Thread: Momma of 6 Journal page

suseyb is offline Junior Member

Momma of 6 Journal

Primal Fuel
    I am having a heck of a time getting back on track so thought I would journal my days in order to have some accountability.

My name is Susie and I have 6 children. They are all girls. I homeschool all of them. My oldest is in a two day a week private University model school. Basically, I take her to school and she does homework. My others are more work, though we haven't homeschooled formally for some time.

This summer, when I was pregnant with our 6th daughter, I bought The Primal Blueprint on the recommendation of another person on this forum. My husband loved the idea and we very easily went on a Primal Diet. I was already gluten free. On September 8th, our house flooded with 2 1/2 feet of water from the creek coming into the house. We're back in the house, but things are still not all right. Our kitchen is about 2 weeks away from being finished. We most definitely are not primal and I am having a very hard time cutting out the sugar.

I was able to stay mostly primal for the pregnancy and never felt better. I gained less weight than I have in a long time and took it off right away. I also have hashimoto's and am taking compounded T3 for this thyroid problem. It is helping, but I am a long way away from being healthy. I've been gluten free for about 10 years, though there was a period of about years where I went back to eating gluten. It was during this time period that I was diagnosed with Raynaud's disease. With two auto-immune diseases, I don't expect to go back to eating gluten full time.

Today, so far, I have had the following:

B: rice Chex cereal with raw milk

L: spinach and cheese

S: gluten free cheesecake

D: roast chicken in the crockpot, mashed fauxtatoes and gravy, green salad with junk dressing
    2 glasses of Coppola Malbec

I am very hopeful that I will be able to make it through my evening time without having another snack. I'm a most definitely a work in progress...

So the last two days have not been great. Last night, I bought some coconut milk ice cream with agave nectar. Ate the entire pint. Egad.

Today, so far, I am doing much better. I had two eggs fried in coconut oil for breakfast. I'm drinking decaf coffee with raw milk in it right now. I'm also doing math with the 10 yo since I'm picking up her new math book this afternoon. Not sure if I'll do anything for lunch since breakfast was so late. For dinner, I'm currently planning on chicken tortilla soup without the tortillas. I have the stock cooking in the crockpot. It's been there, simmering, for a couple of days. I just need to find some chicken, throw in some tomatoes and spices and add lime at the end. We'll probably also add some guacamole.

The only bread that is in the house is the stuff left over from Pesach and the gluten challah I bought the kids for Friday. Thankfully, my eldest ate the last of the challah for her breakfast.

I have lots of running to do today since my dh is staining our kitchen cabinets. It's a no VOC stain, but 6 kids and trying to stain probably won't work as well as 6 kids out of the house and trying to stain. We'll probably have to walk around the mall since it's rainy here today.

Good Ness. It's been too long. I am doing much better getting off of the sugar and grains. I am screwing up less often, which is very, very good. Today, I had a doctor's appointment for my thyroid. And, as I guessed, my thyroid is way in the tank. This is a new doctor as of the end of last year. He has me on a T3 only protocol. My new dose is 100 mcg in the morning and 12.5 in the afternoon. I can increase the afternoon dose by 12.5 mcg every two weeks until I start to feel human again.

We do not have a stove in the house and it is supposed to rain today, so I need to figure out how to make some dinner for the kids. It is already too late to try and make something in the crockpot. I don't think that cooking on the grill in the rain will be a ton of fun. I may just pick up a whole chicken and we can have a salad with that. Maybe steam some cauliflower in the microwave.

I'm surprised at how well the kids are doing with no bread for lunch. They are still eating cold or hot cereal for breakfast since I don't want them messing with the grill to make eggs in the morning. I'm not doing well at getting up in the morning to make them breakfast. Another symptom of deteriorating thyroid for me is that I get depressed. Once I'm depressed, I spend more time reading online and more time sleeping. So, I don't get up when they do. It's good that my two eldest are teens.

Just thought I would catch up here and post while I'm thinking a bit more clearly.

Susie

Still struggling here, but working on doing better. I am taking my supplements this week, in addition to my thyroid meds. Supplements are: CLO and butter oil for my bad teeth, Fish oil for mood, Multivitamin just because, and liposomal vitamin C for my mood and thyroid.

For breakfast, I had two eggs cooked in coconut oil. Lunch was a thai beef salad at a restaurant. No rice, but I did sneak a tiny bit of my daughter's pad thai. Tonight for dinner, I am making primal shepherd's pie with grassfed beef, sweet potatoes, broccoli and mashed cauliflower on top. It's just about done and I cannot wait because I am starving. I'm also drinking a glass of wine, but I'm pretending that's primal.

For exercise today, I went to our rental house and threw 6 bags of hardwood mulch around the trees and picked some of the grass out of the bushes. I also hacked away at the huge rosemary bush that is in front of the house. It is going to have to come out, and I plan to do that before we put the house up for sale or get new renters. Not sure which we are going to do right now. I have one of those hardwood mulch bags full of fresh rosemary and I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do with it. I did put some in the shepherd's pie.

Here's to yet another new beginning.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you are making progress!

Are you taking Vitamin D? It did wonders for my seasonal depression.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Sounds like you are making progress!

Are you taking Vitamin D? It did wonders for my seasonal depression.
    I am making progress. Today was a great day, even though I didn't get all my supps in. I was able to work on getting our rental house up for sale which requires some phone calls and meeting with contractors, etc. I have been having a hard time getting the energy to do these things, and today, I just got it done.

My D is low. This fall is was in the mid 70's and by this spring it was back down to the 30's. I've been taking 10,000 IU for a while now and maybe it is finally starting to work. I think that one of the only things keeping me sane last fall was that my D level was relatively normal.

My depression is postpartum and more than likely related to my thyroid, though spring/early summer is always hard for me.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Stay strong
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals