Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skeptical about high fat as "primal" page

bookstorecowboy is offline Senior Member

Skeptical about high fat as "primal"

Primal Fuel
    I have been converting to PB for a month now and finally went over, throwing out all dairy and grains as of this week. But I am skeptical about high fat. I am cooking with coconut oil and certainly enjoy high fat foods. But really: coconut oil? It's not like the cave men had ways of extracting oil. All oils seem like manufactured products to me. And the meats that cave men ate must have been fairly lean, as well, given the "free range" lives the animals led.

I would be interested in responses. In general, I am feeling far more energetic, happier, more alert, and stronger, but I don't think I'm getting in as much fat as is recommended by Mr. Sissons.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    You'll find this info elsewhere but it's 2:30 a.m. and I should be in bed, so here it is in a nutshell... primitive meats may have been leaner but overall the animals had plenty of fat. Cavemen would have eaten the entire animal, not just the choice bits so they took in lots of fat.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    Also you have to look at it from a scientific perspective aswell on certain aspects. Cavemen probably didn't eat coconut oil, but coconut oil has health benefits and is certaínly not detrimental. The same goes for butter, vinegar, bacon etc.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Here's a link to a site with info on wild animal fat levels...

Archevore - Archevore Blog

Eatmydust is offline Senior Member
    I know when not getting enough fat, I am hungry and wanting to snack..... that is how I judge if I am getting enough fat or not..

I start craving fat, grab a little something high fat and the feeling is gone.. so listen to your body

bookstorecowboy is offline Senior Member
    Funny thing -- I could literally drink heavy cream every day, I think. Never have, because I figured it would make me fat (I am not exactly an Olympic gymnast now). But I am dropping the dairy entirely for now.

muaythaimike is offline Senior Member
    Traditional cultures managed to make coconut oil (the people from the pacific islands used it; check weston price) without modern industrial processing. I'm sure there is also a way to make olive oil without major manufacturing.

Cave men would have hunted all types of animals, some fattier than others. There is evidence they hunted mammoths, cave bears and other large game that would have supplied a lot of fat. I guess the amount of fat in their diet would have been a reflection of their environment. So closer to the equator more carbs were eaten and further away people would eat more fats and protein.

"Paleo" doesn't have to be high fat, but primal (a version of paleo) IS a high fat diet. There are plenty of benefits to running on fat but find out what works best for you. Just because a food/product wasn't available in the paleolithic doesn't mean it is bad for you and has no benefits.
    Last edited by muaythaimike; 04-27-2011 at 12:48 AM.
    "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian

Edje Noh is offline Senior Member
    I see a lot of folks posting they eat a lot of coconut, milk, oil, you name it.
    Sure, they are high fat, but also high saturated fat, not mono- and poly unsaturated fat.
    I include them, but I eat them in moderation and focus on getting fat from as much different sources of food as possible.
    It's still very primal to eat a lot of fat. Also I don't think getting 50% of your calories from fat is a high-fat diet, as you can get an equal amount of grams of fat, proteine and carbs while doing so. It's just that the fat is more calorically dense, hence why it seems you're eating 'high-fat'.

Angieh is offline Senior Member
    Personally, I think it's a mistake and very limiting to get hung up on "Cavemen wouldn't have done _____ or eaten _____." Just go with it, see how you "look, feel, perform," (Robb Wolf), and if it works keep doing it. If it doesn't work, tweak it.

Good luck... sounds like it IS working well for you so far!

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I saw a show recently - I THINK it was one of Les Stroud's new shows - where a group of men went on a hunt for a wild brush porcupine in Africa (I think). When they caught the thing, they threw it on a fire to burn off the quills. Then all the hunter men ate all of the surface fat. Great gobs of surface fat, like scooping up ice cream. Partly because they needed to replenish the energy they expended in the hunt but also because the fat spoils more quickly. They brought the comparatively leaner meat back to the tribe.

Yeah. You need fat. Fat means energy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast