Thread: pre-workout nutrition page

Tom Dunphy is offline Member

pre-workout nutrition

Shop Now
    related to a blog post mark made earlier this week...

what is your pre-workout nutrition like?

i do crossfit-style, high intensity interval training. my workouts include lifting heavy weight and some cardio.

before going primal i would eat a bowl of oatmeal about an hour before a workout and feel like a million bucks. now, i make a protein shake consisting of one cup mixed berries, one scoop of 100% whey protein and a teaspoon of BCAAs.

i'll be honest, i feel like i'm running on fumes when i work out.

anyone have any advice? what do you eat before your workouts and how does it work for you?

can i eat carbs or grains before a workout and still consider myself primal and continue to enjoy the benefits of the primal lifestyle?

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Sweet potato. Dried fruit. Fruit. There are things you can eat that have carbs.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i work out in a fasted state (usually about 17-18 hours) and i'm not going back. i have so much energy, and food makes a great reward PWO. i'm not sure if i would do this with weights though...my workout is all body weight, but still pretty intense.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Dunphy View Post

can i eat carbs or grains before a workout and still consider myself primal and continue to enjoy the benefits of the primal lifestyle?
    carbs, yes. grains, no. we don't avoid grains just because they are carb laden; we avoid grains because they will mess you up.

Reacher is offline Member
    I started Primal a couple of months ago and initially had no problem playing hockey. The last few times I majorly hit the wall. No legs, no wind nada.

Now I think I'll up the carbs before I go. Pre Primal I'd have spagetti 3 hours before I played and had no problems. Lately I tried on an empty stomach, after a normal Primal meal and after a smoothie of Protein Powder, and I sucked.

So now I guess I'll have to play with a few different things to get my game back. I did read the Paleo Athletes book but it was written in 2005 so some of the ideas are probably different now since the author is more sold on saturated fats.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

ennasirk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Dunphy View Post
    i do crossfit-style, high intensity interval training. my workouts include lifting heavy weight and some cardio.
    My workouts are fairly similar (30-45 minutes depending on which class/workout I do). I eat a cup of plain, whole milk yogurt about 30 minutes before I work out and it works pretty well for me - I like the mix of carbs/protein/fat. When I've worked out on just carbs (like if I'm traveling and my only real option is an apple) I have less energy for my workout and don't feel as good.

Others have had success working out fasted; I've found that it just doesn't work for my body. I work out is because it's fun, challenging, and makes me feel good; working out fasted makes me feel crappy so I don't do it. It's more important to me that I enjoy working out so I keep doing it than it is to work out fasted because I might get some incremental additional benefit from fasted training.
    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    i work out in a fasted state (usually about 17-18 hours) and i'm not going back. i have so much energy, and food makes a great reward PWO. i'm not sure if i would do this with weights though...my workout is all body weight, but still pretty intense.
    I love working out fasted, and I do heavy(relative to my strength) weight work.