Thread: Oh, the irony... page

norak is offline Senior Member

Oh, the irony...

I came across this article the other day (Google translation) about a woman who first lost 30kg on a low-carb diet, then she went back to her old way of eating and subsequently gained 40kg. The article's apparent conclusion: a low-carb diet is bad for you.

What I find so annoying about the article's point of view is that they don't seem consider the fact that she went back to eating too much had anything to do with the weight gain, only that she did the low-carb thing first..

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    So sad. Primal is a lifestyle. Maybe she should have done that? I literally refuse to ever use the word diet alongside paleo and primal ever again.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

It seems to be the main complaint about low-carb, from people who have actually tried it, is that they often feel they have low energy on it. I think this is because they go too low (aiming for ketosis to speed up fat loss), and instead of just increasing the carb intake slightly they ditch the entire "diet" an go back to their old ways.

I'm guessing the woman in the article probably was eating to few carbs (and maybe too little fat as well), but I think she would have had a much better results if she had upped hard carb intake slightly (and actually worked out) instead of just "giving up".

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by norak View Post
    It seems to be the main complaint about low-carb, from people who have actually tried it, is that they often feel they have low energy on it. I think this is because they go too low (aiming for ketosis to speed up fat loss), and instead of just increasing the carb intake slightly they ditch the entire "diet" an go back to their old ways.

I haven't noted that complaint from people I know that did it and did not stick with it. It just seems that they don't like the struggle to keep carbs out because you have to keep saying no to things everyone else is eating. Even little things add up...orange juice, ice cream... People learn to lose on low carb but it does not sink in that it is a lifelong WOE, not some temporary boot camp WOE that you do to make a weight adjustment for a set length of time.

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    +1 on not using the word 'diet' along with primal. I actually cringe when I hear people describe it as a diet, it's so much more. I remember during the Atkin's craze people complaining that 'when you finish this diet and start eating normally again, the weight piles back on'. Um, duuuuh.

Quote Originally Posted by DFH View Post
    I haven't noted that complaint from people I know that did it and did not stick with it.
    The complaints I have heard (from people I know) have not been from people who are trying to lose weight, but rather, from fit, athletic people who complain that they no longer have the energy to do all the things they used to do (i.e. endurance sports and similar). However, I think this could easily be solved by upping the intake of fruits and vegetables, and not replacing the steak with pasta, which seems to be the "normal" solution.

john_solo is offline Senior Member
    I eat a lot of fruit and will continue to do so. I do love it when a coworker sees me eating melon or an apple or a banana or something and says 'I thought you were on a low-carb diet?!?!' I'm not on a diet, and Primal isn't a low-carb lifestyle.

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by john_solo View Post
    Primal isn't a low-carb lifestyle.
    Maybe not for you.