Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: If I *have to* cheat, what's the least harm? page

  1. #1
    who's Avatar
    who
    who is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    60

    If I *have to* cheat, what's the least harm?

    Primal Fuel
    sugar?
    gluten?

    "Cheating" (I hate that term) is a part of life (unless your orthorexic, which I don't want to be). So given that, how can you minimize the damage? I think this question will have different answers for different individuals, but your thoughts are welcome.

    Did any bloggers post about this?

  2. #2
    simpstr's Avatar
    simpstr is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    northern va
    Posts
    369
    Hi,
    I try to keep dark chocolate on hand for the sugar cravings but I only seem to want something sweet after dinner. During the day I'm fine.
    Health is Wealth!

  3. #3
    primalrob's Avatar
    primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Manchester, NH
    Posts
    2,142
    i suppose if you're in a situation where you absolutely have to cheat, then you are likely stranded out in a forest or desert somewhere, because there always food options, or the option to not eat. i suppose if you've gone without food for a long time and you need to eat and the only thing around is a cake made out of pasta and cookies, eat the cake.

    as far as cheats that you allow yourself...i wouldn't stress too much about it. i'll usually go to something sugary before i turn to something with grains, but that's a personal preference. the important thing is getting back on track as soon as you can.

  4. #4
    belinda's Avatar
    belinda is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,507
    I've totally cut out foods containing gluten but occasionally put 1/2 tsp of sugar in my tea or a drizzle of honey on my yogurt, but that's about it. Oh, and there was the cheesecake I ate last weekend
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

    F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

  5. #5
    who's Avatar
    who
    who is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    i suppose if you're in a situation where you absolutely have to cheat, then you are likely stranded out in a forest or desert somewhere, because there always food options, or the option to not eat. i suppose if you've gone without food for a long time and you need to eat and the only thing around is a cake made out of pasta and cookies, eat the cake.

    as far as cheats that you allow yourself...i wouldn't stress too much about it. i'll usually go to something sugary before i turn to something with grains, but that's a personal preference. the important thing is getting back on track as soon as you can.

    Yeah, that's it exactly. Forced social situations where you can't refuse it..

    How bout Haagen Daaz icecream? LOL, that's what i went with. Lots of sugar, but at least it's high fat. I feel good about it (this is like 1x/month, max)

  6. #6
    jammies's Avatar
    jammies is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,522
    Is it Rob Wolf who says that if you have to cheat, you should at least keep it gluten free?

    I guess it depends on your goals and what food groups seem to cause you issues. For some people, even a little bit of gluten can trigger big problems.

    Personally, as long as it's not too frequent, I don't worry about it. I do react badly to nightshades and somewhat to dairy and eggs, so I try to keep those minimized. But I just eat primal most of the time and don't worry about it on those special occasions.

  7. #7
    who's Avatar
    who
    who is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by belinda View Post
    I've totally cut out foods containing gluten but occasionally put 1/2 tsp of sugar in my tea or a drizzle of honey on my yogurt, but that's about it. Oh, and there was the cheesecake I ate last weekend
    Yeah, from what I have learned sugar>>>>>gluten for most people. It's okay once in a while, without a doubt.

    Correct me if I'm wrong on this..

  8. #8
    d2mini's Avatar
    d2mini is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by who View Post
    How bout Haagen Daaz icecream? LOL, that's what i went with. Lots of sugar, but at least it's high fat. I feel good about it (this is like 1x/month, max)
    Now this is an interesting statement. Hmmmmm..... So could it really be true that the one brand of ice cream that APPALLED me before going Paleo due to the crazy high fat content, could actually be the healthier choice due to the high fat content? In comparison to Dryers or any of the lower fat options? Ice cream has always been the one thing I always said I would never give up. Or gelato. Have to have one of the two now and again. Gelato is my preference, but i'll take anything.
    -dennis

  9. #9
    simpstr's Avatar
    simpstr is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    northern va
    Posts
    369
    Quote Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
    Now this is an interesting statement. Hmmmmm..... So could it really be true that the one brand of ice cream that APPALLED me before going Paleo due to the crazy high fat content, could actually be the healthier choice due to the high fat content? In comparison to Dryers or any of the lower fat options? Ice cream has always been the one thing I always said I would never give up. Or gelato. Have to have one of the two now and again. Gelato is my preference, but i'll take anything.
    I had a madddd craving for ice cream on Monday so I went and got a pint of the Starbucks Peppermint Mocha! wow it was so good but I'm telling you, today I'm very bloated!!!! Not sure I'm gonna do that again for a long while.
    Health is Wealth!

  10. #10
    kitoi's Avatar
    kitoi is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Fairfield, CA
    Posts
    547
    Just stay from grains, bring on the everything else. That's what I do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •