Thread: Eating enough calories? page

Bevaboo is offline Senior Member

Eating enough calories?

Primal Fuel
    I went primal fairly recently, and I've had great success with getting fitter. I was into the chronic cardio thing, and the exercise program is what first attracted me to the primal lifestyle. I was already doing Atkins for about a month, so making the change to primal was/is actually pretty easy. Just ditch the wheat-based stuff, but more fruit and veggies. Very cool with me, since I wasn't huge into bread, anyway. And I didn't like milk. I'm more into veggies than fruit, but I don't think that's a big deal.

I'd already been doing the IF thing for a couple weeks, so I'm accustomed to only eating once a day. I'm not feeling hunger, except sometimes close to dinner time, so it's not hard. But now that I've looked at how much I'm eating, I'm wondering if I'm getting enough calories in. Today, for example, I had 2 large pork chops and about a cup of peas, about 840 calories. Yesterday, I had chicken wings and a veggie blend, about 1,000 calories. And I'm simply not hungry for any more.

Stats about me: Female, 5'2", about 140#. According to the Daily Needs Calculator at NutritionData, I should consume about 2300 calories a day to maintain my weight. I work out about 5 times a week, 1 day for sprints, 2 days for LHT, and I get about 5-6 hours of MS activity in a week. Since I've gone primal, I've lost weight at about double the rate as with Atkins and Chronic Cardio, so I'm pleased with that. I can tell I'm building muscles (no more flabby arms!), and I'm very pleased with that part of it.

My question is, should I be concerned that I'm not hungry for more than this? Should I try to eat more, or am I over-thinking things? The whole point of doing Atkins was to develop healthier eating habits as part of my drive to get fitter. Will not getting more calories cause me problems as I try to build my muscles and lose the fat? Or should I just chill out and wait for my body to tell me I need more food?
    Your book club may have scintillating discussions. But my book club can drink your book club under the table.

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bevaboo View Post
    ... Or should I just chill out and wait for my body to tell me I need more food?
    I'd go with this. If you're not getting enough calories in, you'll know it.

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bevaboo View Post
    ...Will not getting more calories cause me problems as I try to build my muscles and lose the fat?...?
    ...and I'd go with this. There's just no way for an active woman to get adequate nutrition on so little food. You may experience some "newbie gains" in strength too, but the body won't be able to sustain it indefinitely - eventually you'll begin catabolizing your own muscle. You are likely in ketosis, which has a side effect of suppressing appetite. While this is normally a good thing, sometimes it can become too effective.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Quote Originally Posted by theholla View Post
    ...and I'd go with this. There's just no way for an active woman to get adequate nutrition on so little food. You may experience some "newbie gains" in strength too, but the body won't be able to sustain it indefinitely - eventually you'll begin catabolizing your own muscle. You are likely in ketosis, which has a side effect of suppressing appetite. While this is normally a good thing, sometimes it can become too effective.
    I tend to agree. I was in the same boat. I was eating only around 1000 calories per day without realizing it, and I was fine for the first month. During the second month, I was tired and moody all of the time, and my workouts suffered horribly. I literally had to force myself to eat more calories, because I was never hungry. I started using more coconut oil when cooking, and more olive oil in my salads. Both add calories without making me feel stuffed.
    -Krystal

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    how does a woman get their vitamin/minerals in in ONE meal a day....i have no doubt your deficient somewhere. hope youre not relying on vitamins/supplements to make up for stuff you should get through food

mrsean1999 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So you simply do not feel hungry more than once a day? Have you tried adding light meals at breakfast and lunch? A walk or other light exercise in the morning might stimulate appetite