Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DUH! Primal = eating LOTS OF FAT!!! page

OptionJedi is offline Member

DUH! Primal = eating LOTS OF FAT!!!

Primal Fuel
    I consider myself a fairly intelligent person. I read Mark's book and have crawled through alot of the forums here. Somehow, my CW programming conveniently had my mind read over all the material about eating more healthy fat, a higher percentage of calories from fat, and eating fat to help burn fat and it didn't register. In fact, I had the opposite response: "yeah right, this has got to be wrong, it' can't be true, it's too good to be true."

So, I did everything primal, exercise, cut out bad carbs, eat more protein... Sort of... I still felt "wrong" about eating fat. So I would eat the leaner meats. My wife still gave me a hard time about taking the skin off the chicken. I bought almonds from Trader Joes in small individual 35g/200cal bags so I woudn't eat "too much" fat. I have made progress. If you look at my journal (link in signature), things have been good. But the weight loss did plateau. I still thought FAT=BAD.

However, I started reading about the benefits of olive oil and how some people actually drank it for health reasons (burn fat, smooth skin, healthy hair, the list goes on...). In sort of a movie like flash back sequence in my brain, I recalled all the material from the book and the site about eating fat. This was about a week ago. All I have changed since then is take 2 tablespoons of EVOO in the morning with my coffee (which I've moved to half and half, still not heavy whipping cream yet). Eat the skin on the chicken, eat the fattier parts of meat, and fry my eggs in butter instead of spray on olive oil in the pan.

I've lost 2 lbs this week on that change alone... This is after like 4 weeks of staying at the same weight. And it actually feels awesome internally. I won't go into some of the bathroom benefits I've experienced but my skin is very moist and my hair does look healthier

Anyway, I have been missing out on one of major benefits and foundational premises of PB. All because of powerful CW programming in my mind causing me to not "see" what I was reading and to not "hear" what I was listening to. I'm going for the fat. I actually love fat (skin, marrow, gristle, cartilage, etc...). I think I've been programmed by society, friends, and family to feel GUILTY eating fat and that it was SOCIALLY UNACCEPTABLE AND STUPID to eat fat. Gotta eat low fat. No fat.

F*&(()& THAT!!!!

Long live the fat.

I'm gonna eat all the damn almonds I want!

Mandrake9072 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OptionJedi View Post
    I'm gonna eat all the damn almonds I want!
    Be careful. Almonds are *very* addicting (applies to nuts in general). I'd know since just last week I managed to eat 1 lb of almonds in two days. Only reason I stopped was because I ran out, otherwise I could've easily snarfed down another half pound no joke

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Probably better to eat all the macadamias you want. While we aren't against saturated fat or monounsaturated fats, it is bad to get too much linoleic acid (omega 6 fat). But yes ffs eat the fat, just the good fat preferentially. You can still eat almonds but try to minimize the omega 6 in your diet. Macadamias are a good compromise since they have little of it.

Heh, confusing, I know.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

You're right. I was just trying to liberate myself from the portion control perspective of eating fat.

Thanks Stabby. I'm actually down with that since I like macadamia nuts a whole lot more than almonds. They just cost more

MaBelle is offline Member
    great post...I've been lurking here for a few months & it really did take a while for that thought - EAT LOTS OF FAT - to really get through to me. and macadamias are awesome - I bought a 1.5lb bag of them at whole paycheck (you know, the bulk bins...I didn't know how much I was scooping out) and about tinkled myself when they rung up! /teasing
    Last edited by MaBelle; 04-26-2011 at 01:45 PM. Reason: word choice

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    I've noticed my tastes have changed since being primal, too. Fat used to turn my stomach. Now it doesn't bother me at all.

Polecatz is offline Senior Member
    I am on a high fat regime atm. Since I have been doing this low carb for a while I have gradually got over my fear of fats. When I first started I thought "okay, good fats are fine " but was still avoiding saturates eg still drinking skimmed milk and eating low fat yoghurt etc. Now I have decided to go the whole hog and take the leap into embracing all the animal fats. I must say I feel really good and have had no bad effects but it is early days with the eating saturates. I'm currently driving my best mate crazy with my obsession with gold top milk and she thinks its hilarious that I fried my eggs in goose fat. I thought that that would be so greasy and yuck but no, the eggs were nice and crispy, the whites all crisped up and the fat seemed to have evaporated and the eggs were not slimy as they are when you cook them in oil. They tasted as they should, kind of nicely old fashioned. I feel very decadent but I also feel instinctively that this is the right thing to do. I feel clean.

If you can get gold top milk try it, it is SUBLIME. (Its channel islands milk, the variety that has the most cream and its a lovely beige colour).

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    fat = fuel, plain and simple. Protein is not fuel. Not enough fat, no fuel, no energy.

I got over the whole fat phobia pretty darned quick

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OptionJedi View Post
    Thanks Stabby. I'm actually down with that since I like macadamia nuts a whole lot more than almonds. They just cost more
    Oh man, I'm currently addicted to macadamia butter. Need to order more, OM-NOM-NOM they're good.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast