Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Erica's first powerlifting meet! (video) page

erica057 is offline Senior Member

Erica's first powerlifting meet! (video)

Shop Now
    Backstory: boxing is my main sport, but I started lifting seriously about a year ago after Women's National Golden Gloves. I couldn't get down to 119 but all of the girls at 125 were stronger than I. So, I decided to become the strongest 125 pounder I can be. I won't get into it right now, but if anyone is curious about anything regarding the effect that strength training has had on my boxing, just ask. I don't have a whole lot of time to weight train because I do so much boxing training and everything that goes with it (running, jump rope, etc) but I try to get my big basic lifts in. I've always wanted to compete and I don't have any fights for a while so it seemed like a good time. I went really conservative and I regret not shooting for higher in at least my third attempts, but now I know. Regardless, I know my lifts are pretty wussy compared to a lot of you folks and the people with whom you train, but I'm really a boxer first and foremost so I guess this is what you get.

I broke the state records for squat, bench, and total; supposedly I had broken deadlift as well but I looked it up later, and the record was 230 not 220 as they had told me. There was only one other female and she bombed out on the squat.

My bench basically sucked because like two weeks before the meet I was reading this random girl's meet report and she said that she missed her 2nd and 3rd attempts because they took so long to give the press command, then I was like "uhh oh sh!t I should probably be training for that". Had my husband start cueing me (I made him watch YouTube videos from 100% RAW bench press meets to get an idea of the timing) and my 1RM unfortunately dropped quite a bit. I PR'd on the squat and deadlift though.

Here is my video:

I did eat a lot of carbs the night before the meet (got a breakfast combo from Cracker Barrel for dinner) but it was largely because I cut a little bit of weight for the competition so I was particularly glycogen-depleted. I brought a cooler with me containing boiled eggs, carrot sticks, guacamole, Greek yogurt, walnuts, and chicken salad, plus some water and unsweet tea, and also a bag of Smarties (pure dextrose). I ate about 5 rolls of Smarties throughout the course of the meet, they are my go-to if I need an IMMEDIATE blood sugar surge. I probably could have just eaten more of the slower-digesting food and eaten it more frequently, but I was so pumped/excited that I was having trouble forcing myself to eat and ended up with the candy. Clean eating purists could probably get away with something like my sweet potato shake.
    My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
    My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

Bostonbully is offline Senior Member
    Congrats, very sexy, and you had more in you
    "Live Free or Die"

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    You looked like you smashed those state records with complete ease.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

NutMeg is offline Senior Member

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Congrats, Erica!
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

beaver is offline Senior Member
    Awesome Job Erica!!!!!!
    RLTW

kitoi is offline Senior Member

Thumbs up

Great work!

Nethru is offline Member
    Freaking awsome!
    ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Melody is offline Senior Member
    you did awesome! i'm doing my first meet in october at 123 and i'd love to get close to those numbers!

racingsnake is offline Senior Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast