Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please list the good fats that you eat and recommend. page

Reacher is offline Member

Please list the good fats that you eat and recommend.

Okay, I could go through all the Primal/Paleo/ low carb books I've purchased in the last 2 months and try to dig out what good fats are but...well I'm lazy (and maybe confused).

Living for years on grains, carbs and low fats, its sort of difficult to turn that switch and know what the hell a fat is anymore.

I've started, bacon, coconut milk/cream/oil, burgers, steaks (just started trying to find the fat ones and not the lean ones) but am about stumped after this.

30-40 years of lean meats and I cant remember what the fat ones are.

Thanks in advance.

AntonG is offline Senior Member
    Whole eggs, steak (preferably bison), fish oil, olive oil, avocados, wild caught alaskan salmon

Reborn Grokker is offline Senior Member
    Also Virgin Coconut Oil, nuts, and if you can handle dairy go for full fat verson (butter, greek yogurt, etc)
    Heidi

33yo, 5'6", 158lbs, size 10 jeans

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure exactly what you're asking. You should really endeavor to avoid all industiral seed oils (soybean, corn, cottonseed, canola/rapeseed) first. Any animal fats are fine, though you may want to moderate your poultry fat intake since it's quite high in PUFA, specifically omega 6 (by all means eat the chicken skin when you DO eat chicken though). For the same reason, nut oils should be limited.

For a very thorough exploration of dietary fats, check out Kurt Harris's post here: Archevore - Archevore Blog - There is No Such Thing as a Macronutrient Part I -*Fats

AntonG is offline Senior Member
    if you do eat nuts, dont go overboard. they contain omega 6 and usually no omega 3 so the 3:6 ratio suffers. always include an adequate amount of fish and fish oil to get enough omega 3 in your diet.

simpstr is offline Senior Member
    All I eat is fish and bacon! I just added the bacon about two weeks ago. My menu is limited and I'm getting board. I've also found that my cycle thru me off my normal schedule and I ate stuff that I shouldn't have and now I seem to be not happy with what I'm eating. I'm trying desparately to get back on track. Any ideas on how to jump start it again?
    Health is Wealth!

stephenmarklay is offline Senior Member
    The best are mentioned, and for me Beef, Wild Alaskan Salmon, sardines (vital choice or wild planet for BPA free cans) Lamb, eggs, milk fats if you do dairy, coconut, macadamia nuts, avocado, olive, cocoa.

I eat to a much lesser extent pork, poultry, rabbit, goat

Robynbee is offline Senior Member
    I'm a big fan of salmon and avocado, and virgin coconut oil is probably the best thing in the entire world.

mayness is offline Senior Member
    I eat: beef, fresh fish, canned fish (salmon, tuna, sardines), eggs, olive oil, coconut oil, avocado, coconut milk, macadamia nuts, butter, my fish oil supplement.

Things I eat that I'd consider sources of "okay fats" rather than "good fats": chicken, pork, almond flour, almond butter, chocolate. =]
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

simpstr is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I like guacamole but I don't know what to eat it on since we can have chips so I dont make it but I miss it and I can't take the texture of avocados.....wa thinking about making guac and maybe putting on or in my scrambled eggs?
    Health is Wealth!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast