Thread: Keeping Fish Oil from Going Rancid page

choppedliver is offline Senior Member

Keeping Fish Oil from Going Rancid

Primal Fuel
    I bought some bottles of Carlson fish oil and cod liver oil. But I bought way too many. What's the best way to ensure that they will not go rancid or become oxidized?

Supposedly, if you store fish oil (especially fish oil capsules) at room temperature, they can go rancid. Damaged fish oil can induce oxidation and incur oxidative stress in your body, supposedly ... one of the biggest argument against taking fish oil in the first place and eat fish instead.

So store in the fridge? Freeze them? Store in a cool, dry place away from sunlight like you would store your EVOO? What's the best way?

For more Paleo hacks: How Do I Keep My Fish Oil from Going Rancid or Being Oxidized? - Paleo Hacks.com

wildwabbit is offline Senior Member
    Well ideally you wouldn't buy more quantity than you can use before they go rancid
    Refrigeration is a minimum. My guess is freezing is even better for excess quantity but I don't know the impact of freezing on PUFAs. My guess is that if they can flash-freeze salmon as its caught, and no one discovered damage, its probably ok...

Ideal Peace is offline Senior Member
    I've had a bottle of 400 Kirkland Signature (I think that's Costco brand) Omega 3 (1g) softgels for nearly a year and half and they still taste\smell fine, not a single broken pill either (except that one time I left one in my pocket all day, and leaked, leaving me with smelly jeans 4 washes later).

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    I've had several bottles of Mercola krill go rancid on me within 3 months. To their credit, they replaced them, no questions asked. Still, two times is 2 too many.
    Last edited by Adrianag; 04-27-2011 at 08:27 PM.

choppedliver is offline Senior Member
    Were you storing them at room termperature? I've stored mine at room temperature but away from sunlight. Just started refrigerating them today.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrianag View Post
    I've had several bottles of Mercola krill go rancid on me within 3 months. To their credit, they replaced them, no questions asked. Still, two times is 2 too many.

Quote Originally Posted by choppedliver View Post
    Were you storing them at room termperature? I've stored mine at room temperature but away from sunlight. Just started refrigerating them today.
    Yes at room temp, out of sun, not close to windows. If I had a large supply I would probably freeze them

Quote Originally Posted by Ideal Peace View Post
    I've had a bottle of 400 Kirkland Signature (I think that's Costco brand) Omega 3 (1g) softgels for nearly a year and half and they still taste\smell fine, not a single broken pill either (except that one time I left one in my pocket all day, and leaked, leaving me with smelly jeans 4 washes later).
    Eeeewww...reminds me of that line from The Love Doctor : "do you smell fish?"