Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So... what happens when you don't eat primal? page

Qwerty is offline Junior Member

So... what happens when you don't eat primal?

Primal Fuel
    My husband and I just completed a 30 day no sugar challenge with the idea that we'd see what would happen, maybe we'd go back to our regular way of eating, maybe not. We've decided to stick with the PB. Anyway, last weekend we had a day where we had to go 2 1/2 hours out of town for one day. We brought snacks and thought we'd be able to just get by on whatever veggies were going to be around, eat whatever meat we could, etc. Turns out the only food available to us was crappy, sugary, grainy, typical junk. I decided, because I was hungry and crabby, to just go with it - one day wasn't going to kill me. OR WAS IT?? Because the next day and the day after I had some... digestive issues to be delicate. Is this was gluten/sugar/grain/whatever intolerance is like? Is this others' experience as well? Does gluten give you the shits or what? I want to know, I don't really want to experiment with it again. That wasn't... pleasant.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Yup. Low carb diets followed by tons of carbs throws off blood sugar. And grains after grain abstinence triggers a potent "hey you stop poisoning me!" signal from the gut. The perfect storm!

Now you know
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

ELCO14 is offline Senior Member
    You start your body back to homeostasis, just a small amount of that crap can wreck your digestion. Some people have a bigger tolerance and others can have the smallest amount and be done in.

I spent the past 6 days in Negril avoiding most grains except a few small pasta sides and my digestion was in chaos.
    Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Qwerty is offline Junior Member
    Homeostasis? What is this homeostasis?

I felt honestly like I was hungover for two days. And prior to this, I was an iron-gut - nothing ever really effected me too badly. If I didn't feel so freaking awesome eating primal, I'd curse myself for doing this. But now I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    Homeostasis? What is this homeostasis?

I felt honestly like I was hungover for two days. And prior to this, I was an iron-gut - nothing ever really effected me too badly. If I didn't feel so freaking awesome eating primal, I'd curse myself for doing this. But now I know.
    It is exactly like a hangover for me. Heart palpitations, sweating, GI issues, bloating. It's awful. Blech.

ErinC is offline Senior Member
    I'm the same as you, Qwerty - a former iron-gut-turned-digestive-sissy. It's kind of amazing to see how we managed to down-regulate our response to grains all those years... Kind of a forehead-slapper to realize this late in life that that crap's utter poison. But, to your original topic, I'd call it a normal reaction for sure - not to mention a red alert to stick with Primal whenever possible! It's taken me 4 days to recover from Easter dinner... *merf*

lorilr is offline Junior Member
    I've been sort of wondering this myself. After a month with no grains or sugar I ate Easter dinner at the in-laws: large biscuits (the kind out of the can) and large piece of sugary birthday cake. My m-i-l knows my husband and I eat a lot so she piled it on. I waited on something to happen but nothing did. Then came Monday. GI upset and insatiable thirst. Midway through the day I remembered the biscuit and cake.

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    Grains definitely give me *ahem* digestive issues.

I'm pretty sure they always have done, it's just I didn't notice until my digestion was actually working most of the time. :P

gojirama is offline Senior Member
    I just spent my first month paleo- then ate grains on Easter and had the runs on Monday. Yep.

Juliemama is offline Senior Member
    I never had digestive issues either...the only time I ever experienced heartburn was when I was pregnant and I was like "what is this?"..lol but now if I eat grains, (Easter was my birthday..and I gave myself a free ride) I blow up like a tick and look 6 months pregnant. No joke.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast