Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions for Full-Time Employees page

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member

Questions for Full-Time Employees

Primal Fuel
    If you were allowed to work 20-30 hours per week instead of 40 do you believe your performance would skyrocket? Would you enjoy your job more? Life? Would you care more about your job? Would you maybe LOVE coming to work instead of dreading the commute?

Do you believe you would be able to learn more? Discover more? Make more of an impact in others lives?

I think around 80% of us are overworked. Is it time we change our philosophy on work? Who thought of 40 hours per week anyways? 8 hours a day... why not 5?

I'd love to read your thoughts.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

denbro01 is offline Senior Member
    Totally 10000% agree with you!!

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I'd love a 3 or 4 day weekend ... every week
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

elwyne is offline Senior Member
    I am fortunate in that I have a job I enjoy which provides amazing benefits. I think the 40hrs/wk is a decent trade-off for what I get.

That being said, I could probably do everything I do in 30hrs/wk. With that extra time I could maybe take another class at school, or get a regular volunteer gig. But I don't know if that would make it easier/more fun to come to work every day; it might make it harder, if I was filling up on even more (fun) commitments.

Kaeferin is offline Member
    I had my hours reduced to 30hrs/wk for a year during the crash. I actually enjoyed having that extra day off (just worked 4 days instead of 5).

40hrs is also very doable for me when I enjoy my job (which I do right now). 50hrs sucks buckets (happens ocassionally, plan lots of time off to compensate for that).

This being said, I'm in Europe - we get 25 days of holiday a year (PLUS public holidays), which makes a big big difference over the 10 days off most Americans get (and never take).

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaeferin View Post
    I had my hours reduced to 30hrs/wk for a year during the crash. I actually enjoyed having that extra day off (just worked 4 days instead of 5).

40hrs is also very doable for me when I enjoy my job (which I do right now). 50hrs sucks buckets (happens ocassionally, plan lots of time off to compensate for that).

This being said, I'm in Europe - we get 25 days of holiday a year (PLUS public holidays), which makes a big big difference over the 10 days off most Americans get (and never take).
    Good points. Some really do love their jobs and thus 40 hours is not really 40 hours. But, I still think the standard 40 hours should be cut down to 30.

We should also get more time off. Say 30 days a year PLUS standard holidays like Christmas, New Year, etc.

People will say that some jobs require so many hours. I disagree. Nurses work 12 hour shifts, right? What if that nurse worked 6 hour shifts. She would probably enjoy her job more and her performance would most definitely skyrocket. She would be able to sleep, cook her own meals, etc.

This would also open the opportunity for other people to have jobs. The pay would have to be less, but not too much.

Keep the thoughts coming!
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    yes to them all. i hate sitting here at a computer, HATE IT. i like my job, but 40 hours sitting is just to much....more along ridiculous. this is not nor has nothign to do with what i want to do in life which makes it worse

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    I'm pretty much cool with my 8 - 5 job because while I may sit in front of a computer all day, I train my ass off during lunch and do bjj at night. On weekends I ride my bike or go fishing.

I'm cool with it because working 8-5 gives me enough money to pretty much enjoy myself in my freetime with pretty much anything I want to try or do. Would I like to work less? SURE! Is it going to happen? Nope. It's worth the trade though.

carres1973 is offline Senior Member
    As you said PT, if one enjoys the job, 8 hours (or more) a day, 5 days (or more) a week, probably doesn't seem like a lot. If you don't like your job, or boss, or co-workers, etc., 40 hours can seem like a LIFETIME. Guess which camp I'm in??!!

Carrie

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    yes. yes to all those questions.

i don't feel overworked in any way...i actually feel bored. most weeks, i could get my job done in half the time. i would love the opportunity to do that.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast