Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I didn't realize people did this page

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member

I didn't realize people did this

Primal Fuel
    So, I work out at my local JCC and almost always have the free weight room to myself (the cardio room is always packed). So I get in there this morning, do my warmup and start my squats. In walks a guy goes over to the bench and loads about 225 onto the bench. He lays down, bridges his ass completely off the bench, and noisily starts lifting with a tiny ROM, grunts loudly with each rep and slams the weights down. In the meantime, I'm squatting a fairly heavy weight for me, with little expression and trying to get the bar on the pins as quietly as possible.

In the time it took me to do 6 sets of squats (3 warmup and 3 work sets), 6 sets of good mornings (same), 5 sets of barbell rows, and 6 sets of presses, this guy did, wait for it, the bench press. Over, and over, and over. All at the same weight. after the second set, he dragged a decline bench over to the smith machine cage next to my cage, and started doing decline bench presses as well.

Do people not know that they have other muscles besides the pecs? And what's with the noise, which seemed to get louder when a woman walked by? Yes, I get it, you're benching 22 5, bully for you.

Ok, rant over.

Zophie is offline Senior Member
    Hee hee....

Now you know the reason there aren't more girls in the weight room. The grunting always makes me fear they will poop their shorts.

Karate Lisa is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zophie View Post
    Hee hee....

Now you know the reason there aren't more girls in the weight room. The grunting always makes me fear they will poop their shorts.
    LOL!!!
    Or the skeevy, perv, undressing you with their eyes "look".
    "You can always do more than you think you can !" Sensei Scash

MountainDew is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Abu Reena View Post
    Do people not know that they have other muscles besides the pecs?
    Do people not know that others work a body part a week or twice a week?

I try not to check out women in the gym. I figure they don't want a sweaty, bald man staring at them, and they have every right to be there in the weight room with me. Although I wish someone taught them that curls, tricep kickbacks and similar things aren't all that they should be doing. But then I might have to share the cage, so better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainDew View Post
    Do people not know that others work a body part a week or twice a week?
    Uh, sure. I do know that. But I've never known someone to do a single exercise per workout. When I used to split my body up, it was "chest and back" or "chest and arms" or the like. I don't know anyone who does a single exercise per workout (and he wasn't doing a body by science workout since he was pressing quick and slamming it down.)

MountainDew is offline Senior Member
    Uh, sure. I do know that. But I've never known someone to do a single exercise per workout. When I used to split my body up, it was "chest and back" or "chest and arms" or the like. I don't know anyone who does a single exercise per workout (and he wasn't doing a body by science workout since he was pressing quick and slamming it down.)
    Quite a few people do that especially with heavy loads. He could be working on chest then coming back late during the day to do a different part (waste of time if you ask me). Also, as you know, when you're working on a body part you're also using other parts so some people find it unecessary to isolate for every single part. I don't work on arms because they get plenty of work when I do chest (tris) and chin-ups (biceps). Sans grunting...

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    ... In the meantime, I'm squatting a fairly heavy weight for me, with little expression and trying to get the bar on the pins as quietly as possible....

Regardless of how loud or obnoxious this man may have been, why do you do this? If this is the culture of your gym, I highly suggest finding a new place to work out. I may not grunt and scream loudly when I am doing olympic lifts or turkish getups, but I am sure as hell making quite a bit of noise.

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    It's like you said - he simply found a way to put a lot of weight on the bar without actually training hard. ;-)

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I've been known to make a little bit of noise when squatting and deadlifting heavy, and it's rather hard not to swear when you have to dump a squat. A real weight room is not exactly a library dude. I would also say that in the scheme of all the things people do to waste time in the gym, focusing on the bench press for a day is far from the worst. The bosu ball dumbbell stuff is what really gets me - what's that supposed to be training, the ability to hold light things on a sailboat in a storm?
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast