Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frog Legs page

Bunnyfoot is offline Member

Frog Legs

Primal Fuel
    There is something wrong with me...I have never eaten them but suddenly have this desire to go tromping through swamps in the middle of the night with a flashlight and spear. I must be seriously hungry if I am having cravings for BBQ leopard frog.

Anyone had frog legs straight from the swamp?
    How do you clean them?
    What are your tips for cooking them?

We also have a serious squirrel infestation...never trapped, cleaned and ate one of those either. But man are they fat around here...

Why is everything starting to look like food?

Thunderchild is offline Member
    Have had both! But, I bought mine from the market. I like them(frogs legs)... fried! But great anyway. You can cook squirrel just like a rabbit. Put it in a slow cooker/crock pot and let it cook. Onions, garlic, salt, black pepper and a little curry powder. You can throw in some carrots also with the squirrel. My parents are from Kentucky so that is how I learned about all of this.

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderchild View Post
    Have had both! But, I bought mine from the market. I like them(frogs legs)... fried! But great anyway. You can cook squirrel just like a rabbit. Put it in a slow cooker/crock pot and let it cook. Onions, garlic, salt, black pepper and a little curry powder. you can throw in some carrots also with the squirrel. My parents are from Kentucky so that is how I learned about all of this.
    12 posts and I like you already. Now, where can I get a squirrel....
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Actually some farmers markets sell them. I don't know where you live but Google "squirrel meat" and you should find some farms or butchers that sell it. There is a butcher near me in Eastern Market in DC that sells all types of fowl and he has rabbits. I get one from time to time. My wife won't touch it. More for me. Use a red wine in the crock pot and when you are done you take the meat out and make a great red wine gravy!! Of course the gravy is not paleo but from time to time it can't hurt!

Thanks for the tip. Here in S. AZ we have no trees let alone squirrels. Rabbit I can probably get though, and red wine gravy sounds fantastic.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

Now I am going out on a limb but don't you all have ground squirrels out there? Same thing but you don't have to aim so high!!

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderchild View Post
    Now I am going out on a limb but don't you all have ground squirrels out there? Same thing but you don't have to aim so high!!

Hmm...I haven't seen any, but I'll ask around. Thanks

Edit...a quick google search shows that indeed we do. Apparently I need to work on my observation skills

Glad I could be of assistance!

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunnyfoot View Post
    There is something wrong with me...I have never eaten them but suddenly have this desire to go tromping through swamps in the middle of the night with a flashlight and spear. I must be seriously hungry if I am having cravings for BBQ leopard frog.

Anyone had frog legs straight from the swamp?
    How do you clean them?
    What are your tips for cooking them?

We also have a serious squirrel infestation...never trapped, cleaned and ate one of those either. But man are they fat around here...

Why is everything starting to look like food?
    If you do trap the squirrels DO NOT eat the brains. Apparently many have "mad squirrel disease." As for frog legs, I love them, just made them a few weeks ago. I've never cleaned them but following is how I like them cooked.

2-3 eggs, depending on how many legs you have
    heavy whipping cream (just a bit, I never measure)
    pork rinds
    oregano
    paprika
    garlic powder
    onion powder
    fresh ground black pepper
    lard (for cooking)

Beat the eggs with HWC and toss the frog legs in the mixture. Leave them to soak while preparing the breading. Heat the lard in a frying pan on medium. Throw the pork rinds and all of the spices (again, I never measure so do it to taste) in a food processor and blend until a fine crumb is formed. Dump the dry breading into a large bowl or bag (think shake and bake) and either shake or mix until well covered. You may have to do this in batches, in which case just set the breaded ones aside while coating the others. Fry the frog legs, turning halfway through. Enjoy.

Bunnyfoot is offline Member
    You know what sucks? Can't find pork rinds at any of my local stops. I think they have been deemed "unhealthy" and therefor dropped from the shelves. I remember my dad eating them when I was a kid and would sneak them from time to time. Now I actually get cravings for them and can't find them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast