Thread: Partially processed fish foods and budget question page

Edje Noh is offline Senior Member

Question Partially processed fish foods and budget question

Primal Fuel
    Hey all,

I made it a habit to eat fish for 3-5 servings a week. I like to buy different fish to add in variety. As the fish in the organic food store is highly expensive, I try to get the best stuff I can within budget from the somewhat better grocery store. They have some good stuff, like herring and mackerel. They also offer the following fish food at a decent price (and pretty good proteine content):
    Hake and Alaska Pollack. However, they've layered the fish over with some processed shit, mainly the omega-6 oils and sugary stuff like dextrose, to make the food taste better. I have to admit, it does taste good, but it also racks up the carb content of these foods.
    Here are some pictures of the stuff:

Since these products have a decent price and a pretty good protein content, I still get them along with the herring, mackerel and salmon. What do you guys think?
    Does this fit within a primal/paleo diet as a sensible endulgence or should it be avoided completely?
    Last edited by Edje Noh; 04-26-2011 at 07:41 AM.

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    I'm pretty new at this so take that for what it's worth, but I wouldn't touch those even with somebody else's fork. That coating probably has flour, bread crumbs and/or MSG at the very least and then fried or baked with mystery oil.

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    I would agree that you should avoid the breaded fish products. Oftentimes the volume of the breading is equal to or larger than the volume of the fish. Similar to eating a burger (which is fine) on a bun (which is not fine). While fish are healthy for their omega 3 content, most lean fish contain under a gram and the negatives of wheat or other flour-breading is going to outweigh the positives of the fish. I would personally rather eat conventional pork or chicken than breaded fish and then take a sip of fish oil.

randallfloyd is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandadude View Post
    I would personally rather eat conventional pork or chicken than breaded fish and then take a sip of fish oil.
    I'm wondering, for someone who does eat conventional beef, chicken and pork, is it important when we take a fish oil tablet? Is it better to take it along with the pork chop?

I often have my tablets in the morning then the pork at night. Should I take them together?

p.s. sorry for hijacking the thread

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    Edje, I might go for the stuff in the 3rd photo, but not the other stuff - too much garbage on it.

Randall, what research I have done on the fish oil/omega 3:6 issue has led me to just eat canned salmon once a day - it is much better at giving a better omega 3:6 balance.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

It's about 75 to 85 % fish, the rest is a mix of wheat, dextrose, bad vegetable oil and god knows what else.
    I guess I'll stay away from it from this point forward.
    The third picture also has processed shit on it, glucose fructose corn syrup, so I considered it in the same camp.
    I think I'm going to have to find a new source of fish products or eat more of the same (herring, mackerel, shrimp and salmon).
    I think it really sucks that they do this shit, because it would've been quality fish without all the additives. Maybe I'm going to send in a complaint in the store :P

Sassy is offline Senior Member
    JKC - that's an approach I haven't heard before. How much canned salmon to you eat each day? A whole can? I couple forkfuls?
    Sassy: Revised - my primal log

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Total junk.

Kippers, sardines, tuna, and canned salmon are all better options. Choose a variety that isn't packed in soybean oil.

Doesn't your grocery carry bags of frozen, wild fish fillets (not flavored or breaded) that you can cook at home? Some come vaccuum-packed in single-serving sizes. They're super-convenient and inexpensive.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I haven't checked the frozen section, I assumed it was all garbage. I'll check if they offer unprocessed fish there, thanks for the tip.