Thread: No shoes in the summer page

huntergirlhayden is offline Senior Member

No shoes in the summer

Primal Fuel
    When green was just a color « Creative Procrastination

This lady has a few years on me, but she makes some pretty good points about the difference between her childhood, and well, mine. One thing we had/have in common though was no shoes in the summer. I can remember coming home (at dark only after I heard my mother yelling my name across the neighborhood, I had to be in when the streetlights came on, and oh Lordy, if I wasn't there was hell to pay... I digress.) I can remember coming home after spending a day running through the woods and fields that surrounded our rural home and having to pick thorns out of my heels. My feet were stained from mulberries until I was at least 14. No shoes in the summer. Getting scratched and bitten up was part of life, I had to bathe every night before bed because I was filthy from playing in creeks and mud and my Mama didn't want me to ruin my sheets.My summer clothes were less than presentable to say the least,but man we had fun!
    So, I say all this to hopefully spark some reminiscing in everyone else. Springs coming around these parts and its got me itching to get outside, find a creek to wade in, some big grassy hills to roll down, you know, enjoy the weather.
    Anyone else remember how awesome it was to catch a craw-dad or a caterpillar, or best ever, a tad-pole!
    "It is not what you are that holds you back, it is what you think you're not."
    Denis Waitley

Paleobird Guest
    Hi Hayden. We missed you over lent.

When my sister and I were little, we referred to it as having Hobbit feet when your feet are bare so much that they toughen up.

Hey Paleobird! I missed you guys too, I kept having thoughts I wanted to share -makes very sad face- but couldn't.
    As far as hobbit feet go, I've never completely gotten on board with getting pedicures because it's always so painful to walk around outside afterwards lol. Its amazing how our culture really puts a high price on such things as soft hands and feet- I get kinda grossed out when I shake a guys hand and there are no callouses. In my "hick" mind no callouses=no work.
    Denis Waitley

elwyne is offline Senior Member
    Hm, I suspect she has a few years on me too, but I remember all the things she talks about. I took typing and learned cursive and played outside and changed channel on the TV by walking up and turning the knob.

I much prefer having hobbit feet and I can't wait for the weather to warm up just a bit more so I can wear sandals to work again... my feet feel so closed-in in shoes and socks.

Culture always values that which only the rich can afford. Soft hands and feet are a sign of wealth and leisure. These days, a tan is a sign of wealth; you have to be rich to be able to lay out in the sun. In the past pale skin was valued, because it meant you could afford NOT to work all day in the fields.

interesting stuff.

Paleobird Guest
    I am training to climb Mt Kilimangaro and many a climber there has been stopped in their tracks by complications that start as blisters. I am letting my feet get as calloused as they can and I don't care if they look "pretty" in sandals this summer.

Mainer is offline Senior Member
    Great post.

remember as a kid ripping the shirt and shoes off and running around on dirt roads, through woods, and in swamps with just a pair of shorts on. Took a little while to toughen the feet up, but then you were good to go. Some things weren't good though like the first sunburn, not having enough sense to put a shirt on, but hell, that was just getting in the way of fun right? Also, didn't have to worry about ticks and Lyme like we do today, that's the biggest thing that really sucks right now!
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Bissen is offline Senior Member
    I still go barefoot most of the time; especially in summer (I'm usually constantly cold in winter). Btw, I'm 20 LOL

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Mianer: Ticks and Lyme never trip me out as much as getting tetanus, I haven't had one of them there shots in a good piece... I should probably get on that.
    Bissen: Hola! I'm 22 so reading that ladies article was interesting, I don't know a lot of people my age who grew up running buck wild in the summer time, most everyone says they were inside playing video games or whatever. No thanks.
    Denis Waitley