Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Health and fitness books recomendations? page

Dharma_Punk is offline Senior Member

Health and fitness books recomendations?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm looking for some good books to read on the subjects of overall paleo/primal health and fitness. Love surfing the web, but nothing beats a good old fashioned book on occasion. Just finished Why We Get Fat, was a decent read, but really just a condensed version of Good Calories, Bad Calories, which I also enjoyed. I've also read Dr. Cordains The Primal Diet and The Primal Diet for Athletes, although I don't agree with his super restricted approach. I've read Dr. Bernstiens Diabetic Solution, which was one of the books that got me on the low carb thing years ago. And of course I've read The Primal Blueprint.

As far as fitness I haven't read too much actuall print material except Ross Enamit's Never Gymless, and Infinite Intensity, both great reads for bodyweight and gymless exercise routine, and very primal. (He has a website with good info too, rossboxing.com and rosstraining.com)

So, any ideas? Open to good spiritual/enlightening stuff too.
    “To insure good health: eat lightly, breathe deeply, live moderately, cultivate cheerfulness, and maintain an interest in life.” - William Londen

ennasirk is offline Senior Member
    Most of these are more about food/food production/nutrition generally but have quite a bit of applicability to primal/paleo (all are books I read on my way here ...)

The End of Overeating - David Kessler
    The Omnivore's Dilemma - Michael Pollan
    In Defense of Food - Michael Pollan
    The Compassionate Carnivore - Catherine Friend
    Everything I Want to Do Is Illegal - Joel Salatin
    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    The newest one on the block is "Everyday Paleo." Check it out on Amazon...

Amazon.com: Everyday Paleo (9780982565810): Sarah Fragoso, Robb Wolf: Books

It has 99 reviews... 98 5 stars and 1 lonely 4 star. I shop on Amazon as much as anyone and have NEVER seen those kind of reviews. I bought a copy myself and can not wait to dive into it. The sales rank is #74 overall right now and it keeps climbing.

Its more about family and is apparently completely unique to any other primal/paleo/low carb book out there.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Dharma_Punk is offline Senior Member
    Look like some good recomendations, I will have to add them to my too read list. I looked them up at the library, they have them all, and they are all checked out and I am like number 15 on the waiting list.
    “To insure good health: eat lightly, breathe deeply, live moderately, cultivate cheerfulness, and maintain an interest in life.” - William Londen

gordo is offline Senior Member
    You might look at "Starting Strength" by Rippetoe. Not paleo, but good.

"Core Performance" by Verstegen has, hands down, the best warmup routine that I've ever done and lots of bodyweight/dumbell exercises.

"Jump Rope Training" by Lee is good, and in a totally different direction.

Gordo

rockrunner Guest
    If you like running or want to try it in a low intensity way I really like Phil Maffetone's book "The Big Book of Endurance training and racing ". Its more than a running book with diet and injury prevention included. It meshes well with Primal diet and barefoot/minimalist running, I was already doing these things before I found this book and it matches what I had basically learned on my own thru trial and error. The diet part is really the basics of Primal presented in a more general way. There is nothing in this book that can't be found out on the internet already but it is handy to have it in one place.
    Last edited by rockrunner; 05-01-2011 at 11:30 AM.

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    People seem to like the books "Deep Nutrition" and "The Perfect Health Diet" I have not read either, but I am thinking of picking them up.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JKC View Post
    People seem to like the books "Deep Nutrition" and "The Perfect Health Diet" I have not read either, but I am thinking of picking them up.
    I have both of thus books on my amazon wish list. Along with dozens of other books...
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Bissen is offline Senior Member
    I just ordered Perfect Health Diet

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    Even though it's only tangentially related, I like "The Unhealthy Truth" by Robyn O'Brien. There are a lot of really gross details about factory farming, why it's bad to give hormones to cows, stuff like that. Also a lot of uplifting anecdotes about getting her kids to eat cleaner.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast