Thread: ill effects from coconut - how long? page

Rae1219 is offline Junior Member

ill effects from coconut - how long?

Shop Now
    Hi friends. I know there have been a great many threads revolving around the negative gastrointestinal effects of eating coconut products. I was wondering if someone could tell me how long after eating coconut they start feeling ill?

Basically, I've been trying to track down what has given me some rather unpleasant problems in the past week. So far, I have had 2 very bad episodes. Looking over my food log, I have only eaten minimal amounts of creamed coconut the days before, but two days before I have eaten much more. Is it possible that it could take my body nearly two full days to respond?

Any input would be great. I have had to cancel lessons with students just because I'm worried about being far from a bathroom!

SonyaJane is offline Senior Member
    Have you been taking magnesium citrate or any other form of magnesium other than dimalate? I had issues too for some time and assumed it the primal woe and that I would get used to it. Turns out that magnesium citrate is a very effective 'loosener' for some people. I stopped taking so much and now I'm OK.

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    I have experienced no negative affects from coconut oil, milk, cream, creamed and dessicated coconut.

I can tell you though, that years ago when I started eating lots of coconut (Like one a day!) I had a strange spell one evening where I was incredibly tired, had some digestive issues, and like felt I had the flu. It passed, and never returned. Some might tell you it is candida 'die off'. Maybe; this is just my own experience.

Rae1219 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SonyaJane View Post
    Have you been taking magnesium citrate or any other form of magnesium other than dimalate? I had issues too for some time and assumed it the primal woe and that I would get used to it. Turns out that magnesium citrate is a very effective 'loosener' for some people. I stopped taking so much and now I'm OK.
    yes, i take one pill that has a variety of types of magnesium in it. however, i have been taking this for quite some time and only recently had these symptoms.

HillsideGina is offline Senior Member
    I don't have any negative effects. My husband can have the oil and the milk but gets intestinal upset with coconut flakes.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Coconut oil can cause GI upset, typically diarrhea, for many people especially when introduced quickly in to your diet.

I would remove coconut products from you diet for a few days to see if symptoms improve. Then add a small amount at a time to see how things go.

I didn't have any issues adding coconut oil into my diet (I think because I use so little), but when I had a hefty serving of coconut milk...yikes! It only took about 20 minutes for me to realize I jumped in too fast!
    -Krystal

superdeluxe is offline Senior Member
    On the healthy skeptic podcast, they discussed that stomach upset after coconut milk may be caused by guar gum, so you might want t check if your coconut milk contains that...
    Il faut vivre et non pas seulement exister.