Thread: something i dont understand page

saarx1 is offline Senior Member

something i dont understand

Shop Now
    well, in one of the threads i opened, a member told me that i will probably not lose weight if i eat according to an eating menu, and that i should only eat when im hungry.
    but lately i saw the movie "fat head" (i hope u guys know it).
    its about a guy eating mcdonald for a month and losing weight.
    and he actually ate 3 meals a day, and counting calories and carbs, protein and fat intake per day.
    its definetly counts as an eating menu.
    and he did actually lose 6kg in a month.
    now i dont understand what should i do?? that is the opposite of what a member in the forum told me, and i dont know which road to take.
    thanks

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    I think it depends on the individual. Some are able to eat without counting, some need to count. I think most people start by just cutting out the crap food in favor of primal fare, and then once their carb flu has subsided they can tweak their diet ratios and numbers.
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

AntonG is offline Senior Member
    its not about weight. its about body composition.

you can lose weight eating practically anything as long as you are in caloric deficit, however your body fat percentage will skyrocket on a McDonalds type diet. diet like that lacks any type of good nutrition and contains all highly glycemic carbs. this leads to decrease in muscle mass and prolonged spikes in blood sugar that lead to insulin insensitivity and fat gain.

you should focus on eating according to the Blueprint and getting steady resistance exercise. over time you will become leaner and gain muscle, even though the scale might not reflect the results right away.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    a) He was not doing Paleo or Primal. He was doing low-carb, to prove a point to his doctor. He wrote down what he ate *after* he ate it, not before, so that his doctor would have a record of what he ate.

b) Let go of the menu idea, please. Eat whatever Primal food you have an appetite for when you are hungry and ONLY when you are hungry. You don't know how to listen to your body right now, and menus and schedules will not help you learn.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Let's examine the logic of the issue.

If Eat less then Lose weight
    Does it follow that if Lose Weight, then they Ate Less? Nope, that's something that Tom Naughton believes. So if you don't necessarily want to starve yourself then you can try other things. What might those be?

If Become Healthy then Lose weight. This is demonstrably true to anyone who is familiar with the science of it. It emphatically does not follow that if Lose Weight then someone Became Healthy. Tom Naughton became less healthy on his Mcdonalds diet, and he definitely become less healthy on his low fat low calorie diet (remember that scene? )

So what is most reasonable to do? Become Healthy and Lose Weight simultaneously or any other combination of the terms used? Obviously you want both, so you should try to become as healthy as possible by reading Mark's blog and book and striving for health, not just to lose weight now.

Besides, he might have been able to lose weight for a month but there are a lot of examples of people who go on traditional diets who lose some weight but have a lot more to go and no way to do it. They are hungry and depressed and aren't meeting their goals and when they start eating more food again they bloat back up and it was all for nothing. The way to make weight loss sustainable is to become healthy. Accumulating of body fat should be seen as more the symptom of a problem rather than the problem itself.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

saarx1 is offline Senior Member
    btw Griff, english isnt my first language so its hard for me to express myself very well in writing.
    if the thread looks like im angry or somthing at u for telling me to ditch menus, its not what i meant.
    i posted a thread like few days ago, and i told that primal is not what i need i think right now since im recruited to the army soon, but i still wanna use the useful things such as eatings when im hungry.
    just wanted to understand thats all.
    thanks btw

Tawny is offline Senior Member
    What do you mean by an eating menu?

It may help you at first to plan out primal meals so that you know what to shop for and know ahead of time what you are going to eat so that you can move away from reaching for high carb and processed foods when you are hungry.

If you are talking about eating according to someone else's preset menu (or McDonald's menu for that matter) than that's not as likely to be successful, at least in the long term.

The primal lifestyle provides a guideline for health, not a preset menu. As hard as it seems at first, you have to figure out what works best for you.
    Like earthmomma said, start by cutting out all the carb crap. Once you've done that, you'll know for yourself what the next step should be.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tawny View Post
    What do you mean by an eating menu?
    Elsethread, the OP stated that he (or she) has been eating by a scheduled menu plan for going on six years - as in, not just what is being eaten but what time to eat it is all planned out. Totally not Primal.

To the OP: "ditch the menu" is just a colloquial Americanism for "get rid of it." Nothing aggressive about it.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html