Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question for primal Hindus/Indians about eating pork. page

Mandrake9072 is offline Junior Member

A question for primal Hindus/Indians about eating pork.

Shop Now
    I just wanted to introduce myself first. I'm a practicing Hindu and before going primal, I pretty much adhered to strict Hindu code by not eating beef or pork.

Now that I've gone Primal however, I'm starting to have doubts eating pork. I truly understand the respect for cow and the sacred position they hold in the Hindu sect and don't plan on eating beef. However, where do pigs fall? I've always been raised by my parents to not eat them, but after having done some research, I've found both stances on eating pigs. I was wondering if anyone on here could clarify? I do realize that certain Hindus are strictly vegetarian and some aren't so views are bound to vary.

I look forward to a respectful discussion. This may belong in Odds and Ends actually...

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    I really have no comment, not being a Hindu, but I do have a related question. Can you eat bison or is it classified in a similar way to a cow?

Best of luck with your quandry.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    At the age of 9 I realized that bacon was awesome. I was Jewish no more.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaisyEater View Post
    I really have no comment, not being a Hindu, but I do have a related question. Can you eat bison or is it classified in a similar way to a cow?

Best of luck with your quandry.
    I wonder the same, could you eat Buffalo or Bison? Because I’d gladly not eat cow if I could still eat the other two… probably better for you also due to lack of factory farmed bison/buffalo so you’re most likely to get grass fed/finished.

Sorry I’m of no help when it comes to Hindu stance on pork but if there’s no religious angle and it was mostly your parents saying no, why not do it?

Good question. To be honest, I don't know the exact answer but I assume since they fall in the same family (bovinea), it isn't okay. It really varies from person to person. That isn't to say that you're a bad hindu if you happen to eat beef or even meat for that matter. A matter of personal choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandrake9072 View Post
    Good question. To be honest, I don't know the exact answer but I assume since they fall in the same family (bovinea), it isn't okay. It really varies from person to person. That isn't to say that you're a bad hindu if you happen to eat beef or even meat for that matter. A matter of personal choice.
    I did a quick search on this topic and found some stuff on the web that basically says the cow is held sacred, but isn’t worshipped as a deity (at least not by all) but that it’s seen as a Mother figure due to all the gifts it provides (dairy products, ghee in the fore-front since it’s used in some rituals) so from THAT standpoint it would seem to me that eating bulls would be okay, same should apply for male bison/buffalo right?

Question of course is, how can you ever be sure it’s a male lest you slaughter it yourself …

Am I missing the mark completely?

Some interesting info on this site: Why Is the Cow Sacred? --Hindu dharma Aghanya- Beliefnet.com

I like to read, so here goes some quotes from the links above…

The cow is
    Aghanya
    --that which may not be slaughtered. It is true that later sects began to call the cow "the mother" and even wrote some dubious scripture to support this, but it was a rather childish transference of reverence from the mother to the cow because both provide milk! The "milk-debt" was culturally a very strong more, and it was felt that it would not be fair to leave the cow out of its share of respect for contributing to your health. Nevertheless, the cow was originally only Aghanya.
    This set of circumstances arose for many reasons. Strange as it may seem, the Vedic age was a beef-eating one, and animals were constantly being slaughtered. The reaction against flesh foods set in with the advent of Jainism and Buddhism, and a remarkable cultural revolution took place, in that, a predominantly flesh-eating country became a predominantly vegetarian one.b The many pastoral tribes that inhabited India could not afford to sacrifice their cow wealth for meat. In fact, that is the real reason it became Aghanya. The norms of the time dictated that you sacrifice your best animal, usually the stud bull, for the feast when a distinguished visitor came by. As these worthies multiplied in numbers, the quality of the herds began to decline. You could not escape this obligation, as substitution of another animal would be regarded as a deadly insult. To save animals thus marked out, as well as in deference to the new trends, the inviolability of the cow came into being.
    Those who are distressed by this revelation of beef eating ancestors ought to be more distressed at their ignorance about it. Swami Vivekananda loved to puncture ostentatious piety by declaring that his favorite section of the Vedas was the bit where five brahmanas used to sit down to feast and polish off a cow at one sitting! The literature about this is extensive, and there is no need to be squeamish about it.
    Eat up man, looks like Hindu-paleos got you covered.

kurite is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    At the age of 9 I realized that bacon was awesome. I was Jewish no more.
    Ha looks like Im not the only one who stopped being kosher for pork.

As for the original question, as far as I know the reason Jewish people don't eat pork is because they had parasites that are easily caught by humans and are life threatening at times. Anyway the reason I believe pork had so many parasites was because back in the day pigs were literally used as living garbage cans and unhealthy pigs = pigs full of parasites. So if you feed pigs on a natural healthy diet and fully cook it any parasite problems shouldn't be a problem. I realize this has nothing to do with Hindus but I figured they may have similar reasoning

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    I also come from a Hindu background, and have never heard of 'Hindu code' (what do you mean? manava dharma shastra?) not allowing people to eat pork before. But my belief is that most Hindu Indians don't eat pork simply because there are also a lot of Indian Muslims, who don't eat pork (and they actually don't eat beef as much as they do goat, lamb, etc., except in places like Goa and Kerala which have a large Christian influence and don't have as much religious tension as the rest of India), and there would be way more religious violence than there already is if Hindus ate pork regularly (and Muslims ate beef regularly). So there's no religious reason for you to not eat pork.

But there is no religious reason for you to not eat beef or bison either. As IniQuity pointed out, the people who we now think of as Hindus used to eat beef. Can you actually point me to anything in the Vedas or the Upanishads that says that Hindus should not eat beef? 'Hindus' as a group stopped eating beef not because their beliefs suddenly changed, but because of economic necessity, and this still holds today--many farmers in the labor-intensive agriculture of India would be sh*t out of luck without some bulls to plow them rice fields. And besides, some Hindu groups have always continued to eat beef, such as those in Kerala--where, again, there is lots of religious diversity, which lessens some of the food taboos. Because the belief that eating beef makes you less pure somehow is just that, a superstition.

You're missing out on crucial vitamins and fats. If you're not ready to eat beef yet, though, at least eat lots of lamb and goat.

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by imasin View Post
    I also come from a Hindu background, and have never heard of 'Hindu code' (what do you mean? manava dharma shastra?) not allowing people to eat pork before. But my belief is that most Hindu Indians don't eat pork simply because there are also a lot of Indian Muslims, who don't eat pork (and they actually don't eat beef as much as they do goat, lamb, etc., except in places like Goa and Kerala which have a large Christian influence and don't have as much religious tension as the rest of India), and there would be way more religious violence than there already is if Hindus ate pork regularly (and Muslims ate beef regularly). So there's no religious reason for you to not eat pork.

But there is no religious reason for you to not eat beef or bison either. As IniQuity pointed out, the people who we now think of as Hindus used to eat beef. Can you actually point me to anything in the Vedas or the Upanishads that says that Hindus should not eat beef? 'Hindus' as a group stopped eating beef not because their beliefs suddenly changed, but because of economic necessity, and this still holds today--many farmers in the labor-intensive agriculture of India would be sh*t out of luck without some bulls to plow them rice fields. And besides, some Hindu groups have always continued to eat beef, such as those in Kerala--where, again, there is lots of religious diversity, which lessens some of the food taboos. Because the belief that eating beef makes you less pure somehow is just that, a superstition.

You're missing out on crucial vitamins and fats. If you're not ready to eat beef yet, though, at least eat lots of lamb and goat.
    Thanks for a detailed reply. Exactly the information I was trying to find!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast