Thread: Some Lab Work Questions page

tooround is offline Senior Member

Some Lab Work Questions

Primal Fuel
    Thanks for looking.

I'm just starting to research lab work I had done a few weeks ago and am already finding some things that are reminding me of adrenal fatigue. Low-ish sodium and chlorides??? Anybody have any thoughts on that?

I'm struggling to understand my cholesterol numbers. While I try to decipher them myself ... I'm going to post them here and perhaps some kind soul could help me. I'm struggling quite a bit because my numbers are Canadian and all the posts I've found are American. Can someone point me to a convertion chart?

cholesterol 7.25
    triglycerides 2.15
    hdl 2.10
    ldl 4.17
    cho/hdl ratio 3.45

then there is something I don't understand about target for LDL-C reduce by <2.0 or 50% ????

wildwabbit is offline Senior Member
    I think you multiply by 39 to get mg/dl.

Your trigs look good to me as well as your hdl. Hard to judge your LDL without you getting a VAP or NMR test, but usually low trigs and higher HDL signify the "pattern A" ldl that isn't considered to be a problem. Pattern B ldl is the one considered to be a problem.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Conversion for trigs (x89) is different to that for lipoprotein (x39).

Your trigs should be under 1.0 on a paleo or primal diet. If you are sticking to the diet, you may have something wrong with you, but I don't know what that might be. Trigs are normally are good indicator or carb and/or alcohol consumption

HDL is excellent. This is mainly why your TC/HDL ratio is good

LDL is high. With your high trigs, you are likely either pattern B or pattern A/B, meaning you will have a significant proportion of small dense LDL. This is a bit of a guess based on the understanding that high HDL and low trigs = pattern A

If you can bring down the trigs then the LDL won't matter
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

wildwabbit is offline Senior Member
    Peril, thanks.

Agreed, if the trigs conversion is that high, with LDL that high, its likely a pattern A/B at least, but probably full pattern B.

My LDL is similar, but I had half the HDL and half the trigs and I was pattern A/B after 2 months serious primal. Doing another test in a couple weeks to see if I changed that.

@OP: was the blood taken while fasting? I've slipped up and taken only supplements before a blood test and its thrown the numbers way out. Water or weak tea are the only things you should have before a blood test
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Oh thanks folks ... no I was fasting for the lab.
    I was not eating primally before this test.

Trigs? check! will go research that. Thanks again.

My numbers just come out goofy if I use x89 for trigs.
    My test must have used Friedewald. Iranian is 5.86.

After growing bleary eyed studying this, my ratios are ...
    total/hdl 3.45
    trig/hdl 1.02
    Friedewald ldl/hdl 1.98
    Iranian ldl/hdl 2.79

... and yes I'm reading Griffs thread

Quote Originally Posted by tooround View Post
    My numbers just come out goofy if I use x89 for trigs.
    My test must have used Friedewald. Iranian is 5.86.

After growing bleary eyed studying this, my ratios are ...
    total/hdl 3.45
    trig/hdl 1.02
    Friedewald ldl/hdl 1.98
    Iranian ldl/hdl 2.79

... and yes I'm reading Griffs thread
    What do you mean by goofy numbers? Griff's thread is written only for mg/dL so the target ratios are wrong for mmol/L where trigs are involved. The ideal trig/HDL ratio for mmol/L is <0.9 (2*39/89). You are higher than that because of your bad trigs

Yes your LDL is calculated using Friedewald. Because of your Trigs, Friedewald is more applicable than the Iranian formula.

As for the target for LDL <2.0, this is generally only used for those at high risk of a cardiac event or for those who've already had one. It actually has little support in science. Its just the quacks getting tough. And there is a downside as low cholesterol numbers are correlated with increased deaths from other causes, including suicide. Fortunately my GP says such a target is not consistently achievable so he isn't worried about my higher number.

Eat a clean paleo diet and exercise and your numbers will improve. Your LDL may not come down but your trigs will, which will mean, if your HDL remains good, that your LDL will become the harmless pattern A

I probably shouldn't have bothered with the conversion to American units. High is high no matter what unit you use.
    High trigs being triggered by carbs makes sense. I'll work on that.
    My one small victory is that my doc is impressed with my HDL!
    He's given me two months to make some improvements. We'll talk again in June.
    Thanks Peril!