Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shrimp and Crab

Shrimp and Crab

Shop Now
    Are shrimp and crab acceptable as "fish" to get more Omega 3?

Acceptable? Sure. You'd have to eat a lot, compared to salmon - check out this list

Salmon (4 oz serving) 2.09 grams Omega 3
    Shrimp (4 oz serving) 0.37 grams Omega 3
    Crab Meat (3 oz serving) 0.38 grams Omega 3

Of course, salmon is really high on the list.

You make a good point. I'm tired of tuna salad and about the only other fish I'll eat is shellfish. Love lobster but its pricey. I do take omega 3 fish oil gelcaps, hope that makes up for the absence of eating real fish. Thanks

All fish and seafood are great. Go for the litte guys though - less mercury. Salmon, Tuna, Halibut, Mahi Mahi, etc.

Go easy on Shark

Shrimp and crab are great. They are full of protein - a win. The fat they have is pretty much all omega 3.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

According to Carlh's numbers above, I'd have to eat a lot of them to equal a 4 oz serving of Salmon. About the only other fish I eat is the heavily battered, deep fried "fish chunks" they serve at a local restaurant. More batter than fish. Crusty battered fried fish I might eat but we're doing low carb here and that's against the rules. I did read something about smashing up pork rinds and using them as batter. Thanks for help.

It's hard for me to eat Shrimp (not a natural shellfish eater) without the cocktail sauce (which is 12g of carbs for the ones included inside the Wal-Mart packages that is enough to last a pound).

Quote Originally Posted by Ideal Peace View Post
    It's hard for me to eat Shrimp (not a natural shellfish eater) without the cocktail sauce (which is 12g of carbs for the ones included inside the Wal-Mart packages that is enough to last a pound).
    I just melt butter in a cup and use that to dip them in. IT'S ONE OF MY FAVORITE MEALS!!!!!
    RLTW

Quote Originally Posted by beaver View Post
    I just melt butter in a cup and use that to dip them in. IT'S ONE OF MY FAVORITE MEALS!!!!!
    Works for me! Still, my primary reason was to eat enough at a meal so I didn't have to eat other fish. It appears shrimp doesn't have a huge amount of Omega 3.

Mmmmmmmmmm! I love shrimp, it's definitely in my top three favorite proteins! In fact tonight I'm making a Shrimp stirfry for supper!

I've made a more primal cocktail sauce. Horseradish, tomato paste, worchestershire and lemon. I love dipping shrimp in garlic butter, but my favorite is dipping it in hollandaise. SO GOOD!!!
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Shop Now
    shrimp with garlic scapes is amaaaazing