Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Angie's Adrenal Adventure-- The Good, Bad, and Ugly page 4

Angieh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    Angie...I'm confused. Am I reading this right: Your doctor had you on synthroid, got you back into normal ranges, and then took you off?

That doesn't conform to what I know of thyroid conditions. I've been on synthroid since 2002. I do not expect to ever be off it, no matter how primal/paleo I get. Once the thyroid stops doing what it's supposed to be, it does not recover, no matter how much sleep, food, or rest you get.

Did your doctor indicate she/he thought this was a temporary situation, or are you diagnosed with hypothyroid? Because many of your symptoms (exhaustion, loss of strength, etc.) really sound like someone suffering from hypothyroid, and you NEED some sort of hormone replacement, period.

Sorry if I am misreading what you've said, but I'm alarmed that your doctor put you on synthroid and took you off again. Please feel free to correct me if I'm totally off base.
    Hi, unfortunately, the doctor who diagnosed me with hypothryoid (a very good ob/gyn who had completed the integrative studies program of Dr. Weil's) is no longer my doctor. Sadly I only saw her 3x, and then she left for greener pastures. I believe this was 3 years ago or so. She told me I was subclinical hypothyroid, meaning I was very symptomatic but numbers were all in the "normal" range. At that time my TSH was 2.7. She had me on the lowest dose (.025? I think) of synthroid. I never really felt better but took that for about 1.5 years. When the script ran out (she had moved by this point), my GP tested me and declared me normal (incidentally TSH has risen to 3.3). She would have let me stay on the synthroid, but I think I told her I really had not seen improvement on it anyway. So I went off. The doctor (the good one) I believe was just scratching the surface of my problems when she moved, so here I am.

Last visit with my GP I told her I really think I have hypothyroid despite normal lab ranges. She told me she would refer me to an endo because she is not too well versed in thyroid issues. However, I have heard absolute horror stories about finding an endo who is well versed in all of this though that is their specialty. My husband is a type 1 diabetic and drives 2 hours to his endo because he does not care for any in our area. I do have the option of seeing him (and he is good!), but he is a renowned in treated diabetes and specializes in type 1. I may make an appt with him, but I don't know how far it would get me with the thyroid/adrenal issues.

I realize all this sounds kind of crazy. I do believe I am hypo and believe I have pretty severe adrenal fatigue (and also believe that they are connected). I am just at a crossroads and am trying to find my way to good treatment (and diagnosis) of my problems. Honestly, I've only recently begun reading all of these books (and forums) and educating myself because this year I have felt so unwell so much of the time.

Maybe you are right that I need to get back on the synthroid WHILE I am figuring all this out and then go from there. Thanks so much for your response and ideas.
    Last edited by Angieh; 05-14-2011 at 01:54 PM.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Yikes. Yeah. This sounds like a mess and I'm sorry you're having to deal with it. (But at least you're dealing with it!)

The synthroid does take time to "kick in" (about two months for me), and in my case my doc had to up my dosage. It is one of those things where you have to monitor it closely -- I get blood tests every 6 months.

I know many of the hypothyroid peeps on these forums don't take synthroid. I'm on it and doing fine, but you may not (this is assuming your diagnosis IS hypothyroidism).

I guess I just want to stress that my research indicates you cannot "fix" a thyroid once it goes hypo. Also, I hope you feel better sooner. In my opinion, you're doing the right thing diet and lifestyle-wise. It took me years to find out that the gluten is probably what caused my thyroid to die in the first place, but now that I have I feel much, much better.

Good luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    Yikes. Yeah. This sounds like a mess and I'm sorry you're having to deal with it. (But at least you're dealing with it!)

The synthroid does take time to "kick in" (about two months for me), and in my case my doc had to up my dosage. It is one of those things where you have to monitor it closely -- I get blood tests every 6 months.

I know many of the hypothyroid peeps on these forums don't take synthroid. I'm on it and doing fine, but you may not (this is assuming your diagnosis IS hypothyroidism).

I guess I just want to stress that my research indicates you cannot "fix" a thyroid once it goes hypo. Also, I hope you feel better sooner. In my opinion, you're doing the right thing diet and lifestyle-wise. It took me years to find out that the gluten is probably what caused my thyroid to die in the first place, but now that I have I feel much, much better.

Good luck to you.
    Thanks so much! I actually was on the synthroid long enough for it to take effect (over a year actually), but as my doctor (the good one) left soon after I never really had the follow up testing and adjustments to dosage that I was supposed to have. I really didn't understand what I was dealing with and just let it go. In hindsight, if I had had the follow up testing and adjustments to the synthroid dose maybe I would have felt better. Who knows? But, yes, I'm determined to get myself sorted out now.

I know I can feel better. And, I'm going to make it happen. And, I'm determined to find a medical practitioner to help me on this journey. In the meantime, it sure as hell helps to discuss the issues here at MDA with others who have had similar experiences. I'm so grateful this group exists! And speaking of grateful, I can't imagine how much worse I would be feeling (and bigger I would be) if I were still eating gluten, sugar, etc, etc. Yeah, MDA!!
    Last edited by Angieh; 05-15-2011 at 09:05 AM.

Just finished playing in the dirt... man, digging and planting and pulling are therapeutic!! It's gorgeous out, so I got a dose of vit d too.

Sleep - 8 hours!!!!!!! Just finished Jacob Teitelbaum's From Fatigue to Fantastic. His sleep chapter -- wow!
    B- 1 cup coffee (reg) with coconut milk (dollop) and splash of evil creamer I bought a long time ago. 2 eggs over easy, 1 very large patty of venison sausage. Very satisfying start to day.
    S- handful - maybe 1/4 c. almonds
    L- none (late breakfast)
    D- TBA ... I hope my husband is going to cook the grassfed sirloin I thawed out (or we'll have it tomorrow). I have salad ingredients, broccoli, and asparagus, so lots of veg options -- getting hungry, so I'm going to figure it out and will post later.

-Dragged a little today - felt really whipped after planting each area of the flower bed (I did three). Also experienced pretty intense dizziness when I would stand up after planting - not a good feeling!
    -Productive and good day, though, overall!

Did not sleep well last night - Woke around 4 am and couldn't go back to sleep. Ah... SOL stress, which is ALMOST OVER -- YEEEESSS! Standardized testing sucks.

B- coffee with coconut milk and splash evil creamer
    L- homemade chicken salad with walnuts, organic pickles, 2 hardboiled eggs - sounds weird but was GOOD!
    D- leftover butternut squash, one grassfed butter, large helping of asparagus
    S- almonds and macademias - few too many but not bad
    S- yes, I had two - greek yogurt fresh strawberries
    before bed - handful (tablespoon maybe) choc chips
    No exercise.

Um... kinda made a big mistake by coming home from school and eating an ENTIRE bag of dried cherries from Trader Joe's. Yup. Belly ache and rumblings don't bode well. Honestly have no appetite for dinner. I had close to 200 carbs of dried cherries...WTH??!!!!!

Excuse and Justifications

Wow... those cherries messed me up last night. Phew. Lesson learned.

Today
    Sleep- only 6 or less last night - 2 nights of poor sleep. The good thing is that tomorrow we have state testing - actually for the next 5 school days. I plan to get lots of sleep! Less stress means better sleep for me! Of course I still have to be at school proctoring tests and grading research papers, but I don't have to teach, so it is a break. We are in the home stretch now... Just about two weeks left after the testing ends!
    B- coffee with coconut milk and evil creamer, 3 eggs, over easy in bacon drippings, venison sausage
    L- umm... not good. Our principal bought us lunch which was a turkey wrap, lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, olives, mayo. NOT primal.
    S- 1/4. cup macademia nuts, tablespoon chocolate chips.
    D- **not yet consumed - likely chicken and some sort of veg

As I type this, it's plainly obvious that I haven't been eating very primally lately. It started with the coffee creamer, which I can't even explain why I bought in the first place. It's been in the fridge for at least a month, unopened, and I keep thinking that I will take it to work for the coffee drinkers. Yet, secretly I suppose I wanted to keep it, for an "emergency" when I just really wanted a "treat." In a moment of exhaustion last week (which is when my willpower is shot to hell), I opened it, and I've had a splash in my coffee every day since (4-5 days now). And I've had a few too many chocolate chips lately too. They've become a daily snack, not a once in a while treat. The cherries yesterday were mindless eating. It was like I was unaware of how many I was eating until I'd polished off the whole bag. My husband even commented that it wasn't like me at all to polish off something like that. Ah, well. And the wrap today? Well, that was just a pure moment of weakness... kind of a hell, I've already had evil creamer and lots of chocolate this week, might as well have some gluten!

