Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talk with an endocrinologist yesterday page

tfarny is offline Senior Member

Talk with an endocrinologist yesterday

Shop Now
    She had never heard of Paleo diets etc. - but she spends all day treating diabetes and other endocrine system problems (but diabetes is #1) in mostly obese indigent patients in the Bronx. She was interested in my "Primal story" and only asked if I'd had blood work done post-PB, which I said I was planning to do. Her initial take on it (and she has a totally CW stance on cholesterol / heart health, and was eating bread talking to me) was - anything that cures obesity and metabolic syndrome is a good thing, whether or not it increases cholesterol. Her basic stance was that systemic inflammation and abdominal (organ) fat are the #1 disease markers over and above anything else and therefore if a certain diet reduced those things it couldn't be bad, even if all of us are dead wrong about cholesterol and fat being good for you.

Anyhow, it was an interesting talk from an open minded and smart doctor, first conversation I've had like that with someone who really knew medicine. It was a great test of my own knowledge of this stuff too.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    She had never heard of Paleo diets etc. - but she spends all day treating diabetes and other endocrine system problems (but diabetes is #1) in mostly obese indigent patients in the Bronx. She was interested in my "Primal story" and only asked if I'd had blood work done post-PB, which I said I was planning to do. Her initial take on it (and she has a totally CW stance on cholesterol / heart health, and was eating bread talking to me) was - anything that cures obesity and metabolic syndrome is a good thing, whether or not it increases cholesterol. Her basic stance was that systemic inflammation and abdominal (organ) fat are the #1 disease markers over and above anything else and therefore if a certain diet reduced those things it couldn't be bad, even if all of us are dead wrong about cholesterol and fat being good for you.

Anyhow, it was an interesting talk from an open minded and smart doctor, first conversation I've had like that with someone who really knew medicine. It was a great test of my own knowledge of this stuff too.
    Interesting. That certainly jives with primal. I haven't seen too many CW authorities talk about inflammation, so it it good to see that interest in it may be getting a little more mainstream.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    Interesting, doctors are usually supportive when I say that I don't really eat grains or sugar, but one did give me a weird look when she asked, "so what do you eat?" and I said "lots of meat... and vegetables," and later gave me a half-hearted, "make sure you eat fruits and vegetables!" another one talked up the benefits of whole grains though, and i just nodded and spaced out.

next time I may tell them about paleo/primal, though.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Them: So what do you eat?

Me: Lots of vegetables! I really try hard to get as much organics as I can. Meat, eggs, dairy in moderation. I don't snack much but when I do it's usually a small serving of nuts. I also make sure I only eat natural fats and I stay away from sugar and processed foods.

Pretty much the same answer but it appears to tell them what they want to hear.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaisyEater View Post
    Them: So what do you eat?

Me: Lots of vegetables! I really try hard to get as much organics as I can. Meat, eggs, dairy in moderation. I don't snack much but when I do it's usually a small serving of nuts. I also make sure I only eat natural fats and I stay away from sugar and processed foods.

Pretty much the same answer but it appears to tell them what they want to hear.
    Yep, I deliver it this way too! lol
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I think that in the cardiovascular literature, "inflammation" is more and more commonly considered the true culprit in cardiovascular disease. It just takes forever for things to make it from the primary literature into the commonly accepted notion in medicine. It is nice to hear it's making its way into the medical ranks.

The other problem is that current medical practice doesn't know squat about how to reduce general inflammation. I think they lucked out that statins seems to have some general anti-inflammatory effects, but I can't think of any other approaches that are successfully used.

emmie is online now Senior Member
    The reason that 'medical practice' doesn't focus on reducing inflammation (even though research indicates it is the primary marker for cardiac and other issues) is that Big Pharma can't profit from it! The primary ways to reduce inflammation are lifestyle changes--i.e., diet and exercise--and Big Pharma focuses on the profit margin--get people on drugs for life--and most doctors in practice get their medical 'updates' from the drug reps.

It's not that they can't "think" of any approaches other than statins, it's that statins make money. My lifestyle changes don't profit anyone but me!

chia is offline Senior Member
    yes, blaming cholesterol for heart disease is like blaming the bandaid for the cut...... cholesterol is a wonderful thing...AND, people with lowered cholesterol die from heart attacks just as much as those with higher.... it is always about the mighty dollar.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by imasin View Post
    another one talked up the benefits of whole grains though, and i just nodded and spaced out.
    See, that's when I ask them to get _specific_ about what benefits they think those grains provide: are there any vitamins or minerals they think I'm deficient in? Is it the fiber? Because veggies have a lot more fiber than oatmeal... and even fruits like strawberries have the same fiber per calorie as oatmeal.

This generally results in blank looks and protestations of "But whole grains are healthy!!" even though they can't specify anything.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    The reason that 'medical practice' doesn't focus on reducing inflammation (even though research indicates it is the primary marker for cardiac and other issues) is that Big Pharma can't profit from it! The primary ways to reduce inflammation are lifestyle changes--i.e., diet and exercise--and Big Pharma focuses on the profit margin--get people on drugs for life--and most doctors in practice get their medical 'updates' from the drug reps.

It's not that they can't "think" of any approaches other than statins, it's that statins make money. My lifestyle changes don't profit anyone but me!
    Doctors prescribe dietary changes for improved health all the time. They are the wrong suggestions and most people can't stick with them. But it has nothing to do with corruption. Doctors are certainly influenced by pharmaceuticals, probably more than they know. However, I don't believe the idea that they are all conspiring to keep us ill forever. I know way too many devoted, amazing physicians to buy in to that theory.

The problem is getting money to fund studies on diet and to have them done properly. If the data was there, physicians would use it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast