Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting my first VFFs for Mothers day - what style is best? page

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member

Getting my first VFFs for Mothers day - what style is best?

Primal Fuel
    I live where it is pretty cold, and I usually wear runners til in gets to be -20 or so. I also wear them most of the time thru the summer til it is warm enough to wear sandals, although if the VFFs were cool enough to wear then, I would do that instead, I think. I mostly wear them running around, but not over hilly or rough terrain, just normal city wear.

Any suggestions on the best style for me?
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    You wouldn't wear VFFs over hilly or rough terrain? What do you consider rough? I was just climbing around under an overpass embankment of gravely concrete on the edge of a stream. They're brilliant for rough and hilly terrain.

thyme is offline Member
    this is totally not what you asked, but I just got a pair of the Merrell Women's Barefoot Pace Glove and I love love love love love them. They're big enough and flex enough & flat enough to feel barefoot indeed, but no odd toe thing going on to put them on. If you can get to a sporting good store to try on the VFFs & the Merrell's, try 'em.
    (edited to add: They are Vibram soled, if that matters.)

CoyoteVick is offline Senior Member
    I just got the KSO's, and they are fantastic, the only thing I would say is that they are not insulative at all. But they have a great thin sole that really mimics barefoot walking. But your feet will get cold and wet if it's cold or wet out.

I've only ever had the experience of KSO's though. I would think that the thicker soled ones would have more insulation, but they would also be less "barefoot". It's a toss up on how much insulation you want versus how much barefoot experience you want.

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Off the top of my head, I believe that the Classics and Sprints have 3mm soles, the KSOs 5mm, the Treks 7mm, and the Bikilas and Speeds 10mm. I'd go with leather. They won't start to stink as quickly and they will last longer. Warmer, too. They do cost more, though. The Merrells mentioned above have 7mm soles. I prefer them over VFFs, but they don't have that dorky cachet.

Gordo

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteVick View Post
    I just got the KSO's, and they are fantastic, the only thing I would say is that they are not insulative at all. But they have a great thin sole that really mimics barefoot walking. But your feet will get cold and wet if it's cold or wet out.

I've only ever had the experience of KSO's though. I would think that the thicker soled ones would have more insulation, but they would also be less "barefoot". It's a toss up on how much insulation you want versus how much barefoot experience you want.
    I have the KSOs as well. I bought them specifically because I walk in creek beds and want to "keep stuff out". I've not had any others but I'm considering a different style, sprints perhaps, for everyday wear. I don't imagine they'd be very good for particularly cold weather but I prefer a thinner sole for climbing around on rocks as they let my feet grip better. I was walking on an unpaved road of just rock and had to step lightly in case there was anything pointed up, but I've found that it becomes natural to do so.

CoyoteVick is offline Senior Member
    the only issue I have with the KSO's that I think the sprints or classics might fix are how difficult they are to put on. Luckily my toes are very agile, and I can spread them, otherwise it would be very frustrating. I'm used to wearing rope sandals, or going barefoot though, and so it is a bit frustrating to have to take a few minutes to put on shoes. Also, I have a very tall foot, and so I can get a red spot where they press on the top of my foot, but I think they stay on better than the sprints or classics. So, it's an effect that I'm willing to take.

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    I love my Bilkas.... considering getting another pair for just kicking around...though now that its getting warm I've been wearing my vivobarefoot -kali's every where now that my feet aren't cold!

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteVick View Post
    the only issue I have with the KSO's that I think the sprints or classics might fix are how difficult they are to put on. Luckily my toes are very agile, and I can spread them, otherwise it would be very frustrating. I'm used to wearing rope sandals, or going barefoot though, and so it is a bit frustrating to have to take a few minutes to put on shoes. Also, I have a very tall foot, and so I can get a red spot where they press on the top of my foot, but I think they stay on better than the sprints or classics. So, it's an effect that I'm willing to take.
    Yes, I noticed the difficulty in putting them on as well, which is why I'm considering another style for just kicking around. I guess my toes are pretty agile as well, although I do end up with them in the wrong toe on occasion. But I prefer the look of an open top for general use. If I'm out in the woods though there's a good chance I'll end up in the creek so I like them for that. I was canoeing on Sunday and hopping out and pulling onto the shore was great, no pebbles in them. I did sink up to mid-calf another time and that was bad, as mud will get in them and taking them off and then back on is a pain when they're wet, but they rinse right out.

Goldsmith is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I love my KSOs, however, I live in Texas and while they are fine for most of the year... they do not cut it in the few months of cold weather we get here. If you live in a cold climate I would look into the models with more insulation. I went on a couple of runs last December and I could not feel my feet after about 5 minutes... it was miserable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast