Thread: Link Between High-Fat Diet and Type 2 Diabetes Clarified page

bookstorecowboy is offline Senior Member

Link Between High-Fat Diet and Type 2 Diabetes Clarified

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Comments on this?

Link Between High-Fat Diet and Type 2 Diabetes Clarified
    ScienceDaily (Apr. 11, 2011) A diet high in saturated fat is a key contributor to type 2 diabetes, a major health threat worldwide. Several decades ago scientists noticed that people with type 2 diabetes have overly active immune responses, leaving their bodies rife with inflammatory chemicals.

In addition, people who acquire the disease are typically obese and are resistant to insulin, the hormone that removes sugar from the blood and stores it as energy.
    For years no one has known exactly how the three characteristics are related. But a handful of studies suggest that they are inextricably linked.
    New research from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Medicine adds clarity to the connection. The study published online April 10 in the journal Nature Immunology finds that saturated fatty acids but not the unsaturated type can activate immune cells to produce an inflammatory protein, called interleukin-1beta.
    "The cellular path that mediates fatty acid metabolism is also the one that causes interleukin-1beta production," says senior study co-author Jenny Y. Ting, PhD, William Kenan Rand Professor in the Department of Microbiology and Immunology.
    "Interleukin-1beta then acts on tissues and organs such as the liver, muscle and fat (adipose) to turn off their response to insulin, making them insulin resistant. As a result, activation of this pathway by fatty acid can lead to insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes symptoms." Ting is also a member of the UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, and the UNC Inflammatory Diseases Institute.

full report:
    Fatty acid-induced NLRP3-ASC inflammasome activation interferes with insulin signaling : Nature Immunology : Nature Publishing Group

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Peter at Hyperlipid clarifies what the actual issue is. Apparently you need to have both oleic acid (highly prevalent wherever there is palmitic acid in nature) in the blood stream at the same time or it causes an inflammatory cascade and pathological insulin resistance, but if you do (like you always do) then it doesn't. http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.c...ever-ends.html Obvious reductionism.

So put away those bricks of isolated palmitate!

edit: sorry wrong link.
    Last edited by Stabby; 04-26-2011 at 06:24 PM.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

rebecca1014 is offline Junior Member
    I felt great after reading the article that you wrote. What an awesome piece of information. I thank you for having shared with us the information on the topic and for having educat6ed us on the same.
    <a href="http://www.fivefinger-vibram.biz" title="Vibram Five Finger">Vibram Five Fingers</a>

rebecca1014 is offline Junior Member
    I am very interested in the way you said, I will try to make their own, what you said to me a lot. Have time to look at my store, thank you![url=http://www.fivefinger-vibram.biz Vibram FiveFingers

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    So put away those bricks of isolated palmitate!
    Crap...I had just bought a dozen on sale.

Anyway, in vitro studies tend to go over my head, but the in vivo portion of that study had the usual problems that crop up just about any time you see a high fat diet done on mice - that 5TJN rodent chow is chock full of Crisco (literally - the fat content is 30% name-brand hydrogenated vegetable oil). Yum! Not to mention all the casein...
    http://www.testdiet.com/PDF/5TJN.pdf
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Damnit, maybe they'll function as paper-weights. Or door-stops.

Another thing to note about high fat mouse-murder diets is that even if they are using good fats like olive oil, beef tallow or whatnot, if they don't also get omega 3 fats it is a deficient diet and they will become sick regardless of what fat you give them, although moreso with more omega 6.

Totally. It looks like the chow used in this study was 1.72% n-6 and 0.13% n-3. And all of Test Diets' concoctions have goodies like Crisco, soy, and corn oil. It's really frightening that they are using this to make assumptions about human nutrition.

The brick o' palmitate just made my documents greasy. Worst. Paperweight. Ever.

Oh noooooo. It's really hot out and my palmitate-stop melted, now there's a hole in my wall

Lousy palmitate... it gets ya every time.

Dear Book Store Cowboy, I apologize from hijacking your thread. Carry on. And don't put too much weight on this study. Palmitate may make a terrible doorstop/paperweight/cell bath, but there is little evidence of it being harmful in it's natural forms.

bookstorecowboy is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, interesting comments, and I love "mouse-murder diet."