Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manioc/Cassava/Yucca Flour page

Primal_Cubana is offline Junior Member

Manioc/Cassava/Yucca Flour

Primal Fuel
    hi all,

after pretty much reading the entire recipes forum (i'm a hopeless foodie) i didn't notice much mention of manioc flour... it has a few other names too like cassava flour or yuca flour.

it's made from yucca, a starchy tuber used a lot in the caribbean and in brazil (other parts of latin america as well)..

it makes really nice breads and rolls that resemble yeast-risen doughs.

i'm not a big bread eater, but i figured some people could get some inspiration from a new flour to use.

Authentic Brazilian Cuisine: Gluten-free, delicious “pćo-de-queijo mineiro” this is a recipe for brazilian pao de queijo which is like a cheese roll of sorts.

A Foreign Life » Blog Archive » Pan de Yuca/Yucca Bread this is called pan de yuca, pretty much the same as the bread from brazil..

they make good hamburger buns.

also, yuca flour can be fried in butter and onions and it's called *farofa* in brazil where it's very popular as a side dish.

for different cassava bread recipes, you can google the following terms:

pan de yuca
    manioc bread
    pan de casabe

some of the recipes may be in spanish, but i can translate them for someone if they need it.

hopefully this is useful to people who miss bread, i'm going to try to use it to make tortillas (that i miss dearly)..

-tara
    Last edited by Primal_Cubana; 04-28-2011 at 09:21 AM.

aktres is offline Senior Member
    I've had this, delicious. There's a bakery on 23rd St. in NYC that sells this as a gluten-free option. I haven't tasted bread in months, maybe I will stop by there. I just sort of assumed that they were including other grains as well, maybe corn or something. Recipe looks good!

Ajax is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal_Cubana View Post
    hopefully this is useful to people who miss bread, i'm going to try to use it to make tortillas (that i miss dearly)..

-tara
    Oh, please let us know if it works. I have a mad craving for some tacos!

Quote Originally Posted by aktres View Post
    I've had this, delicious. There's a bakery on 23rd St. in NYC that sells this as a gluten-free option. I haven't tasted bread in months, maybe I will stop by there. I just sort of assumed that they were including other grains as well, maybe corn or something. Recipe looks good!
    more than likely it is just the straight cassava flour. some different recipes include a mixture of maiz but you can just ask to double check if it has corn or not. usually it's just straight yucca flour.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    Oh, please let us know if it works. I have a mad craving for some tacos!
    i know, me too. wrapping tacos up in lettuce just doesn't cut it for me. so far i've just been eating the different meats without the tortilla and that's ok, but i miss them for real tacos. i'll get some yucca flour this weekend and see how it goes. in theory it should work, but i don't know if they'll be pliable like a tortilla or more crispy like a cracker.

only one way to find out!

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    Yucca is used to make casabes, flatbreads that are very cracker-like. Do the rolls still turn out fairly soft?
    “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

aktres is offline Senior Member
    The rolls I had were soft and chewy.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaohinon View Post
    Yucca is used to make casabes, flatbreads that are very cracker-like. Do the rolls still turn out fairly soft?
    yeah, the rolls are soft and chewy like aktres said.

cassabe is crunchy, but they can be prepared softer like lavosh or crackerbread. i use those to make paleo hye rollers like these:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stoutideas/5168918719/ <-- not my pic
    Last edited by Primal_Cubana; 04-28-2011 at 09:33 AM.

cookie is offline Senior Member
    omg. so jealous. now i just need to find the flour.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    I wish it wasn't so starchy, which I have digestive issues with. Yuca is delicious just boiled with mojo criollo. Cassava pone is insanely good. I grew up in Florida, outside Tampa, and when I get homesick this is the stuff I crave.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast