Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's harder to digest: raw or cooked? page 2

muaythaimike is offline Senior Member
    Cooked egg protein is easier to digest/use than raw! Read Catching Fire: How cooking made us human by Richard Wrangham. Seems as though cooking is one the things that aided our species development. Cooked food yields more extractable calories, and makes some nutrients more available. So this gave humans more calories for less chewing, digestion etc meaning more food for our developing brains with less expense.
    "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian

kurite is offline Senior Member
    I can tell you from personal experience that raw meat digests much quicker and easier than cooked. I use to be raw paleo.

lizzychan5 is offline Senior Member
    once we learned how to create and use fire, our brains grew in size and our teeth shrank. Why is that? Improved digestibility of vegetable matter. Have you tried to eat a raw sweet potato? I know I can't, its nasty, but so delicious cooked. Light My Fire: Cooking As Key To Modern Human Evolution

(sorry to be graphic here) I know if I eat too many salads of lots of mixed greens and other raw vegetables, when I go to the bathroom and I can see some/a lot of the non digested plant matter in the toilet. If I ate a giant plate of cooked greens and other vegetables (similar to the raw salad), I never see anything recognizable in the toilet latter.

We cook and ferment our vegetables so we can weaken and/or burst the cell walls of the plant so we can digest them better. Raw vegans love their blender, because it breaks down the vegetable or fruit matter for better digestion. We cook for the same reason.

HillsideGina is offline Senior Member
    If you are getting info off Joseph Mercola's web site, be aware that you are getting a little good info but amidst lots of quackery and snake-oil sales tactics:

Old-Time Sales Tricks on the Net

Mercola is a slick pitchman for the internet age. He also "bandwagons" - grabbing the coattails of any new health idea gaining popularity - from the no-vaccine drama to paleo diets. But the site's main purpose is to sell, sell, sell.

kurite is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lizzychan5 View Post
    once we learned how to create and use fire, our brains grew in size and our teeth shrank. Why is that? Improved digestibility of vegetable matter. Have you tried to eat a raw sweet potato? I know I can't, its nasty, but so delicious cooked. Light My Fire: Cooking As Key To Modern Human Evolution

(sorry to be graphic here) I know if I eat too many salads of lots of mixed greens and other raw vegetables, when I go to the bathroom and I can see some/a lot of the non digested plant matter in the toilet. If I ate a giant plate of cooked greens and other vegetables (similar to the raw salad), I never see anything recognizable in the toilet latter.

We cook and ferment our vegetables so we can weaken and/or burst the cell walls of the plant so we can digest them better. Raw vegans love their blender, because it breaks down the vegetable or fruit matter for better digestion. We cook for the same reason.
    Then your not optimally digesting your food. I eat 1/2lb salads everyday and there is no green in mine.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kurite View Post
    Then your not optimally digesting your food. I eat 1/2lb salads everyday and there is no green in mine.
    I agree. I used to have the same symptoms when my diet still included some form of gluten and dairy. Since all my digestion was compromised I couldn't even digest my salads correctly. After stopping gluten/dairy I can eat salad all day long and I never see any of the particles undigested in my stools.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Edje Noh is offline Senior Member
    I like to eat green veggies raw simply because it takes more prep time if I cook them :P
    I do cook veggies like mushrooms, beets and carrots.

lizzychan5 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kurite View Post
    I was talking about way more than 1/2 a lb of raw lettuce. To me 1/2 a pound of salad is nothing, I can't possibly get full on just 1/2 a pound. Plus it also depends on the lettuces you are eating, some have more fiber and are tougher than others and the gut just doesn't process it as nicely. And I'm not a huge chewer, which is actually probably my problem. Still, cooked food, no matter how big of a bite i swallow gets completely digested.

Supersonic is offline Member
    So if you are going to eat raw vegetables, especially greens, it is best to blend it up and drink it down then let your body try to break it down?

I use to make lots of green smoothies made up of mostly Kale and bokchoy, but my old blender just couldn't keep up. With a new vitamix, it's time to start blending again! This time though, I want to include a couple of fruits to help with the flavor.
    "You can have it all, but how much do you want it?"

porcelain is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by lizzychan5 View Post

I've researched that only cooking or fermenting can access vegetable enzymes. Apparently juicing alone cannot break down cellulose walls.

This is getting more and more interesting, I was devoted to believe raw vegetables contributed more enzymes for digestion but discovering cellulose as an inhibiting factor makes far more sense from an evolution context.
    Maybe that explains why I've been feeling constipated all this time...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast