Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I had a realization today page

wiltondeportes Guest

I had a realization today

Shop Now
    I'm agreeing with Mark from his talk at the 21 Convention last year. Grains have no taste. Why eat them? There's also no taste in white potatoes. Why eat them?

If anybody thinks you are sacrificing taste in any way by eating primal, slap them in the face. You eat the most tastiest foods out there. Meats, fruits, veggies, and nuts are essentially the only foods that have taste. Throw oils, vinegars, and herbs on your food. This is truly the tastiest food you could possibly eat unless you venture into processed foods.

(One caveat is dairy. Cheese is tasty, and there is no solid yes or no from the community. I don't use any except for a little as if it was an herb because I like having a smooth digestion.)

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Right. They're just conveyances for other flavours (of meat and vegetables and cheeese and fruits and nuts, of course).
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

peril is offline Senior Member
    Fats are the tastiest foods out there. The appeal of starches is that they are great conveyances for fat - fried potato, buttered bread etc. Cut out the middleman and go straight for the fat
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    I a gree that most grains are low on taste, but what a lot of them offer is texture. If you have made breads or pancakes using the myrad recipes using almond meal or coconut flour you will realize just how unique the texture contribution is from the gluten in flour. I miss that much more than the flavor itself.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Actually, I think potatoes have a really good taste. Either boiled - which I love with butter (Jersey Royals - delicious!) or chipped (in duck or pork fat) - magnificent. Or roasted (King Edwards or Desiree, organic) roasted in beef or pork or duck fat - nothing better. If yours are tasteless - try a named variety and organic. You are missing out.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    Actually, I think potatoes have a really good taste. Either boiled - which I love with butter (Jersey Royals - delicious!) or chipped (in duck or pork fat) - magnificent. Or roasted (King Edwards or Desiree, organic) roasted in beef or pork or duck fat - nothing better. If yours are tasteless - try a named variety and organic. You are missing out.
    Eat a potato with NOTHING on it, and tell me that's hard to give up. Eat a bowl of oatmeal with NOTHING on it, and then tell me that's hard to give up. Eat bread with no sugar added and nothing on it...tell me that's the best thing in the world. Lastly, eat a pancake with nothing on it, and tell me that's hard to give up.

The only thing that's tricky for me is not eating nightshades. I choose not to currently because of their lectin content, and I want to go 100% to see what that's like. That means no tomatoes or peppers. So far, it's not that bad because I'm learning how to use a million other spices.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    I agree that most grains don't offer much in the way of flavor (some do though...I like the flavor of some varieties of plain rice, and fresh corn can be quite yummy even w/o butter). Grains usually add a texture that compliments whatever is served with it. I usually season veggies and meat as well, and I certainly don't consider them pointless to eat because seasoning them or cooking them in a tasty fat like butter makes them more enjoyable.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    Eat a potato with NOTHING on it, and tell me that's hard to give up. Eat a bowl of oatmeal with NOTHING on it, and then tell me that's hard to give up. Eat bread with no sugar added and nothing on it...tell me that's the best thing in the world. Lastly, eat a pancake with nothing on it, and tell me that's hard to give up.

The only thing that's tricky for me is not eating nightshades. I choose not to currently because of their lectin content, and I want to go 100% to see what that's like. That means no tomatoes or peppers. So far, it's not that bad because I'm learning how to use a million other spices.

Eat a piece of celery with NOTHING on it, eat a piece of iceburg lettuce with NOTHING on it, eat a chicken breast with NOTHING on it... pretty much everything is better with some kind of preparation. I guess that would be why humans have been cooking foods and coming up with recipes for a long, long time now. Sometimes foods just need a little love.

Fat is delicious. Potatoes are pretty okay. Potatoes combined with fat is fucking awesome.

Fat is delicious. Celery is kind of meh. Cream Cheese combined with celery is fucking awesome.

etc. and etc.

If you are super overweight than a potato with butter may not be best your friend, but don't rationalize it because of taste!

If you are not super overweight, eat a potato with butter on it and watch the smile on your face grow bigger and bigger.
    Last edited by Rivvin; 04-29-2011 at 07:18 AM.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Once again Riv gets it right. I actually had a "bad cheat" last night that illustrates it perfectly. Big major celebration in the family, went out to the best Italian restaurant in New York (yes that's right). I CHOSE Ravioli stuffed with veal and filet mignon with a mushroom sauce. Big bottle of wine, port, lemon cheesecake. Apps were very primal (grilled sardines, lobster salad). Don't tell me that "ravioli has no taste" - it's a meaningless statement. That was an awesome meal, and the pasta was a very real part of it. Though I must say, the bread really didn't have much taste, it was a convenient vehicle (texture, something to grab, etc.) for the olive tapenade and olive oil.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Choose your dinner from A or B STRICTLY ON THE BASIS OF TASTE:

A. You can choose from a bowl of basmati or jasmine rice, warm handmade corn tortillas, fresh picked corn, warm fresh french bread, Yukon gold potatoes roasted (without oil).

B. A bowl of extra virgin olive oil, a mound of bacon fat, a stick of butter.

Now, I sometimes taste evoo straight. When I cook bacon, I scoop up any leftover fat when it cools. I sometimes eat a sliver of butter - usually not as much as a pat. But I would choose from list A without a second thought, strictly on the basis of taste. In fact, given the choices, I would always go for the potatoes. If you don't think the items in list A are tasty, I'm thinking you just haven't had the good stuff. Sure, Wonder Bread, instant rice, instant mashed potatoes and cardboard tortillas don't offer much taste. (I also understand that some people have to convince themselves that carbs are tasteless or gross in order to go primal/paleo. I don't.)
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast