Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just started using kettle bells page

paleoforlupus is offline Junior Member

Just started using kettle bells

Shop Now
    I just did my first kettle bell workout yesterday (the only resistance training I've been doing is own bodyweight with primal blueprint fitness) and I am SORE!! I seems that Mark advocates long recovery times. What are your opinions? I was thinking that I would take today off and go again tomorrow. I'm thinking I'll do a kettle bell workout every two days. Is this too much? Should I wait until I'm no longer sore? Just not sure how to proceed.

lahlon55 is offline Junior Member
    I've been working out with KB's for a little over a year, and I would say you can do either. If you're using them primarily for strength gains, you might want to take a day off, especially if you're sore. However, I sometimes will do a high rep day (such as lots of swings, or some turkish Getups, windmills, etc) on days between a heavy session such as clean and press workout described in Enter the Kettlebell. Let your body tell you want to do

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    Begin your next workout when you feel stronger or at least as strong as before your previous workout. :-)

CE402 is offline Senior Member
    48 hours should be enough recovery time when you're just starting out. Don't be afraid of DOMS, and don't take "rest" days to mean laying on the couch doing nothing. Often a light workout the day after will help, as the increased blood flow will help to flush toxins from the healing muscles.

Like others said- when you no longer feel tired from your last workout is when you should begin your next if you're trying to build strength.

Catalyst is offline Member
    Hip flexor stretches and foam rollers!
    RKC, AFAA PT
    ------------------------------------------------
    “We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons.” -Jim Rohn

Phil-SC is offline Senior Member
    I agree with the other posts...let your body be your guide. In my case...48 hours is usually good. A little soreness may still be there...but another good workout makes it go away. :-)

Train hard.

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    The harder the workout, the longer you'll need for recovery. But it also depends on the type of workout. Kettlebell workouts are *usually* focusing more on producing metabolic load in the muscles (higher numbers of repetition than in HIT or 5x5 approaches), and in that case there's less risk of overtraining. Nevertheless, like I said above, if you begin your workout and you feel weaker than in the previous workout, give it a miss and allow some extra days for recovery. Working out doesn't make sense when you're getting weaker in the process.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I've also recently started using KBs (mostly swings) after I do my barbell training. I'm using them to temporarily replace sled drags since those were aggravating a shin splint that will not go away and I still wanted to get some good metabolic work in. Any tips of properly performing swings? I still definitely need to dial in my form.

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    Not to highjack but I'm considering a KB workout but am wondering if you need to keep going up in weight. Should one buy a set, or an adjustable? Or can you just intensify the workout with the same kettelbell?

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    I've also recently started using KBs (mostly swings) after I do my barbell training. I'm using them to temporarily replace sled drags since those were aggravating a shin splint that will not go away and I still wanted to get some good metabolic work in. Any tips of properly performing swings? I still definitely need to dial in my form.
    Drive with the hips and not the shoulders.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast