Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Weightlifting: Squats, Deadlifts, and Benchpress page

CoconutMedic is offline Junior Member

New to Weightlifting: Squats, Deadlifts, and Benchpress

Bodyweight exercises have always been a challenge and a blast. I fell in love with Mark's Prison Workout seeing that the burpee is the king of all bodyweight exercise and the other exercises he recommended whipped me into shape in such a short time.

So now my physique is lean and it's time to build muscle with a bar and some iron weights.

The three exercises-- squats, deadlifts, and bench-- are they themselves twice a week enough to pack on some impressive and useful muscle? Your thoughts.

Conner P. is offline Senior Member
    A: Squat, Bench, Row
    B: Squat, shoulder press, deadlift

Alternate A and B days with at least 48hr of rest in between. So say one week Monday A, Wednesday B, Friday A. The next week do Monday B, Wednesday A, Friday B. Do everything for 5 sets of 5 (EXCEPT deadlift, which you only do 1 set of 5)

StrongLifts.com: Strength and Muscle Building Strategies without The Bull

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CoconutMedic View Post
    So now my physique is lean and it's time to build muscle with a bar and some iron weights.

The three exercises-- squats, deadlifts, and bench-- are they themselves twice a week enough to pack on some impressive and useful muscle? Your thoughts.
    Your ability to pack on muscle is more a function of your genetics than your workout protocol. Dips and chin ups are good upper body exercises.
    Last edited by js290; 04-26-2011 at 05:32 PM.

CoconutMedic is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by js290 View Post
    Your ability to pack on muscle is more a function of your genetics than your workout protocol. Dips and chin ups are good upper body exercises.
    Dips and chinups are a part of the routine so far. Weightlifting will build up whatever muscle possible at a faster rate then bodyweight exercise.

I will strongly consider the routine you posted, Conner, and will tack on HIIT sprinting twice a week to boot.

PrimalRFG is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Conner P. View Post
    A: Squat, Bench, Row
    B: Squat, shoulder press, deadlift

Alternate A and B days with at least 48hr of rest in between. So say one week Monday A, Wednesday B, Friday A. The next week do Monday B, Wednesday A, Friday B. Do everything for 5 sets of 5 (EXCEPT deadlift, which you only do 1 set of 5)

StrongLifts.com: Strength and Muscle Building Strategies without The Bull
    +1. Although, I would add pullups and dips to both days. That is pretty much the routine I'm on now: I'm adding muscle, losing fat and getting stronger.

Melody is offline Senior Member
    i started this program 3 weeks ago after crossfitting for 9 months. it seems to be working well http://70sbig.com/public_html/wp-con..._S&CP_v2.0.pdf

Invictus14 is offline Member
    I have found that over the years just going to the gym, starting with a basic work out, and learning what to do or not to do from the regulars has been a good technique. It is a good way to learn, and although I wouldn't say I go to the gym to socialize, I have made some good friends along the way. The muscle mass won't happen over night, but it will come as you continue to move heavy things around.
    "Most men stop when they begin to tire. Good men go until they think they will collapse. But the VERY BEST men know that the mind tires before the body and push themselves beyond all limits. Only when all of these limits have been shattered can the unattainable be reached." ~Dan Gable

erica057 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalRFG View Post
    +1. Although, I would add pullups and dips to both days. That is pretty much the routine I'm on now: I'm adding muscle, losing fat and getting stronger.
    I agree with this, when I did 5x5 that's exactly what I did, though I did push-ups instead of dips (either is fine) and also I did inverted rows instead of BBB rows.
    My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
    My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    Yes 2 days strength, 1 day sprints is enough.

Another alternative could be:

Day 1: Squats, Bench, Deadlift, Standing overhead press
    Day 2: Power clean and press, weighted dips, weighted pullups

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I also recommend weighted dip and chinups. They're working really well for me. I haven't done bench press in a long time. Who knows, maybe I'd get even better results if I incorporated it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast