Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kids Juice Alternatives page

JeffC is offline Senior Member

Kids Juice Alternatives

So my wife does most of the shopping and food prep for our children and is not as primal as I am and I am fine with that. I try to set a good example and cook a lot on the weekends, usually very primal. All in all I am fairly satisfied with how my kids eat, it's not perfect but way better than typical SAD and better than I was as a child but also acknowledges some of the reality of 21st Century living, yes I do have fast food from time to time.

One unfortunate thing has worked its way into our routine is Trader Joes Organic White Grape Juice. I am fine with occasional juice drinks and know they serve it at our preschool (but not at the kindegarten where our 5 year old will start in the fall). But it has turned into a battle of wills between my daughter and me. I usually cut it 50/50 with water and would be fine with that but my daughter will throw fits if it is not all juice. I have to pick and choose my battles and this is one that it is not worth fighting although I do not want to capitulate entirely.

So my question for you all is, have you come up with a healthier alternative (that is lower sugar compared to pure juice)? Don't say water and milk as those are the usual drinks. I would also accept something with an artifical sweetener but I don't think it will work to only have regular juice a few days per week or only once a day, I need more of a go to thing I can just pour and get on with it every day of the week.

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    Start off diluting it slightly and then work your way down, if juice is the only thing that will work. If you do it gradually, she may not notice. We are not doing juice now, but when we did it was limited to 1 or 2 cups a day - otherwise my kids would drink juice all day and never eat anything. I knew one kid who actually did that and she didn't grow for a year until her mom was sent to a dietitian to review her diet.

If you are ok with artificial sweeteners there are lots of drinks. I find artificial sweeteners sorta gross, so I don't know much about good choices there, sorry.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

spearchick is offline Member
    My 2 year old daughter loves water with lemon or lime squeezed in there. Sometimes (when I'm on the ball) I'll make a jug of water and just squeeze a bunch of lemons in it. Then it's ready to go whenever she wants some. We also still give her diluted juice, usually 1/4 juice and 3/4 water.

Melody is offline Senior Member
    who cares if your daughter throws fits? you're the parent and it is your job to give her the right food.
    my kids like teas, many come with stevia which is naturally sweet.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Melody View Post
    who cares if your daughter throws fits? you're the parent and it is your job to give her the right food.
    Exactly. Don't be afraid of a 5 year old.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

melodious is offline Senior Member
    1. If you buy the jug (or whatever container it comes in) of juice, then dilute it by half inside the jug, so she never sees you dilute it, it could work around her. So you buy a bottle, pour out half (into an old bottle probably), then refill.
    2. Also, Bigelow does a fabulous raspberry tea. It's very, very berry. Just plain old raspberry tea.
    3. Have you tried almond milk?

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    we buy 100% juice and initially diluted it by 50/50 (juice/water ratio) ... however dd is such a juice a holic - she won't drink h2o - so we started going to 25/75, and now instead of 3 juices at dcp she get 2 juices, and 1 kids camelbak bottle of h2o & 1 cup of goats milk. If she's consumed all her juice at dcp - she has to have at least 1/2 of her kids camelbak bottle before she can get any more "juice". If she's done that, then she'll get another juice of 10/90.

Looking back I wish we'd never introduced juice but we did...w/ds he won't be getting juice on a regular basis just water and ebm

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    If your kid is skinny, and the juice is just that - what's the problem with juice? Lots of good stuff in there as well - no?

racingsnake is offline Senior Member
    Don't keep any in the house and then when she asks for it, you won't have any problems. She'll forget about it pretty quickly. I've weaned both ours off various things along the way and it's astonishing how quickly they adjust. I refuse to let my children drink sugar.

K.ROB is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Melody View Post
    Agreed. My son throws fits, but he just drinks water. I don't force him but when he is thirsty he will drink the water. Sometimes we give him coconut water, but it is diluted and this is maybe once a week.
    Family Living Simple blog

Facebook

Twitter @Famlivingsimple

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast