Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Working out like mad, eating little and still no weight loss? page 2

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I assume the increased carb intake is advised because it upregulates hormones that are decreased when dieting. It might be fine as a short term intervention, but I think 200+ grams carbohydrate is too much for many of the overweight and insulin resistant people on this forum who might not exercise. As long as the calorie deficit isn't too great then I think reverting back to a carb intake of 50-100 grams after a few weeks would be best for fat loss.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sungrazer View Post
    Yes, but this advice caters to those who are ever restricting carbs and calories while working out like mad and they still don't drop any weight. They need to adapt and learn. Not become carbophobic. Which I see a lot of around here. 210 to 240 grams of carbohydrate a day isn't going to do you harm, especially when coming from starchy sources AND you are having an activity level that exceeds a couch potato.
    I’m coming around to this idea too because I went very low carb for a while hoping to shed fat and that didn’t really happen, there was some negligence in my part sometimes (ie: cheating with junk foods) but I really don’t think it was enough to completely throw everything else out.

I just started upping my starches and generally trying to eat higher carb everyday (it’s a little tough when you were so used to VLC) and I’m going to see what happens. It could be totally wishful thinking right now but I could swear I’m a little less bloated in the midsection…. heh

RezH is offline Senior Member
    I'm now eating high carb on workout days ala leangains. I have found it not easy to down an entire cup of cooked rice postworkout.

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandadude View Post
    I assume the increased carb intake is advised because it upregulates hormones that are decreased when dieting. It might be fine as a short term intervention, but I think 200+ grams carbohydrate is too much for many of the overweight and insulin resistant people on this forum who might not exercise. As long as the calorie deficit isn't too great then I think reverting back to a carb intake of 50-100 grams after a few weeks would be best for fat loss.
    The advice isn't for the overweight crowd. They need to get their shit together first - with both low carb and exercise. When their hormonal balance is back on track and they stop dropping weight what happen in general is that people that have been overweight and then started to restrict carbs and saw that it worked. 'lo and behold - carb is the evil god - it must be shunned.

When weightloss stops, or they even gain, spiraling downwards restricting further, nothing helps. At that point one of two things happen: a) they become carbophobic b) they adapt and learn.

Carb restriction works when you are heavily overweight and your cells have basically shut down the processing of glucose and shunts it right over to fat storage. Then the body finally is able to work on those fat stores and releasing the fat as free fatty acids which burns off through basic metabolism and exercise.

As your insulin sensitivity rises and your metabolism heals the cells in your body finally are able to utilize the nutrients and energy in a proper manner. Then, you need to get some carbs into your body because carbs is what most opens the gates in the cells by releasing insulin. Thus the healing starts, unless you go back to your unhealthy ways again.

Basically, in a high carb, high omega-6 diet you're starved, because the body is doing almost one thing, and one thing only - shunting the glucose over to triglycerides and into fat storage.

In a low carb situation, you're starved too, the cells doesn't open the gates because insulin is low and the nutrients isn't allowed to pass (that much) into the cells.

Thus, by combining all three macronutrients in a meal, especially after a workout when your muscle cells insulin sensitivty is high you allow your muscles and all other cells - except fat cells - to receive the nutrients they need to function properly. It be fat, glucose, proteins, minerals and/or vitamins.

There is much more to it obviously, and I am oversimplyfying a lot. Don't know if you've seen this video YouTube - Doug McGuff M.D. T21C 2010 [Full] but it is awesome. About 1 hour 2 minutes in he gives a biochemistry lesson which you'll understand, and supports 100% what Mark Sisson says in regards to why The Primal Blueprint works.
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Personally, I eat 200-250g of carbs (mostly from sweet potatoes) post-lifting 4 days a week and I have only been getting leaner. Thanks for taking the time to translate and post Sungrazer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12