Thread: StevexXx... Gets Primal! page

StevexXx is offline Junior Member

StevexXx... Gets Primal!

Shop Now
    I've been reading through the journals here and while I'm no stranger to keeping a journal thread, I thought it would be good to start one here as well to get feedback from the more experienced primal... ites. This is starting out as a 30 day experiment for myself to see what kind of differences it makes.

I have been eating mostly better the past couple of weeks. The weekends don't work out well (my fault) and Easter was a blowout! But really good ham. I don't have a big sweet tooth and while I do love good bread and pasta, I'm finding it's not a big deal to go without those if I step out of my head and don't over think the whole thing. I do love fresh fruit and veggies and I can devour some meat and seafood so that's never a problem. I do drink Shakeology most days and will likely continue that for a while. Breakfast is usually a shake made with Shakeology, fruit and almond milk. I am capable of being super-strict but the drawback is that I usually burn myself out eventually. So this time, I'm going to do the best I can and keep it as clean as I can without beating myself up over minor set-backs. One thing I've learned is that perfection is impossible and that kicking myself for slips doesn't lead in a positive direction.

Workouts recently have been P90X, although I admit to not being religious with them. I get bored easily and even though I do love the P90X workouts and they do work, I'm always looking for something different to do to keep the boredom at bay. That may work against me at times but it's how I am. I have been a little slack the past few days but my energy levels have been low and I'm not getting enough sleep.

I consider yesterday as my real start. I come from eating 5-6 meals a day so I'm still getting in some snacks. I started eating more naturally last week, instead of following a schedule and already notice that it isn't a nagging feeling like it was a week ago.

Primal Day 1 (yesterday)

Good start. Other than my shake, the only thing off plan was more of the Honey Baked ham from Sunday. I did remove as much of the glaze as possible. I had that with 3 eggs fried in bacon fat. Mmmmmm...

Not really any exercise yesterday. I was tired from lack of sleep and had a nagging headache. I did do a 1+ minute plank with my wife and a few burpees but the headache didn't care for that and quickly let me know.

Sunday was pretty awesome, other not eating all that well. I got out in the yard and actually played! I took off my shoes, which I never do, and passed football and frisbee with my daughter for a while. The grass under my feet felt great! I can't tell you the last time I did that. My son played with us for a bit and then decided it would be more fun to shoot us with water guns. It was fun and he got to cool us off.

So here we go. I've already learned lots from people here and I know I'll contiue learning.

Primal Day 2

Interesting day... My wife woke up with a migraine so I ended up working from home. I had an omelet with bacon and sausage and an apple for a late breakfast and my shake later in the day. Last night was another night of not getting to sleep till almost 1:00 am. If my wife can't sleep, she tends to fidget. If I'm falling alseep and get woken up, I have a hard time getting back to sleep. So I ended up worn out and with a headache of my own. I did get a nap in the late afternoon but it didn't seem to help much. I always crave something sweet after a nap so I had a banana and a HUGE strawberry and it seemed to work. I'm not sure what the sweet craving is about but it's kind of annoying cause if I'm not careful, I can pound some sweets. This evening was pork chops (mmmm... big, juicy, full fat, bone-in pork chop) and primal friendly fried apples. It was just apples fried in butter with cinnamon and about a Tbs of honey. Very good!

Hmmm... Come to think of it, I may be low on calories for the day. I'm a little hungry as I write this but it's not an urgent "I gotta eat NOW!" kind of hungry.

I didn't do much as far as exercise. I did do a set of burpees and a set of reverse-grip chin ups but the headache kicked back in. Oh well, I'll do what I can and increase as I feel up to it.

Off to bed. Hope to get better sleep tonight.

Primal Day 3

Another good day on the nutrition front, but the naggin headache is still with me. I'm wondering if this is part of dropping the carbs really low the past couple days. I'll just ride it out and see what happens.

Breatfast was an omelet with 3 eggs, sausage, bacon and ham. We had lunch provided for us today. My wife was the one who ordered it so she made sure there was salad and chicken breast. I had a big ass salad with greens, green pepper, tomatoes, cucumber, broccoli, chicken and bacon! I may have actually over-eaten on the salad. I did have some blue cheese dressing but only enough to give it a little extra flavor. There were ribs and mini burgers and really good choolate chip cookies but I left those alone. I know they are good cause I've had them before. Made with real butter and tons of chocolate chunks. Dinner was 3 eggs, bacon and sausage. Again, I have a slight gnawing sensation like I'm kinda hungry but not like I really need to eat. I love bacon and eggs but wonder if I'm overdoing them a bit. Other than that, I had another HUGE strawberry. I need more veggies with dinner.

No exercise today. My experience is that if I start a workout with a headache, it only gets worse, sometimes much worse. I don't deal well with headaches so I try not to make them worse. I do need to get out and do some slow moving at least, so I'll make sure that's on my to-do list for tomorrow. Maybe the best idea is to work on moving slowly this week and up it next week or as soon as the headache goes away. I really want to get back to the P90X workouts.

Bed time....

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Steve. Good idea to avoid burnout. Seems like you are on the right track overall.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Hi, Hedonist! Thanks for stopping by and for the welcome!

Primal Day 6

Ok, I've had a couple off meals the past couple of days. For some reason, my focus just wasn't with it. But again, not going to kick myself. I am just picking it back up and moving forward. No "exercise" today as far as a structured routine but I did work outside pretty much all day and that's the kind of workout that I prefer. I love being outside so I take whatever opportunities I can get. My posting will slack off some with the longer days and warmer weather but it's a lot more healthy than having my ass planted in front of a computer!

Observation - I have noticed some things about myself that are changing as I embrace this lifestyle more. They are simple things really but things I am taking notice of. I am going barefoot a lot more, both inside and outside. I used to wear shoes almost all the time but now I love being barefoot. My son eating with his fingers doesn't bother me as much (he's 7). Actually, I used to get on him at nearly every meal about using his fork or spoon or whatever. Now, it just seems more natural to me. This may seem rather odd, but I appreciate my dogs more. We have 4 large outdoor dogs and I am getting out and playing with them more. I just appreciate their ways, the way they move, the way they play, and I admit to being just a little jealous of them when I see them napping in the shade! lol I think it's more about being in tune with the natural state of things, rather than being caught up in the technology and fast-paced lifestyle. My life is still hectic and I still work with computers but at least now, I take notice of the way things should be more.

Enough babbling... I'm going to try to get to bed early. Sleep well all....

Primal Day eeehhh... 10

Things have been going very well this week! I've been sticking to the plan quite well, except maybe last night. We had turkey hotdogs (I didn't have a bun) and veggies. Close but I know the hotdogs had more than just turkey in them. I also had a little ketchup (less than a tablespoon). I don't consider it a huge slip but I will do better. It was one of those tired-and-caught-off-guard evenings.

I think my energy is still low from dropping the carbs. I made it through P90X plyo last night but it was rough! I had to take a few extra breaks but I got there! I really like that workout, even though I seem to curse a lot while I'm doing it. Some days it seems easier than others but I always feel some satisfaction when it's over.

Till next time....