brazil nuts). I am avoiding supplements because I just believe whole foods are the better choice. Always the better choice.

I am also not crazy-limiting carbs. I'm trying to keep around 50-70g. This is supposedly one of the big balancing tricks of Hashimoto's, so I've been keeping in mind that I shouldn't be TOO low carb. Chocolate, sweet potatoes, and blueberries are my primary source of carbohydrates (aside from the vegetables I eat at lunch and dinner).

So far I've noticed two things: I'm sleeping better (no more night terrors), and the scale/tape measure are going in the right direction. So that's good.

Trusting that my body is not going to go into a hypoglycemic state if I eat a lighter lunch has really been a hard hurdle to leap over. I'm almost there. I admit I still have doubts on some days. But I swear I'm almost there.

Also, no nightshades/dairy/eggs almost guarantees I cook my own meals or get them from the salad bar (with some meat on the side). I love my gluten-free cheats, but this month of what is essentially no cheating has really driven home what I can accomplish when I stick to my guns.
    Last edited by onalark; 01-28-2012 at 06:41 PM.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Onalark, good luck with it all. Just wanted to ask why no hard exercise that you mentioned a few comments up?
    Re supps agree that best to get from food if we can otherwise if very depleted supps can be good in the interim to top up but being careful not to upset the balance of other vitamins/minerals.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    Onalark, good luck with it all. Just wanted to ask why no hard exercise that you mentioned a few comments up?
    Re supps agree that best to get from food if we can otherwise if very depleted supps can be good in the interim to top up but being careful not to upset the balance of other vitamins/minerals.
    I'm experimenting with Body by Science, which means I lift hard one day a week. I also get a lot of walking in at work and on weekends (my husband and I are avid hikers).

I loved Crossfit, but I didn't have the time for it, plus it wore me down. I seem to be losing fine without beating myself up with exercise, and since I've never tried not over-exerting myself, I figured this was a good time to give it a shot.

There's also this food for thought:
    Why You May Need To Exercise Less

One thing I do need to work back in are sprints. I know they're lacking right now. Was doing them for a while, but then my husband pulled a muscle and I've been lax. I just need to haul my ass out of bed and do it.

Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast