Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Angie's Adrenal Adventure-- The Good, Bad, and Ugly page 2

Angieh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Have felt miserable all weekend. I was beyond exhausted Friday (rough week) and took an ambien cr my doctor had given to me a few weeks ago when I went in for a sore throat (I told him I wasn't sleeping well - he gave me 4 samples). Despite taking it, I slept restlessly, waking up a lot. I also started my period Friday (not supposed to get it until the 10th). WTH? I am normally right on schedule. The only 2 things I have done differently are upped my fish oil (actually krill which I just switched to) and I have been eating more dairy the last two weeks (mainly ricotta). And it was extremely heavy all weekend. Wonder if the krill oil or dairy could have affected my cycle?

I was gone all day yesterday - close to 11 pm when I got home (did have a couple hours at home in afternoon). Slept pretty well - woke up 3x for bathroom. Did not sleep 8 hours though... more like 7. Would have liked to have slept 10 or so. It's a horrible feeling to get out of bed in the morning exhausted and to stay that way all day long.

Felt queasy and headachey and crushingly tired all day. Also anxious and just keep thinking about all the things I need to do but don't have the energy too (weeding, grocery shopping, cleaning, grading, bill paying, etc.).

I have decided to get a cortisol/dhea test to see where I really am with all this. Not sure if I need to stop my ashawangda, Natural Calm, etc. before taking the test... and if so, for how long before I test?

After I get results, I will start supplements. And, I know I must minimize the stress and SOMEHOW get some sleep. I just cannot sleep well or long, and it's so frustrating because I'm so tired. The one steady is my diet - it's been pretty good. I can't imagine how much worse I would feel (and how much more I would weigh) if I were eating SAD.

The sad thing is I am realizing to minimize stress in my life (and get more rest), I truly need to quit teaching - at least at my current school. Sadly, I expect things are the same everywhere now. I cannot survive this job much longer - it is simply GRUELING. We have hardly any planning time - combine that with 4 preps and one horribly behaved class, and I am beyond worn out and stressed. It's always so much to do and so little time to do it. I am burned out. But what else can I do for work??? I am putting some serious thought to that question.

Time to put a pork loin in the oven and maybe grade a few papers. I can't believe how unbelievably whiney I sound in this thread.

Metismomma is offline Senior Member
    Holy crap woman. Sounds like a suck hole weekend!
    Ok, krill oil can cause some issues with your menstrual cycle. Well, actually the fish oil dosage can do that. I think there was a thread about that recently. It could be because it thins the blood, causing heavier periods than normal. Though why it would start earlier, no idea.
    Dairy...maybe, but I doubt it.
    I'm not sure about what supplements you need to stop when testing, I would be very interested in knowing too.
    I notice that you aren't taking vitamin C, you might want to add that one to your supplement supply.
    Other than that, thank god summer is coming. Unless you have a year-round school term.
    I wonder if you're getting sick maybe? Sounds like the flu
    Meanwhile, milk chocolate wafers and peanut butter=disgusting. Stick to dark chocolate.
    Calm the f**k down.

Metismomma - haha - was that a kit kat you indulged in? Leftover Easter candy, perhaps? That stuff truly does pale next to dark chocolate, doesn't it?

Thanks so much for the support AND the info on fish oil - I just googled it (couldn't find much, and I need to get to bed). But I am most definitely going to lay off the krill oil for a few days. I feel like I've lost a gallon of blood in 2 days!!! Also, I will likely add c to my regimen. I tend to take it in winter months and then lay off it during the warmer months (old wife's tale, maybe).

And yeah, come on SUMMER!

Night all.

It was a gift from a neighbor for the girls lol! Cote D'Or Mignonnette Lait Melk chocolat 34% cacao, and regular ole peanut butter. Dude, not enough cacoa. I grabbed some of my 88% but it was too late. The yuck had already overwhelmed me.
    I used to love KitKat, now the thought..*shudder*
    Have a good long restful sleep.
    Calm the f**k down.

Metis - the "gifts" get me every time. I had a candy bar (king size) and a brownie in my box this morning at work for Teacher Appreciation Week. I ate the brownie, and it wasn't even good. Why?? Did not eat the candy though!

Ok, just want to run down last couple days... the point is to document, so I need to do so.

Mon.
    Only 6 hours or so of sleep (and not a great deal over weekend)
    woke up feeling pretty wretched and never felt right all day. Extremely fuzzy headed, unfocused, a little anxious, some chest pain, extremely tingly feet, arms, hands, by end of day a whopper of headache. Very unproductive. Taught but got nothing graded or planned. On good note, period from hell finally tapered off.
    B- one cup coffee, coconut milk (was eating breakfast last week but didn't make time this week)
    L - leftover pork roast, spinach, 1/2 frozen raspberries
    S- pumpkin seeds (pepitas) - maybe 1/4 c.
    D- um... this is where it gets sketchy. I had little appetite and felt achey, tired, and just puny. I was craving popcorn, so I cooked a large bowl in coconut oil and put some melted butter and salt on it. That was my dinner. Not primal.
    S - just before bed I realized I was hungry (hmmm... could it have been my stellar dinner?), so I had about 1/3 c. ricotta with pecans (1 T.), few chocolate chips, squirt whipped cream, 1 T. maple syrup
    Supp- no ashwaganda - took True Calm, probiotic, unisom, 1/2 ambien -- before bed. Multi, 1 fish oil before lunch

Tue
    slept quite well! in bed by 9, asleep by 10 or soon after. woke few times but was able to fall back to sleep. about 8 hours. felt considerably better upon waking than yesterday and have felt better all around today - sharper mentally, more productive, still tingly feet, hands, no headache -- long, hard day though (Tue are 12+ hour days because it's my night school night).
    B- coffee with HWC
    L- egg salad with 2 eggs, storebought mayo this time
    S- spinach, about 2 bites of pork loin (tiny leftover portion)
    S-nut mix from snack machine at night school (BAD - has m and m things in it and all the bad oils - poor planning)
    D- salad, black olives, cheese, olive oil/basalmic
    S - probably something but need to get to bed.

No exercise

I'm feeling extremely UNprimal and almost imposter-ish. Not too happy about it either. We are having teacher appreciation week, and I ate one of many, many cookies in my mailbox this morning. It was an impulsive thing - no thought to it - just opened it and ate it. It wasn't very good and just sickly sweet. To top that off, we got coupons for Chik-fil-a, and I ate a sandwich. I took the meat off the bun, but the meat was just drenched in breading (gluten, gluten, gluten!).

Two days in a row of really nonprimal eating, and I feel YUCKY. I have been so compliant - really for a year now - done really well. But this week I feel it went to shit, and I feel pretty gross. I'm also super tired, and now I am bloated and icky feeling too... ugh.

I need to do some self care -- get some damn sleep for one, and I'm going on a walk right now. This is not a good week and eating junk simply makes everything worse. I'm not going to beat my self up, but I GOTTA DO BETTER. 'Nuff said.

Ah... much better day.

I only slept 7 hours or so, but it was pretty sound sleep. YES!

I made breakfast and ate before school - 2 eggs fried in bacon drippings. Simple, but still breakfast.

I have felt better today than yesterday and much better than Monday. Getting back on track.

B - 2 eggs in bacon drippings
    L - 1/2 c. ricotta with 1/2 c. blueberries (light because I didn't actually have more than 10 min to eat today)
    D- grassfed hamburger, cabbage, onions, and peppers sauteed in coconut oil (I will eat this at about 6pm here at night school).
    S- I'm sure I'll have a before bed snack.

Instead of going on a walk last night, I weeded about a third of our yet unplanted garden. It felt so good to accomplish something I have just been too darned tired to do. It was a beautiful night, and I listened to one of Robb's podcasts while I worked. He had Tim Ferris on - can't believe I didin't really know anything about him before listening to this podcast. I'm thinking of checking out the 4 hour body. I don't believe that much efficiency is actually possible for most people, including me, but the concepts are intriguing. Has anybody read it?

So glad to be back on track.... will be doing my cortisol/dhea test in about a week and trying to make some inroads with my suspected adrenal fatigue.

***adding
    -had a pack of nabs (artificial orange, glutenous peanut butter crackers) at work
    -half avocado with dinner too
    -about an ounce of cheddar cheese
    -1/2 ricotta, blueberries, splash HWC, choc chips, tablespoon maple syrup

Food not so good today after all.
    Last edited by Angieh; 05-05-2011 at 06:27 PM. Reason: adding evening food

Resisted the HUMONGOUS honey buns at work (dripping with frosting) for teacher appreciation week. Thank god today was the last day of the carb/gluten fest from hell!

Looking forward to the high school musical tonight -- Hairspray! My husband is the drummer.

Will report food, etc. later.

Hairspray! Yey! I love it!
    Calm the f**k down.

And it rocked! It's so great to see the kids performing, and my husband did an amazing job as well. Going tonight again for closing night.

Proctored the SATS this morning and read almost all of (about 3/4) of Dr. Wilson's book on Adrenal Fatigue. I'm going to go ahead and place my order for my saliva test today and for some supplements. Gotta run and get some things done. More later.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast