Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is a Raw Vegan diet healthy? page

darien is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

I have been eating mostly (at least 90%) raw vegan the past couple months. I'm a 5'11" male and my weight has dropped to 124 from 138 previously. There is an overwhelmingly large amount of people reporting great results and healing from this diet. The belief is that cooking food creates toxins, kills most nutrients, and kills the enzymes we need for digestion and so we use up more of our own digestive enzymes, which we only have a limited amount of. The China Study is often used as the reason to avoid animal protein.

Did anyone see the Dr Oz show with Rocco? He was eating a lot of meat and had the heart of an 85 year old. Dr. Oz put him on a vegan diet for 28 days. His blood glucose went from 172 to 99, waist went from 49" to 43", weight went from 265 to 235, and HDL cholesterol went from 33 to 45.

Has anyone tried the raw vegan diet for a few months or longer? What was your experience? Is it ideal for optimal health and longevity?

bonesheal Guest

Have you even read anything on this website?

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

You're definitely not going to find supporters of the vegan lifestyle here! lol

I love to eat raw veggies and fruit, and even love raw and mostly raw fish and meat, but I have seen way too many sickly vegans stuffing their faces with bread/pasta/rice in an effort to fill the void created by lack of protein and fat.

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

Vegetables confuse the heck out of me.

I've read that humans lack the ability to digest cellulose, so vegetables high in cellulose like broccoli, cauliflower, spinach and cabbage can be abrasive on the digestive system if eaten raw, and who knows how much nutrition we derive from them. According to that source, the best vegetables we can eat are all kinds of lettuce, bell peppers, cucumber and celery.

I've also read that cooking breaks down some of the cellulose and makes vegetables more digestible, and the nutrients more available. There is probably a line between cooking to release nutrients and cooking to destroy them.

How much of any of that is true, I have absolutely no idea.

As for Dr. Oz, don't trust any kind of media. Especially not health shows produced for entertainment. I suppose they didn't go into much detail about Rocco's diet beyond the fact that he was eating lots of meat (and "red" meat, no doubt). Didn't mention much about beer or candy or pasta or sugar in coffee, I'm sure. Any mention of how much or what kind of fats he was eating?

Regardless, if this vegan diet eliminated HFCS and other processed sugars and limited vegetable oils (under the Low Fat banner), I'm tempted to say it's still more healthy than the SAD and his good results aren't surprising.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

bobbylight Guest

Are you man or woman? 5'11 124 is quite skinny for a girl, but REALLY skinny for a guy.

Griff is offline Senior Member

This is not the website you are looking for.

Or maybe it is. But you might want to READ the website before posting.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

eero Guest

I agree with PrimalChild.

From a scientific modeling standpoint, the human body is still a "black box" -- not a mathematically solved system like the motion of the planets or an Intel chip.

Most of us tend to think in overarching theories or concepts.

The primal diet "works" because it mimics our ancestors' diets."

Raw vegan "works" because cooking creates toxins.

Low carb "works" because it minimizes insulin response.

Low fat "work" because...

You get the point.

By over-focusing on these central themes we convince ourselves that's all there is to it.

Let me put it this way: I'd like to see a comparison between raw vegans, and a group who eats the exact same foods as raw vegans, but the food is cooked -- steamed spinach instead of raw, etc.

I don't think any evidence, anecdotal or otherwise, has really isolated the *cooking* variable from the aggregation of other changes that are present in the vegan to raw vegan transition. So if you go from a diet consisting of vegan-friendly soy juice (ahem, "soy milk"), veggie burgers, soy dogs, tofu, corn, more corn, more soy dogs, wheat, gluten, bread, rice, and beans to a diet of veggies, fruits, and nuts -- you're telling me that you're healthier now because you no longer eat cooked food?

Awesome.

Acmebike is offline Member

It may not be the forum they are looking for, Griff. But it is the forum they NEED!

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

With the name "Darien", I'll assume you're a guy.

5'11", 124 sounds seriously wasted to me. Being toxin free won't do you a bit of good if you starve to death.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Omg that IS skinny!

Seriously, have you read nothing here?

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast