Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worried about low carbs/high meat page

HERC0 is offline Member

Worried about low carbs/high meat

Shop Now
    I recently watched a documentary (can be found here if you're interested) which I understand is undoubtedly flawed by conventional wisdom, but it still caused me to worry. In the documentary a number of overweight UK celebrities went on different diets from across the world, and although the woman who went on the "American Low Carb Diet" (doesn't say if this is Atkins, South Beach) lost the most weight, a nutritionist said it was not sustainable as it was the most detrimental to health by raising her bad cholesterol (apparently due to the high amount of meat she was eating) and giving her mood swings, decreasing her ability to concentrate etc. As far as I could tell she still ate plenty fruit, salads and meat, but cut out bread, pasta, and other high-carb grain-based food.

How does eating Primally differ to other low carb diets in terms of what is actually eaten, and why is eating Primally sustainable whereas the low-carb diet (which seems similar going by the meat/fruit/veg foods she was eating) carried out by the woman on the documentary is said not to be?

Many Thanks

aktres is offline Senior Member
    The answers to your questions can be found here:

Primal Blueprint 101 | Mark's Daily Apple

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    On a hunch, I'll bet she didn't eat enough fat AND/OR they didn't follow her long enough after "low carb flu".

From what I see around teh interwebz, "low carb" can mean any combination of frankenfoods you like, with fake cake, fake bread, sugar alcohols, mmmmm. Whereas primal/paleo/etc shitfts focus instead onto whole, real food - animals and vegetables. Primal =/= low carb. You can chow down on sweet potatoes if that's your thing.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    It might no be sustainable to some slack jawed, dumbass doctor. But, apparently, there are a shit load of us that do it for a really long time - like the rest of our lives.
    And sometimes your LDL will go up. But guess what? So does your HDL (usually moreso). Read http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread4723.html in which Griff *explains* why just the number means practically nothing.
    And, as NMG said, they probably didn't follow her long enough. It not only takes awhile to destroy your body but it takes awhile to heal it as well.
    AND (so many ands) this is not just a low carb diet. We actually pay attention to the nutritional content of what we eat, relate it to what our ancestors would have had available more than 10,000 years ago and pretty much change our lifestyles to not get all caught up in the crap that CW expects us to (stressors).
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    If you haven't done so already, I highly recommend you read the book.

Ideal Peace is offline Senior Member
    Also even if you're LDL goes up, HDL is a better indicator of you're of you're health. The Carb-Flu can also continue if you eat too much fruit or constantly go back and forth between ketosis and 100-150g of carbs.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Sounds they're still relying on the CW belief that dietary saturated fat & cholesterol lead to high serum cholesterol which leads to coronary heart disease. This is pretty much accepted as truth in the medical field though there have never been any good studies tying all three together. However, there is some pretty compelling evidence that carbs, especially refined carbs & sugar, affect both these things.

If you read Gary Taubes Good Calories, Bad Calories he goes into great detail about the history of the research behind the lipid hypothesis of heart disease. Basically, the books were cooked and the US government used this data as the basis for launching what amounted to a huge experiment with our health. Once it became the sanctified word of the USDA and AHA, there was no competing with it. Anyone that didn't toe the line didn't get grants and didn't get published.

If you don't feel like slogging through that much detail, the documentary FatHead boils down the major points pretty nicely.

Stabby is online now Senior Member
    Oh noes! Not LDL cholesterol. The stuff that we make out of fat to heal our cells. The horror!

Basic physiology demonstrates the lipid hypothesis to be bs. If you eat fat and make cholesterol, it's because you need it. Thousands of examples of people on high saturated fat diets with low LDL cholesterol (because their bodies aren't being damaged and are in good shape) shows that it doesn't even get past the starting gate.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

eelnus is offline Senior Member
    I also recommend watching the movie Fathead. If you have netflix, its free.

But I second the lack of fat. Some Low carbers still are under the mindset that fat is bad. They eat lean meats and veggies and fruits. Fat makes you happy.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    I think it's free on the hulu link I posted above.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast