Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Protein deficiency in fruititarian/ vegetarian diets? page

halloweenbinge is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

I've been reading the blogs of some fruititarian/ vegetarian and vegan people. Sometimes they will eat nothing but fruit all day, other days things like crackers and seeds with fruit/ veggies.

My question is, how can anyone live on so little protein? Wouldn't this lead to an inevitable heart attack eventually? I know the 'incomplete' proteins complement each other and add up, but I'm reading that people are only getting a few grams of protein TOTAL let alone if they can even add up to form a 'whole.' Worse yet you read about people pursuing their animal and fat free diets yet their health issues worsening - I feel terrible that they, I hate to say it, don't know any better. Anyways, my issue is with the protein. People can't live long on a low protein diet, can they?? Seems like heart issues are imminent.

Del Mar Mel Guest

Actually there are quite a lot of amino acids available in raw fruits and veggies. It's just that our traditional nutrition model doesn't allow us to understand that. There are some amazing athletes doing

unbelievable stuff on a raw vegan diet.

I have been dabbling in raw foods for a few years and it will remain an anchor in my diet but I know that I am not going to give up fish, eggs and occasional yogurt. I am thrilled to have found this site because it shares the same approach to foods being whole and organic as the raw food movement. Also, the desire to not be any part of the traditional medical/ pharma model. I will be mixing the raw food element with the protein element because I believe they are both crucial for ultimate health and performance.

Niklas Guest

I think proteins is the last thing we risk a deficiency of. I'd be worried about lack of fat more than lack of proteins. The average person gets more proteins than he will immediately need. I remember reading about a population of islander eating mostly tubers and getting 50 grams of proteins a day and still showing no sign of low albumin level or protein deficiency.

My fascination with fasting for therapeutic reason made me found out about Dr. Vivian Vetrano. She is in her 80's but healthy and have been eating a raw vegan diet for 60 years. She eats nuts, veggies and fruits but advise against eating lot of fruits and developing a "fructose intoxication"

As I have already said I focus on what works for me and try not to theorize about what will work for others because I have seem the weirdest diets undoubtedly working for certain people.

PrimalK is offline Junior Member

Ooh. I saw a programme last week where a woman went from eating a CW healthy diet, to vegetarian, to vegan to fruitarian. She ended up in hospital - her hair was falling out in clumps, her teeth were in terrible shape, she had no energy....

But that was just for her. I wouldn't try it though.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

I've gotta agree with Del Mar Mel and Niklas; most people underestimate the amount of amino acids in "non-protein" foods. Even if you look it up on a chart you don't get the whole picture, because the charts only account for the foods that neatly compliment each other, like rice and beans. But if you're eating a big salad with a variety of veggies, 2 + 2 + 2 (grams of protein, that is) does not add up to six: It's more likely to add up to 10.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

I just did a quick Fitday hypothetical for a raw vegan consisting mostly of 1 cup each broccoli, sprouts, cauliflower, almonds, and salad, and 1/2 c. of coconut milk and 4 oz of tahini. Just tried to pick some typical things.

Guess what? Perfect PB ratios: 72-12-16 (F,P,C) The total protein was 69 grams and calories 1989. Now, as to the essential amino acids, I don't know.

What a flippin' boring diet!

Del Mar Mel Guest

Too funny OTB! That is why I'm venturing in this direction. You can get quite a lot of amino acids directly from greens and veggies (straight broccoli clocks in at just below 30% protein). My problem is that I often crave some greek yogurt and I am not parting with fish. I don't see myself going overboard with consuming meats all day long but I think I need a little more variety. I run a lot and though there are many athletes doing entirely plant based diet I feel like I really need a bit more variety. The bottom line for me is organic, REAL food and nothing that comes out of a can or a box.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Sounds like you're heading a similar direction to Mark's wife (I have a memory like a sieve, I think her name is Carrie?).

A few weeks back she did a column on the main MDA page, with a few Q&As too.

She eats chicken, fish, and veg / fruit / salad.

Daft as it sounds, I think the PB and "raw" / vegan do have *some* things in common - like you say, it's about REAL food.

62shelby Guest

I dont know how women that are pre menopausal manage to be athletic and vegan and or vegetarian. Speaking from experience, I did raw vegan and vegetarian about two years back on a heavy training load and I really effed myself up. My iron stores got totally screwed plus it caused a bunch of hormonal issues because I wasnt getting enough of what my body needed, even though I was eating lots of good veggies etc. I will have to take supplemental iron for some time now even though I eat meat on a regular basis.

I am serious though when I say that raw vegan food is fantastic but for me it will never be a complete meal again.

Del Mar Mel Guest

Northern Monke - Yes, I found Carrie's post yesterday and I was really excited. I don't think she eats chicken or red meat at all. Will have to review again but her way looks about perfect for me. I had already been cruising the site and just bought the book so when I read her post I was really excited. She will be my model for certain.

62Shelby - Agreed re: the iron situation. I have a long history of being severely anemic and have been prescribed the heavy duty iron in the past. I ended up going back to eating red meat once a week to correct it and part of my journey has been realizing that I'm back in that place and I don't want the iron Rx from the doctors. I will definitely continue with a lot of raw foods but I need some more concentrated protein in my diet and it looks like the occasional red meat as well.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast