Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disinterested in Food/Eating? page

starrchilde is offline Senior Member

Disinterested in Food/Eating?

I'm on day 12 of this new lifestyle, still dealing with the carb flu (constant headaches/fatigue) and still working my way through the book. I typically eat two meals a day - lunch around 1400hrs, dinner around 2000hrs.

The issue I've encountered is even with foods I like and typically enjoy, I don't want to eat. It's not that I'm trying to not eat, I just am not hungry and the idea of eating is unappealing. Once I start eating I eat a decent amount, but am still ambivalent about it even if it was tasty and otherwise enjoyable.

Here is an example of yesterday's foods:

Lunch:
    24 large shrimp, 1/2 cup guacamole, 15 baby carrots, 1kmg B-12, 2kIU VitD

Dinner:
    10 oz ground beef, 1/2 cup mushrooms, 2 T butter, 2 fried eggs, 1/2 cup shredded cheese, 3 cups mixed lettuces, 1/2 cup tomatoes, 1/3 cup cucumber, 2 T gorgonzola

I acknowledge it was a bit heavy on the dairy, but I typically don't have an issue with it, so I didn't plan on cutting it out at this point.

Any feedback and/or suggestions would be appreciated, I was highly unenthusiastic about food prior to this and it's just gotten so much worse... It would be nice were it entirely optional.
    ~ Chris

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life.

When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "happy". They told me I didnít understand the assignment.

I told them they didnít understand life.
    ó John Lennon

Thunderchild is offline Member
    Hello, personally I would break those 2 meals a day up into 3 or 4. You seem to be eating a lot of food in one sitting.

CoyoteVick is offline Senior Member
    I got into this rut too. I started eating coconut oil, and would eat a little, then be totally spoiled for food the rest of the day. What I found interesting was that my body was crazing fat so much that anything that wasn't actual fat (coconut oil, bacon, butter, etc) was not appealing. I still have to watch that, and if I find myself going "I really haven't eaten in a while, I should do that" then I eat a little bit of carbs to "stimulate" my appetite, then eat my main meal. A banana or an apple or some berries stimulates my appetite really well.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I'm in agreement with Thunderchild. Unless you're bodybuilding, or cross-fitting every day or something like that, your meals do seem really large. If I ate your lunch or your dinner, I probably wouldn't be hungry for my next meal either.

Just for fun, I inputted your dinner into Fitday and came up with approximately 1465 calories. That's almost my daily allowance (but I'm only 5'4 and female).
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I go through phases where I am not interested in food as well. Sometimes I have no appetite, but sometimes I will find that I am hungry but food is not at all appealing to me. There are a few things that have been suggested to me:

1. This can be a symptom of zinc deficiency. You could try adding some zinc rich foods (I think oysters are the big one) or add a supplement in a couple days a week. If my appetite is gone for for than a week or two I will take some zinc for a while.

2. This can be the result of too few carbs in your diet. You could need to add in a sweet potato here and there or a little fruit.

3. This can be the result of natural appetite cycling. This is almost always the case for me. I have learned to obey my appetite and just eat less when my body doesn't want food. Then my appetite usually comes back with a roar and I am eating like a lion for a while. Seems to all balance out.

Good luck!

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I go through phases where I am not interested in food as well. Sometimes I have no appetite, but sometimes I will find that I am hungry but food is not at all appealing to me. There are a few things that have been suggested to me:

1. This can be a symptom of zinc deficiency. You could try adding some zinc rich foods (I think oysters are the big one) or add a supplement in a couple days a week. If my appetite is gone for for than a week or two I will take some zinc for a while.

2. This can be the result of too few carbs in your diet. You could need to add in a sweet potato here and there or a little fruit.

3. This can be the result of natural appetite cycling. This is almost always the case for me. I have learned to obey my appetite and just eat less when my body doesn't want food. Then my appetite usually comes back with a roar and I am eating like a lion for a while. Seems to all balance out.

Good luck!
    +1

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderchild View Post
    Hello, personally I would break those 2 meals a day up into 3 or 4. You seem to be eating a lot of food in one sitting.
    There's nothing wrong with that. It's CW to think we have to eat lots of little meals instead of a few big ones.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

starrchilde is offline Senior Member
    @Thunderchild/Griff - Thanks for the discussion about small meals versus large ones. I just don't get hungry until I've been awake for a while, so I'm glad to know that eating a couple of larger meals versus a bunch of smaller ones is a-ok.

@CoyoteVick - If it continues, I'll try a small snack of something first to see if it helps kickstart things.

@belinda - It does seem like a lot of food, but I'm doing this in conjunction with WW and even with all of that, it's still under my daily points for yesterday. I'm just starting from a very large place. Heh

@jammies - This is great information to have, thank you! It gives me a few different options to look and places to start from, which definitely helps.

Thank you all for the feedback, I very much appreciate it!
    ~ Chris

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life.

When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "happy". They told me I didnít understand the assignment.

I told them they didnít understand life.
    ó John Lennon

lucyh is offline Senior Member
    I felt exactly the same as you are describing when I was about the same number of days in. It's now a couple weeks later, and the carb flu is lifting, and my appetite is starting to regulate itself better. I've never been one to eat breakfast early anyway, so I just wait until 9:30 or 10 and eat at my desk at work, and then usually have a late lunch, around 2. I don't usually get home before 7, so dinner seldom happens before 8, but this schedule seems to be working for me right now.
    My advice is just to keep plugging away and eat when you're hungry, even if that is only twice a day. The carb flu will get better! I'm still waiting for that energy buzz I keep hearing about, but except for a 4 o'clock slump, I am feeling much more normal now!

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    I generally only eat twice a day now - which is better than the 10 times a day I usually needed to eat before.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast