Thread: is a break in lifting heavy things needed? page

tommyho1 is offline Member

is a break in lifting heavy things needed?

Primal Fuel
    hey guys,

so i have read before that you should only lift weights for about 8 week cycles or so and then take a rest for a week or two before getting back into the gym.

what are your thoughts on this? does the body need time to fully rest? is it possible that muscles can get too accustomed to the exercises that you are putting them through and hence the exercise becoming pointless?

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i'm not entirely sure on the science here, but i can give you my personal experience. i did the stronglifts beginner program for just over a year, and in that time i probably only took about 2 weeks off to let some small injury heal. every week i got stronger without taking any breaks. i really enjoyed lifting, so i didn't want to take any time off. giving your body a rest is a great idea and certainly won't do any harm, but i don't really think it's necessary.

in living primally, we lift heavy things to simulate the life that grok lived. do you think he every took a week off to rest his muscles? hell no. there were probably times when he had to do less, but overall he likely had to keep doing things to live. of course, he probably would have liked to have a little vacation. you have that option; so if you want to stop lifting for week, do it.

TimR is offline Junior Member
    Necessary? Probably not. But, I go through phases where I am concentrating on LHT, or sprinting/running, or bodyweight exercises. I've always found that if I take a week off and do something else, or rest completely, that I come back to whatever my focus is at that time refreshed, and have some really strong lifts, or really good runs.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TimR View Post
    Necessary? Probably not. But, I go through phases where I am concentrating on LHT, or sprinting/running, or bodyweight exercises. I've always found that if I take a week off and do something else, or rest completely, that I come back to whatever my focus is at that time refreshed, and have some really strong lifts, or really good runs.
    +1 I seem to naturally take time off certain activities unless I'm following a specific program, which for the most part I'm not. There's some things I wouldn't recommend taking too much of a break with though, in my experience sprinting is something to be done at least twice a month otherwise starting up again can be pretty brutal (my body is VERY sore after coming back to sprints) the same does apply to other things but since sprinting is more of a total body workout you're likelier to suffer more if you put it aside for too long.
    Last edited by iniQuity; 04-29-2011 at 06:13 AM.

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TimR View Post
    +2! I've set some PRs when I've come back after a break.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Invictus14 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyho1 View Post
    is it possible that muscles can get too accustomed to the exercises that you are putting them through and hence the exercise becoming pointless?
    Your body will adapt to the environment that you put it in. If you keep doing the same exercise over and over you will get good at it, and be stronger, but you are likely to be laking in another area. Frequency, intensity, time and type. Do different things, with different levels of difficulty and you should not need a "break." But as it has been said already, if you want to take a break or feel like you need one it will not set you back, you might even see huge gains after a week off.
    "Most men stop when they begin to tire. Good men go until they think they will collapse. But the VERY BEST men know that the mind tires before the body and push themselves beyond all limits. Only when all of these limits have been shattered can the unattainable be reached." ~Dan Gable

muaythaimike is offline Senior Member
    I don't think you have to take a week or two off here and there. It's probably a good idea to have a de-load week once in a while though, when you are working below your normal training intensity/volume.
    "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian

Boogins is offline Junior Member
    I think it's going to be something that's individualized. I don't see the harm in taking a bit of time off. For this past week, I have felt like I don't really want to do much of anything, so I'm taking that as my body saying, "give it up"... but only temporarily. I think a bit of rest can do a LOT of good.

Nick the Destroyer is offline Senior Member
    Nope - I've gone 21 weeks at a time without days off. Smart programming will allow you to workout as long and frequently as you want. You just can't do the same things over and over again.
    "Suffer no guilt yee who wield this in the name of Crom"
    Quote on the Father's Sword

tommyho1 is offline Member
    thanks for the advice guys - so it seems the general consensus is that if you dont feel like you [I]need[I] a break then dont have one. at present im feeling good and making some good lean gains so im going to carry on and keep mixing it up!

thanks again!