Thread: An introduction, a hello and a question about cereal from a not so unprimal teen page

digimattd Guest

Hey all. Names Matt. 17 from LI, NY and while I won't lie and say that I'm a "firm" believer in the PB, I have tried to incorporate at least some of it into my lifestyle. Long story short, I was an overweight middle schooler turned average weight teen turned overweight teen (after quitting sports for a year and eating enough junkfood for every Grok and Grokette here...) who earlier this summer decided enough was enough. From there I cut out all soda and switched to just drinking water (although lately I've been drinking alot of herbal tea sweetened with stevia though I'm going to have to put a halt to that since my sweet tooth's been on lately...I digress...), stopped eating out so much and generally tried eating healthier and exercising more which worked. I went from 150 to 125ish and am supposedly looking great (after years of overweightedness I just feel strange "looking skinny"). Anyway, here is a breakdown of my normal week:

M: Gym (Bi's and shoulders)

T: Tabata Sprints upon wake up

W: Gym (Lower body)

Th: Tabata Sprints upon wake up

F: Gym (Chest, tri's)

S: Rest

S: Rest

So yeah, that's pretty much the usual routine. Um, I feel weird writing in this but I'm going to keep going. I used to be pretty lazy but since have tried to be as active as possible, from parking farther away when driving to school to biking on fair weather days, however over the past two or three days I've felt sort of blah, so since yesterday morning when I woke up and stayed home from school, aside from the 50 minutes at the gym I put in I've more or less been doing nothing around my house. I feel quite odd about it but on to my main question. I usually have a fairly good diet, try to stay away from carbs and sugars and lalala, although I do let myself indulge as any of us has done. This week I didn't think I was going to just because it felt like an off week when I noted the Banana Nut Cheerios which I hadn't enjoyed in forever. I had just eaten a rather large salad for lunch, but thought hey, why not and dove in. Five or six small bowlful's of cereal sprinkled with blueberries and doused with milk later (which I think could be between five and seven servings?) I decided I'd had enough and went upstairs. That's when I started freaking out lol. I'm just wondering if the carbs will automatically store as fat since I'm pretty sure my glycogen store's weren't empty or if my body will digest it with no worries. I'm finally starting to see a body that I like and I was wondering if the cereal will kill me later on? (Which is funny because this time last week I really indulged on a fried chicken strips basket with lettuce and tomato on a bun, fries, onion rings, a double thick chocolate milkshake and a huge piece of cheesecake with strawberry ice cream on the side as a HUGE lunch, although it was all I ate for the day relatively guilt free xD)

So yeah. Just saying hi I hope for here from my fellow (or should I say better since I'm not near 100%) Groks

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

Welcome!

Try not to freak out, one indulgence will not undo all of your hard work.

I would try to cut all grains out of your diet though, as they are obviously a point of weakness (5 to 7 servings!?!!) and not good for you.

Keep on the forum and start a journal, people around here are very supportive!

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

digimattd Guest

xD, well the servings are small (28g or 3/4 cup) so it's not a huge thing such as yogurt where 240g is a serving, but I think it was alot of me just enjoying the taste of it since it had been so long since I do limit myself normally. Of course, once it got to the point that I really didn't enjoy it anymore I put away the bag. I keep track of what I eat and aside from some english muffins, homemade biscuits or a Clif-Z-Bar once every few days (weeks for the biscuits), my carbs are generally fruits/veggie based aside from the oatmeal I use for my workout morning oatmeal/egg pancake) I'm generally good

digimattd Guest

Oh, and about going 100% primal...I just don't think I can do it. I still live at home so my choices are sort of limited (although I still do sub in mashed vegetables for potatoes/rice and other things all the time now), and to be honest I just couldn't see myself giving up my favorite entree (the previously mentioned chicken and fries from the local diner), dessert (cheesecake) or chinese dish (bourbon chicken with fried rice - YUM) forever, although I do see the value in not having it all the time (the chicken last week was the first time since mid august and the chinese I had the week before somewhere around late July) since it makes it taste soooooo much better

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

Y'know, when it comes to occasional indulgences, look at your macronutrient ratios over the course of a month or even a year, depending on how frequently you do indulge. You'll find that they really don't make a lick of difference. Now if you were trying to lose weight still, indulgences might cause some stalls, but it doesn't seem like that's an issue anymore. Don't sweat it.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Get Primal is offline Junior Member

I echo the other responses. Eat what you know is right most of the time. Make time to workout, as you're already doing. That's it...simple stuff! Good luck, stay in touch!

digimattd Guest

Yeah. Like I said, I feel weird saying I look good since I am so used to being bigger but at 5'8 125 I've definitely never been fitter/getting more compliments, although I am by no means absolutely ripped (yet)

Niklas Guest

@klcarbaugh

even with the not so perfect primal diet, what benefit your brother is observing from improving his diet?

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

digimattd, I'm 5'10 and fluctuate between 175-180, and while I'm not ripped, my bf is decently low (I wear 33 waist jeans). The PB will allow you to build some more muscle without turning you into a meat-head. You are going to love it.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull