Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close

Thread: What's harder to digest: raw or cooked?

Threaded View

Toronto, Canada

What's harder to digest: raw or cooked?

I remember being a raw vegan for a few months and yes, it put me in the most miserable health state possible. I was constantly prone to infections, depressed, and tired. While veganism caters a very malnourished lifestyle, I still like to hold high regard in the potent sustenance of raw vegetables. When thriving on a primal food, I like to include raw vegetables to take advantage of the digestive enzymes, biophotons, and other micronutrients.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercola
    Eating enzyme-dead food places a burden on your pancreas and other organs and overworks them, which eventually exhausts these organs. The digestion of cooked food uses valuable metabolic enzymes in order to help digest your food. Digestion of cooked food is much more energetically demanding than the digestion of raw food. In general, raw food is so much more easily digested that it passes through the digestive tract in a half to a third of the time it takes for cooked food.

Raw Food -- One of Your Keys to Outstanding Health 5/22/02
    On biophotons:

Quote Originally Posted by Mercola
    Sunlight is vital. Without the sun there is no life. We notice very clearly what a revitalizing effect sunlight has on our body and spirits when, after a long winter, we enjoy the first rays of spring sun. But we can absorb sun energy via our food as well as through the skin.

We also live on light

The latest research (Prof. F.A. Popp and Dr H. Niggli) shows that, in addition to the chemical composition of our food, light energy (biophotons) is also an important factor in food quality. The more light a food is able to store, the more nutritious it is. Naturally grown fresh vegetables, for example, and sun-ripened fruits are rich in light energy. The capacity to store biophotons is therefore a measure of the quality of our food.

Stored sun energy finds its way into our cells via food in the form of minute particles of light. These light particles are called 'biophotons', which are the smallest physical units of light. According to Popp and Niggli, they contain important bio-information, which controls complex vital processes in our bodies. The biophotons have the power to order and regulate, and, in doing so, to elevate the organism to a higher oscillation or order. This is manifested as a feeling of vitality and well-being.

McDonald's & Biophoton Deficiency 8/21/02
    This does not disqualify raw meat.

Now not all vegetables were not created equal and I selectively choose vegetables that are low in oxalic acid or goitrogens to eat raw. As some of you my know, oxalic acids inhibit calcium absorption and goitrogens suppresses thyroid function. The good news is that cooking destroys these components.

However, there has been much discussion with my friends telling me salads are harder to digest than MEAT AND WHEAT! Which to any person with common sense would know it's ludicrous, vegetables are comprised of mostly water, that doesn't seem to translate to me at all.

Some studies show cooking even activates more of the nutrients available.

Quote Originally Posted by Livestrong
    The raw food craze has many people believing that raw is the only way to go; the naturally occurring enzymes in raw food help your body digest the raw foods that you eat--and they are right. However, the issue with raw vegetables is that the vitamins and minerals are embedded in a complex mass of fiber called cellulose, a carbohydrate that is difficult for the human body to digest, possibly resulting in gas, bloating and nausea. In addition, many of the valuable nutrients in raw vegetables are not being absorbed by the body.

If food is not digested properly, the carbohydrates, protein, fat, vitamins and minerals are not being absorbed. Digestion and absorption must happen in order for your body to take full advantage of any food, especially vegetables. If eating raw vegetables is burdening your digestive system, consider cooking certain vegetables or using digestive aids.

Cooking carrots, spinach, mushrooms, asparagus, cabbage, peppers and many other vegetables also supplies more antioxidants, such as carotenoids and ferulic acid, to the body than they do when raw, says Rui Hai Liu, an associate professor of food science at Cornell University. On the flip side, cooking can destroy the high levels of vitamin C found in certain vegetables, as well as naturally occurring enzymes that assist digestion.

Why Can't You Digest Raw Vegetables? | LIVESTRONG.COM
    I think it's a known fact that meat and wheat takes the longest to pass through the digestive system and their information is purely based on food combinations. Anyway, it helps to know this information.. you can pass this on to anyone who disagrees with raw diets.
    Last edited by porcelain; 04-28-2011 at 11:13 AM.