Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is a Raw Vegan diet healthy? page 2

Griff is offline Senior Member

@Acmebike: I agree with that!

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

darien is offline Junior Member

Yes, I have read some articles on this site. I am interested in hearing other people's experiences as a vegan or raw vegan. I'm a male and I don't look emaciated or anything. Usually raw vegans explain their low weight saying that everyone considers overweight people to be normal weight. And that the BMI is averaged out over many overweight people and therefore a weight that is considered underweight is actually healthier.

Griff is offline Senior Member

darien: There is no science that supports anything you've just said. A vegan diet is actually the worst thing you can do - both to your body and to the environment. Read Lierre Keith's "The Vegetarian Myth," and be informed.

Scientific studies have repeatedly shown that "overweight" people live longer than normal-weight people and much longer than underweight people. You are the textbook definition of underweight. It is dangerous. My ex weighed 123 at 6'4" and was put in the hospital because of his vegetarian diet. He developed wasting, and it nearly killed him. You are headed down the same road, if you're not already there.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

SeanBissell is offline Junior Member

My thinking is anything "raw" is going to get rid of lots of the bad stuff in your diet anyhow.

I think that's where the *real* benefit comes in.

For example with raw you can't eat:

-Grains

-Vegetable oils

-Most soy

-Most milk

-Most starches

-Most sugars

That's all that comes to mind right now, but right there you're *way* better than normal.

If you want to bump up your results even *more* the next best step would be something similar to Primal in my opinion.

But I don't think the "raw people" understand where their "benefits" are coming from. In my opinion it's not the enzymes and avoidance of meat, it's what you *can't* eat when you're raw (grains, etc.) that really gives you the benefits.

-Sean

Katt is offline Senior Member

Richard Wrangham writes that people who eat a raw vegan diet are generally missing out on quite a bit of nutrition and that they will lose too much weight due to that the human digestive tract cannot process raw foods well. He cited several studies about this in the first part of his book: How Cooking made us Human.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
    Current weight: 199
    Goal: 145

BigBeck89 Guest

troll

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

I hardly know where to begin, darien. My mouth has been hanging open for two minutes in disbelief.

YOU ARE SKINNY! I know, I was skinny all my life into my mid-thirties. It's not that other people are overweight, it's vegans are often WAY underweight. I'm sure a lot of your weight loss has been Lean Body Mass, i.e. muscle, heart.

Here's a LBM calculator. It's too bad you didn't do it before your started. http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html

There are two reasons.

One is that it takes nine pounds of mixed vegetable matter to get enough calories to keep a mythical "average" body going.

Cooking has been with humans for at least 250,000 years. Cooking makes food MORE nutritious (it does NOT add "toxins") because the nutrients are more available.

Raw veganism has to be the least healthy diet out there. You sure as heck won't get support on this forum. You surely realized that we are heavy on the meats, fairly on vegetables. We are talking getting 70 percent of our calories from meat, typically.

I wish I could relocate a very, very good site that very objectively refutes vegetarianism for most people (some seem to do OK.) Veganism and raw food as subsets are even worse.

Go grab yourself a nice ribey or fillet of salmon. Your body will thank you.

darien is offline Junior Member

There are many people with very positive testimonies of the raw vegan diet. Why would there be so many if it is so unhealthy?

Also, a lot of raw vegans get most of their calories from fruit. Vegetables make up the least amount of the calories. Personally I've been getting at least half from fruit, 20% - 40% from nuts and seeds, and the rest from vegetables.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

We generally stay away from all carbs, but especially when it comes to fruit. It has a lot of fructose and we all here agree that it's bad in large amounts. Some have even completely cut off fruits from their diet.

I would think that the huge drop in numbers during the first month would be due to the drastic change in diet. Have you ever met anyone that has been a raw-vegan for say, 5 years?

Besides, all that weight you're losing is muscle.(and probably bone?)

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Well, it depends on how you define healthy. (There is also a huge psychological component of denial in many cases, I&#39;m sure.)

If you think being real skinny is normal for a man, you are wrong. Losing LBM is no joke.

Half fruit? Fruit provides sugars and some vitamins, that&#39;s about all. In terms of keeping your body healthy, fruit has to be one of the lowest contributing food groups there is. Nuts and seeds have way out of whack Omega 3 and 6 ratios. I&#39;m not sure what kinds of seeds you can eat raw, but they are loaded with phytates and anti-nutrients that actually prevent what minerals you are eating from entering your system.

Why would you want to eat in a way that your body is not programmed for?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast