Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does IFing mean being hungry? page

Goldensparrow is offline Senior Member

Does IFing mean being hungry?

Primal Fuel
    I was reading one of Lean Saloon's articles, and he basically says its what is supposed to happen. Yet, a lot of people here say you shouldn't be hungry...IFing should come "naturally". I mean should I push through if I get hungry 13hrs in or am I supposed to eat? This is all so confusing a lot of times. I want to get "lean", but at what point does it become unhealthy.....I thought we were supposed to listen to our bodies. This seems like ignoring it to me.

profdjj is offline Senior Member
    I'm never hungry when I IF if I have eaten a large enough lunch (I skip dinner). If I am hungery then I eat a little protein (chicken, beef, etc.)

profdjj is offline Senior Member
    Oh - my eating window is 6 hours / fast for 18 hours per day. I eat breakfast and lunch and I eat enough to be pleasantly full. Lasts me all day.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    It's up to you!

I am definitely "hungry" during my fasts. Just some ghrelin talking! Normal, as you read in LeanSaloon.

In fact, I have some hunger sensations now. No big deal. I know I won't die if I don't eat until my eating window starts at 4pm. I am going to have a cup of tea and start a project. In about 10 min or less I will forget that I was hungry.

I do listen to my hunger, but only during my eating window.

When I am fasting, I tell my body to eat some belly fat and relax!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post

When I am fasting, I tell my body to eat some belly fat and relax!
    LOL....I've tried that...my body is hardheaded like me. I will give it a better shot.

Skipping breakfast is going to work best for me I think. I have a hubby that loves a homecooked dinner every night. So I hope it doesn't matter too much. I'll probably have a 7-8 hr eating window for awhile. See if that works. I don't think I can manage 6 due to my work schedule.

Kvalhion is offline Senior Member
    If I am thinking about food (or talking about it on here lol) then sometimes I will be hungry. Otherwise for the most part I wont start feeling the hunger pangs until about an hour or two before the eating window starts.

Having a cup of black coffee in the mid-morning seems to help ease any hunger pangs. I do not fear being hungry.. I end up enjoying the food more when I do eat and I have more energy throughout the day. Just make sure you get enough food in your eating window.
    5-24-10 ................ 5-24-11
    Weight: 281.......... Weight: 203

10-11-10
    Weight: 259
    Total Cholesterol: 243
    LDL: 188
    HDL: 40
    Trig: 96

2-18-11
    Weight: 228
    Total Cholesterol: 239
    LDL: 183 (calc), 138 (actual)
    HDL: 46
    Trig: 49

6-23-11
    Weight: 197.2
    Total Cholesterol: 225
    LDL: 161 (calc), 120 (actual)
    HDL: 56
    Trig: 38

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldensparrow View Post
    LOL....I've tried that...my body is hardheaded like me. I will give it a better shot.

Skipping breakfast is going to work best for me I think. I have a hubby that loves a homecooked dinner every night. So I hope it doesn't matter too much. I'll probably have a 7-8 hr eating window for awhile. See if that works. I don't think I can manage 6 due to my work schedule.
    I started out with a 7-8 hour eating window, too. The main reason I am transitioning to a smaller eating window is that I was eating too much to drop my last pound or two of belly fat.

Play with it and see what works for you!

dboxing is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldensparrow View Post
    I was reading one of Lean Saloon's articles, and he basically says its what is supposed to happen. Yet, a lot of people here say you shouldn't be hungry...IFing should come "naturally". I mean should I push through if I get hungry 13hrs in or am I supposed to eat? This is all so confusing a lot of times. I want to get "lean", but at what point does it become unhealthy.....I thought we were supposed to listen to our bodies. This seems like ignoring it to me.
    The answer is you eat when you are hungry. The problem is that there are many types of “hunger”. Taste hunger, mind hunger, habit hunger, emotional hunger, etc. What you are looking for is true nutritional hunger. In other words your body must take in outside nutrition in order to sustain itself and/or avoid becoming catabolic (beyong the fat obviously) and/or avoid decreased function to the point it becomes detrimental.
    Because, up until the recently, human beings have not had unlimited quantities of food available, mother nature took care of this for us. You ate when you had food. Period. Now though we have to mimic Mother Nature by limiting the frequency of meals. Pick a fasting schedule that works for you and stick with it. As long as it is reasonable, you won’t starve, therefore you know that the “hunger” you are feeling along the way is not true hunger.
    Last edited by dboxing; 04-27-2011 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dboxing View Post
    The answer is you eat when you are hungry. The problem is that there are many types of “hunger”. Taste hunger, mind hunger, habit hunger, emotional hunger, etc. What you are looking for is true nutritional hunger. In other words your body must take in outside nutrition in order to sustain itself and/or avoid becoming catabolic (beyong the fat obviously) and/or avoid decreased function to the point it becomes detrimental.
    Because, up until the recently, human beings have not had unlimited quantities of food available, mother nature took care of this for us. You ate when you had food. Period. Now though we have to mimic Mother Nature by limiting the frequency of meals. Pick a fasting schedule that works for you and stick with it. As long as it is reasonable, you won’t starve, therefore you know that the “hunger” you are feeling along the way is not true hunger.
    Yeah I know that some hunger pains aren't "real" hunger, but my body just being greedy. I have to get over it. I worry a lot about my blood sugar dropping, tho....like it used to before I went Primal. If I feel anything remotely like "the shakes", then I start freaking out and eat something. I guess I need to give my body a chance to fail me huh?

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My stomach is growling a bit as I prepare my groklings lunch for them, but I'm not dizzy, panicked, outrageously craving food like I used to before primal and IF'ing. It's a managable comfortable hunger. It's very motivating and energizing too. I'm ready to go out and stalk my prey all day if I have too!
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast