Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chips & Salsa page

shane Guest

Primal Fuel

One of my biggest down falls with heading for primal is cutting out corn chips for my homemade salsa. Any suggestions.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Good question. I'd love a good alternative to tortilla chips also.

I was thinking about making chips with a dehydrator. I wonder what veggie would be best to use.

Anonymous Guest

Eggplant dries pretty decent. I cut some 1/8" slices with a mandolin and dried them out. They don't stay 'crispy' very long, at least not in my climate.

I cut them and covered lightly with lemon juice to reduce browning, but also helped get rid of the 'lemon' flavor.

The biggest issue would be finding the crunch aspect of it. It'd probably be better for that to use some sort of sunflower seed/nut meal and make 'crackers'. But, obviously, the calorie count on that is going to be quite a bit higher than vegetables.

Buckeye Guest

Celery is good for dipping.

sammylou is offline Junior Member

daikon is very mild in flavour, low cal, and crunchy. you could slice it thin and use as crackers for many things. i like using them for liver pate. as for chips, try making with sweet potatoes.

egmutza Guest

jicama!

RogerDeRok is offline Member

What about those primal crackers on the caveman cooking site? I think that's where it was from, it's on one of the primal blogs.

annadragon is offline Junior Member

Threadjack: Sammy, do you make your own pate? If so, you must post a recipe

Anonymous Guest

For whatever reason, I claim a 'duh', here. I'm at least so conditioned to think that the 'cooked in fat' aspect of traditional potato chips is what makes them bad, but, since with Primal, that's not so bad, maybe making chips the traditional method would work.

I watched an episode of Good Eats this morning, and Alton made chips with parsnips. He cooked them in peanut oil, but regular olive oil would also work - not the extra virgin variety. I suspect other vegetables would be pretty nice, too.

I think I shall have to experiment with this some, but it'll probably be a week or two.

grandma is offline Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

lard and beef tallow were the traditional deep frying oils of the past. Worth a try. If starchy veggies had any nutrition prior to frying, I think frying gets rid of it all .

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast