Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Working out like mad, eating little and still no weight loss? page

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member

Working out like mad, eating little and still no weight loss?

Shop Now
    I've loosely translated this from an article written by Børge A. Fagerli, MyRevolution Coach Team

If you're working out a lot and not eating much, and still not loosing weight the solution is not to work out even more and eating even less. What your body is believing is that you are running shit scared from a pack of predators through the woods, with no time to eat or sleep. Stress sky rockets and your body goes into survival mode. Clamping down on those fat stores so you have energy to run while using less energy.

* What you got to do to do is to end this shit and drop the chronic cardio, max 20 - 30 minutes of moderate pace 3 - 4 days a week. The cardio shouldn't be paced so high that you cannot talk without getting winded. Walking to and from the bus, work, grocery, etc. counts.

* 3 - 4 short, but effective resistance workouts per week. Such as 5 x 5 program. Heavy weights, not the 2 lbs stuff. No high rep, low weight shit. You should lift as heavy as you can muster.

* Increase your calories gradually, primarily from carbohydrates, 200 kcal/day each week until the weight has stabilized

Increase with 50 grams of carbohydrate per day the first week, primarily in the meals right after the workouts, but you could also spread it out throughout the day.

The next week you increase with 200 kcal/day once more, from carbohydrates if you wish, but you can also split it with 10 grams of fat and 30 grams of carbohydrate.

Usually you have to get up to at least 33 - 35 kcal/kg bodyweight per day, and then stick with it i at least 2 weeks, preferably 3 - 4 weeks before you even think about dieting again. Some need to be around 40 kcal/kg bodyweight.

Do not step on the weight during this period, stick to the program, even if you feel bloated and have water retention. If you finish the process the body allows to normalize and the water retention will vanish, and take with it extra water as well because you will have your stress levels and cortisol under control again.

When you're ready to reduce your food intake again - do so very slowly and carefully. Some wants to do it quickly and goes straight back to a tough diet and tenfolds the amount of cardio - and ends right back at square one. Impatience is the best saboteur the human kind has ever had.

So, you did it and you feel great! What now. Adjust your calories down with about 100 - 150 kcal. Or 100 kcal on resistance workout days, and 200 kcal on cardio/rest days. Withhold the amount of carbohydrates as much as possible, especially in the meals after resistance workout. At the same day it is recommended that you keep the protein intake of about 2,5 grams per kg bodyweight, and the fat intake of at least 20 - 30 grams per day.

Usually this leads to a weight loss of about 200 - 300 grams per week, then reduce with another 100 - 150 kcal again. Do not look on daily variation of weight, but use an average of the week. Resist the urge to adjust down the amount of calories when you're doing good in the belief that it will go even faster. It won't, and you'll crash and burn. Again.

This way people who have had no success on a low calorie high intensity training program starts to drop weight and increase strength with an appropriate amount of calories per day. Usually in the range of 1800 - 2200 kcal per day.

"But, but, but," you say. "I don't work out or move a lot during the day." Sorry, humans were born to move around, lift heavy shit and in general be active. If we were meant lying around doing nothing on a coach we would have been born a fatty blob with a thumb to flip the channels of the TV. Get your ass off of the coach and get moving. There are only poor excuses to not work out.

"But, but, but," you say. "That is a massive amount of carbohydrate, I am going to die from diabetes!!!" Yeah, if you are a 200 kg massive blob with no workout program or not moving around at all, you might. For someone somewhat fit, and doing as the program describes above. No. Get real.

Original article, translated by google: What to do when you do not lose weight on little food and a lot of practice
    Last edited by Sungrazer; 04-29-2011 at 10:12 AM.
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

Bissen is offline Senior Member
    A lot of it sounds reasonable to me - except for the high-carb thing...

norak is offline Senior Member
    Interesting article. The carb advise may be a bit off, but other than that it made sense to me.

Yeah, I calculated that at the end of the second week I would be eating carbs equivalent of 2 kg ( ~4 lbs ) boiled rice, per day or 560 grams of carbs, 215 grams of protein and about 40 grams of fat each day. I've asked the author of the original article if I have understood that correctly.

Also, note that the author of the original article thinks this is an extreme diet, but needed to refire the metabolism.
    Last edited by Sungrazer; 04-29-2011 at 03:12 AM.

My journal

I see grain people...

Yup, I misunderstood the article. If you eat 100 grams of carb normally do +50 more each day first week, +30 more the second week.

Thus

1st week 100 + 50 = 150 grams per day
    2nd week 150 + 30 = 180 grams per day
    3rd week 180 + 30 = 210 grams per day

until the weight stabilizes, then do as described.

My journal

I see grain people...

primalprincess7 is offline Senior Member
    interesting
    I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bissen View Post
    A lot of it sounds reasonable to me - except for the high-carb thing...
    Quote Originally Posted by norak View Post
    Interesting article. The carb advise may be a bit off, but other than that it made sense to me.
    And why do you think you two are unique snowflakes that doesn't melt in the summer and keep on doing what's not working? This technique is tested true on a lot of Børge A. Fagerli's customers, with a consistent result. Providing that the subjects actually do follow the method described.

My journal

I see grain people...

Bissen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sungrazer View Post
    And why do you think you two are unique snowflakes that doesn't melt in the summer and keep on doing what's not working? This technique is tested true on a lot of Børge A. Fagerli's customers, with a consistent result. Providing that the subjects actually do follow the method described.
    I'm just saying it's pretty far from what's been advertised on this forum...

norak is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sungrazer View Post
    I'm not oppsed to trying it, but it's not at the top of my list right now (getting rid of my sugar addiction is--it was going well for a while, but then I had a relapse. ). Once I get things "under control" I might be open to trying other things if whatever I'm doing at the time isn't working.

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Bissen View Post
    I'm just saying it's pretty far from what's been advertised on this forum...
    Yes, but this advice caters to those who are ever restricting carbs and calories while working out like mad and they still don't drop any weight. They need to adapt and learn. Not become carbophobic. Which I see a lot of around here. 210 to 240 grams of carbohydrate a day isn't going to do you harm, especially when coming from starchy sources AND you are having an activity level that exceeds a couch potato.

My journal

I see grain people...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast