Thread: Sneaking in the fat page

Stevemid is offline Junior Member

Sneaking in the fat

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi all,

I have been enjoying the primal lifestyle and have recommended it to a few friends and family, with mixed responses.

My mum decided to give it a go (maybe just to humour me, but she does have some weight to lose) and has stuck to it fairly well for a few months however she doesn't seem to be benefiting from it as well as I would have expected - she is losing weight, but only maybe 1/2 lb a week at best.
    I quizzed her about what she is eating and she is being very good - no cheating, but I think I may have found the problem... it seems that years and years of 'conventional wisdom' eating has made her dislike fat, so I don't think she is eating enough to follow this plan correctly.

For example, she can't bring herself to eat chicken skin, bacon rind and oily things make her feel sick etc. She even seems to struggle with red meat.

So... I have been trying to suggest ways of sneaking in more (good) fat into her diet - eggs, avocados, oily fish etc. so that she doesn't have to eat things she didn't like: there's no point trying to follow something if you hate the food!

It seems to me she is eating a low-fat, low-carb diet at the moment, which I don't think she's enjoying (so not likely to persist with). I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions that might help get her nutritional ratios more 'primal'.

Thanks in advance!

Steve

peril is offline Senior Member
    Casseroles and curries are a great way of hiding fat. You can use cream or coconut milk to emulsify the fat. Evaporate too much water and it will give up the fat so just add more water and stir
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    You could also have her eat nuts and nut butters. Not optimal, but good way to up the fats quickly with minimal food. There is also coconut butter (not oil) that is not greasy at all. I believe coconut cream is good as well, but I have never tried it.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.