Thread: Vibram Fivefingers on asphalt page

888erkan888 is offline Member

Vibram Fivefingers on asphalt

Primal Fuel
    A few weeks ago I bought FF's and i have used them almost everyday, but not all the time. I walk around alot on asphalt in them but now I see that the undersurface has started to look roughened. Perhaps its just some small details in the rubber that just gets affected quickly? Or are Vibrams not made for asphalt?

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    a little wear and tear is going to happen naturally. i haven't encountered a surface that cause noticeable damage to my vibrams, and that includes a lot of rocky mountain paths and road running.

JenCat is offline Senior Member
    I have worn holes in the heals of mine and the spot under the big toe is wearing thin for some reason. I wear them everyday for pretty much everything, except in the winter. I'm really not a runner, so usually it's walking, running errands, lifting, etc. Haven't spent much time on asphalt, but they do wear out.

Classic is offline Senior Member
    The Classic and Sprint style are thinner than the KSO's etc. I have used bicycle tube patches to beef up the spots on mine that start getting really thin or holes. Seems to work pretty well for awhile. Just keep applying new ones when the patches wear out.

norak is offline Senior Member
    Of course they wear out. How else would Vibram convince you to buy new ones?

I've noticed some barefoot shoes advertised with kevlar soles, which supposedly makes them last longer, but I forgot which brand it was.

Stallion is offline Senior Member
    I've used my KSOs on sidewalks and paved trails for over a year without too much wear. I got a spanking new pair of Komodos this week though...it's like moving from a Geo Storm to a Mercedes. The komodos are sweet!

lizzychan5 is offline Senior Member
    i have the kso treks, wore them every day last summer, ran everywhere in them, did a half marathon and 15 k. The bottoms still look nice, the kso treks hold up real well. Kangaroo leather FTW!

888erkan888 is offline Member
    i have the KSO's, but im thinking of getting another stronger pair to use for exercise only. so the KSO treks are recommended?

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    KSO Treks are good, as are the new Komodo Sport. I have a pair of the Komodos for use when I play sports (e.g., basketball) due to the more substantial sole. They've been great thus far.
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    They're shoes - and like with all shoes, their soles aren't indestructible. So if you're using them a lot, get used to the idea of having to replace them as you would any other type of shoe. :-)