Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: How are you handling higher food prices? page 6

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Wow! Looks like I made some choices that turned out to be a lot cheaper in the long run...

I am self-employed & work part-time at home (from the studio behind the house & on the phone/skype.) Not a huge income, but no commute or gas bills.

I live in a very local food-focused small town with lots of farmers. Two farmers markets a week from May-Sept. Over 70 local producers!
    Large food coop (for a town of 10,000) that has regular specials on staples.

I can grow most of my own vegetables in our garden from June-October.

I am IFing for 20 hours every day, so I am eating less food and am much more selective about what I buy = lower grocery bills.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ennasirk View Post
    Yeah, it's so hard to stomach a huge loss of time. My commute (on the rare days I have to make it) is 27 miles against rush hour traffic, so I can do it in about 35 minutes if I drive. To take BART, it's a 20 minute walk to the station, then a 45 minute train ride, then a 8-10 minute walk on the other end. Cost of fuel or the fare is about the same (again, I can do pre-tax for the train fare, so that makes it more attractive) but it's the "lost" time that's hard to deal with. On the return trip it's not that big a deal, but I like to pack a lot into my mornings (workout, getting ready, good breakfast) and being able to leave for the office as close as possible to the time I need to be there is pretty important to me.
    Yeah. Sounds similar to my situation. It's a three mile easy bike ride to the station, 30-60 minutes on the train and then 4 miles at the end with no good, safe bike routes. So if I took the shuttle, that's another 15-30 depending on how long I have to wait for it. I also like to pack a lot in my mornings so I've tended to offshift late. If I leave my house after about 9:45, I can get to work in half an hour. To get the last express train in the morning, I have to be at the station at 7:45.

My husband is a night owl and hates waking up before 8. So that's another downside to switching my schedule. I could shorten things in the morning, but I'd still have to get to bed earlier. My husband usually isn't home until after 8pm. If I'm heading to bed by 10 or 11, that's not much sweetie time.

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyt View Post
    i get about 25 to the gallon here in the UK and a tank for our landcruiser costs 100 pounds (160 USD) and lasts about 400 miles.

We've cut out mileage down by about 70% by cycling and walking everything less than 3 miles and persuading our boss' to let us work from home more often. We're down to about 8k miles / year now and feel much better for it.
    I don't know if you're aware but US gallons are smaller the U.S. gallon is about 83% of the Imperial gallon used in the UK.

Imperial Gallon = The imperial fluid ounce is defined as 1⁄160 of an imperial gallon.

US Gallon = The US fluid ounce is defined as 1⁄128 of a US gallon.

Last edited by kenn; 04-28-2011 at 04:53 PM.
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456