What's up with all these cheats? Yes, I'm tired (that's my theme, remember?). And, yeah, the rest of my food's been pretty primal. Yep, I could chalk the creamer and extra chocolate chips and wrap up to my 20%. But, here's the thing. There's just no need to make excuses. I don't need the cheats. They aren't all that good anyway. Eating them is not doing anything to help make me feel better, less fatigued, etc., which is what I'm committed to, right?

I'm not going to beat myself up over my slips, but here is what I'm going to do. That creamer is going with me to school tomorrow. It's at least half full still, and someone will use it in their coffee. I don't feel guilty giving it to others because it can't be any worse than the powdered "Creamora" they use (hmm... which frankenfood is worse - liquid or powdered fake creamer??). The chocolate chips... I'll keep them, but I need to go back to having a few once or twice a week. Not daily.

Ok, I feel better now that I have a plan in place to regain some control. Sometimes it's just a slippery slope, and I know for me it's VERY connected to being tired. Good sleep is paramount for me and must be a priority EVERY single day.

That said, I'm going to go straighten the house and garden a bit, so I can make my bedtime.
    Last edited by Angieh; 05-18-2011 at 01:59 PM.

Kind of forgot to post the last couple of days, so here's an update.

-I did get rid of the evil coffee creamer... yes! I'm back to having a dollop of coconut milk in my cup of coffee.
    -have been doing an hour or two of gardening every day - that's been my exercise. Not much, I know, but BTN (better than nuthin')
    -just ordered more Natural Calm and Ashawaganda. Anxiously awaiting my saliva test results so I can figure out what other supplements I should be taking.
    -weather has been gorgeous, which is certainly a mood lifter. However, I have about 60 research papers to grade though which is a drag. I'm going to balance one with the other, so it's all good!
    -my husband is very unhappy. he is angry at everything and just generally never in a good mood. It it challenging for me because I'm a naturally upbeat person.
    -Bought 50.00 of awesome grassfed beef at Farmer's Market this morning.... what a treat!
    -Sleep has been ok... tough time falling asleep last few nights. Still working on this every night.

I guess that pretty much sums up the last few days. Food has been good - I did indulge in 2 glasses of red wine at book club last night. Had a great time with the girls!

I'm off now to finish chores and also need to get grading.
    Last edited by Angieh; 05-21-2011 at 01:06 PM.

Sleep - not good last night, but I'm pretty sure I know why. I had promised myself that I would grade at least 10 research papers yesterday -they take forever- but I didn't grade ANY (got a lot of gardening and chores done though!). So my procrastination gave me anxiety which of course affected my sleep. I've also cut down to one cup of coffee, but yesterday I indulged in 2 cups, and one was around 2pm. When will I learn?

I feel pretty good today despite the lack of good sleep. I'm grading now, and I know I will feel better once I chip away at this pile of papers.

B- coffee with coconut milk
    an hour later - really yummy "salad" of leftover chicken, avocado, 2 kalamata olives, 1 piece applewood thick cut bacon (Trader Joe's), 2 hard boiled eggs - chopped all that and stirred in a little commercial mayo (I haven't made homemade in about a month). I put this atop mixed greens salad. Pretty yummy and filling.
    S- while grading - 1/4 c. almonds
    L - skip (the breakfast was late and more of a brunch)
    D- will be grassfed burgers and broccoli most likely

Supps - krill oil, D, multi

Back to the papers!
    Last edited by Angieh; 05-22-2011 at 11:08 AM.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Why have I been off and on MDA for the last hour or so... oh yeah, I'm procrastinating.

Back to work!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast